Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leohnard just may not be interested in the NFL. Those coaches do exist. Some really like the "shaping young men," aspect, the recruiting, the absence of the contracts and lesser egos. College coaches have far more authoritarian roles than NFL coaches.

And typically a lot more job security. I've moved with a young family, and it sucks. He's got 3 young kids, so I'm sure that played a role as well.

I was hoping he would go to the Packers but looking at it from his POV leaving UW would have to be really hard. Like HC or bust difficult.

The Badgers had a rough transitional year but that program feels like it's on the verge of really getting over the hump of the past few decades. He's so heavily invested there it would be so tough to jump ship now.

He also makes way more money than I thought at UW - this would have been a pay cut.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was hoping he would go to the Packers but looking at it from his POV leaving UW would have to be really hard. Like HC or bust difficult.

The Badgers had a rough transitional year but that program feels like it's on the verge of really getting over the hump of the past few decades. He's so heavily invested there it would be so tough to jump ship now.

He also makes way more money than I thought at UW - this would have been a pay cut.

I am pretty sure they offered him more than he's making now. But he made $10 million as a player so compensation might not be at the top of his list.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't think turning down an interview is ever a good idea unless a person is way overqualified to the point it's a waste of time.

If they did offer him more money that wouldn't surprise me, but wouldn't that make him the highest paid coordinator in the NFL? It's tough to say because I don't think those deals are public. But he made over a million at UW and isn't even in the top 20 assistants. I don't think any NFL assistants make a million dollars.

It makes sense. A college assistant has much more wide ranging duties than the pros. They're often the lead recruiter.

I don't think turning down an interview is ever a good idea unless a person is way overqualified to the point it's a waste of time.

If they did offer him more money that wouldn't surprise me, but wouldn't that make him the highest paid coordinator in the NFL? It's tough to say because I don't think those deals are public. But he made over a million at UW and isn't even in the top 20 assistants. I don't think any NFL assistants make a million dollars.

It makes sense. A college assistant has much more wide ranging duties than the pros. They're often the lead recruiter.

NFL coordinators make very good money. Mike Pettine made a salary of $2.5 million last year.

As someone who cares 1000x more about the Packers than Badgers (which I know is a fairly unique position around here, sorry), I have to say that this disturbs me greatly. Now that Leonhard has declined several opportunities to leave to go to vastly superior programs, it is abundantly clear that he has simply been burnishing his reputation in order to strengthen his position at UW.

And I have absolutely no ill will towards him for that choice. If he loves UW, I’m happy for him. But this is not at all a good look for the Packers, an organization that could frankly use a news cycle that helps dispel the all to accurate sense that it is a group that can manage success, but not achieve greatness. Everyone knows that they got stood up by their top choice, who was a homegrown childhood fan no less, which can’t help the brain trust’s reputation. As a result of Leonhard’s decision, the next DC is in the unenviable position of everyone knowing that he did not win the job outright, but by default.

At the end of the day, winning fixes everything, so if the D takes a huge step in the next year or two, or the Pack wins a title in that span, then no one will remember this. But if things start to slide on that side of the ball, this will be another stain in the personnel decision area that the org really doesn’t need. I am now a lot more concerned than I would have been if this news had never leaked. But to be fair, it’s not like I was filled with confidence about my team’s direction before this...

NFL coordinators make very good money. Mike Pettine made a salary of $2.5 million last year.

Where is that figure coming from? I've literally never seen his salary reported and given that Wade Phillips, in 2017 was the noted highest paid DC with a 3 year, 2.1mm deal it seems highly unlikely.

Literally every reputable source says the top OC/DCs in the NFL are now approaching 7 figures for the first time. There is no way Pettine made $2.5 million.

Where is that figure coming from? I've literally never seen his salary reported and given that Wade Phillips, in 2017 was the noted highest paid DC with a 3 year, 2.1mm deal it seems highly unlikely.

Literally every reputable source says the top OC/DCs in the NFL are now approaching 7 figures for the first time. There is no way Pettine made $2.5 million.

You may be correct. That salary has been attributed to him on several message boards, but it appears to come from a graph noting that was his salary in his final year as the Browns head coach.

It is surprising how difficult it is to determine what NFL assistants get paid. I do see a story here (https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/9/9/17837368/new-england-patriots-josh-mcdaniels-highest-paid-coordinator-in-the-nfl-indianapolis-colts) that says McDaniels is getting more than $4 million a year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The DC in Baltimore makes $3.25 million a year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/nfl/ravens/news/ravens-martindale-highest-paid

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't doubt that Pettine was on the higher end of DCs and a million wouldn't shock me given that he was a HC so it likely took a lot of money to talk him into coming back.

Garrett also made a ton as an assistant in Dallas. It happens, but is rare. In any case I was shocked that Leohnard makes 7 figures at UW. I had no idea NCAA coordinators made that much.

Sounds like Joe Barry is going to get the job over Evero. Gross. That's about as uninspiring of a DC hire as we could find.

Agreed. If Barry does end up being the choice, that's terrible. The guy has already had two shots to lead an NFL defense, and was an abject failure both times. I would have rather just hung on to Pettine if Barry is the alternative.

As someone who cares 1000x more about the Packers than Badgers (which I know is a fairly unique position around here, sorry), I have to say that this disturbs me greatly. Now that Leonhard has declined several opportunities to leave to go to vastly superior programs, it is abundantly clear that he has simply been burnishing his reputation in order to strengthen his position at UW.

And I have absolutely no ill will towards him for that choice. If he loves UW, I’m happy for him. But this is not at all a good look for the Packers, an organization that could frankly use a news cycle that helps dispel the all to accurate sense that it is a group that can manage success, but not achieve greatness. Everyone knows that they got stood up by their top choice, who was a homegrown childhood fan no less, which can’t help the brain trust’s reputation. As a result of Leonhard’s decision, the next DC is in the unenviable position of everyone knowing that he did not win the job outright, but by default.

At the end of the day, winning fixes everything, so if the D takes a huge step in the next year or two, or the Pack wins a title in that span, then no one will remember this. But if things start to slide on that side of the ball, this will be another stain in the personnel decision area that the org really doesn’t need. I am now a lot more concerned than I would have been if this news had never leaked. But to be fair, it’s not like I was filled with confidence about my team’s direction before this...

Word around Madison is that Leonhard wants to be a head coach and career decisions he will make will all be towards achieving that goal. People see an NFL coordinating job as some sort of big step but it might not be with all the other factors that figure in the mix. He goes to Green Bay and the quarterback gets big money and that could directly affect what he has to work with on the defense. He goes to Green Bay and the QB tears an ACL in week one and the team sucks and that makes the whole team look bad. In Madison the head coach lets him do what he wants and he doesn't have to worry about a miscommunication where "two-man" is said but "man" is heard and when that happens the defensive coordinator is the one that looks bad. UW has a really solid system in place with the system/recruiting and Leonhard is 100% on the same page as the head coach and the athletic director. He likely feels good that if he stays in Madison that the team and his defense will continue to have success and he won't get sabotaged by stepping in a different situation where there are numerous things that have to be dealt with that would be completely outside of his control.

Sounds like Joe Barry is going to get the job over Evero. Gross. That's about as uninspiring of a DC hire as we could find.

Agreed. If Barry does end up being the choice, that's terrible. The guy has already had two shots to lead an NFL defense, and was an abject failure both times. I would have rather just hung on to Pettine if Barry is the alternative.

Yep. This is a desirable position with talented players. Please tell me we can do better than this guy. It doesn’t have to be Leonhard or bust. Evero would be a fine choice.

Joe Barry as DC for Detroit:

The 422 pass completions that Detroit surrendered in 2007 is an NFL record. The 70.1% completion percentage against the Lions defense was the worst in league history until it was broken by the Colts in 2011.

While this would be a boring hire I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in a dead-last ranked defense from 13 years ago, including a team that went 0-16. I have a feeling the problems in Detroit extended far beyond the DC. Short stints in two of the worst run franchises in all of football don't hold that much merit to me.

This guy is obviously highly regarded. He was just poached from one team to another and may get poached again. There's a long history of hum-drum ranked assistants doing a lot with better opportunities. The coaching community has a better idea of capability than the rankings an assistant has with poor-talent rosters.

In other words, I don't think fans really know anything about assistant coaches.

I personally prefer Evero over Barry and don't know if if either are my top choice with Leonhard no longer an option. If LaFleur does pick Barry, it won't be because he doesn't have a large number of references to check with - McVay, Phillips, Olivadotti, etc. Staley must also think fairly highly of Barry as he chose him over Evero and Pleasant to follow him to the Chargers as passing game coordinator.

While this would be a boring hire I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in a dead-last ranked defense from 13 years ago, including a team that went 0-16. I have a feeling the problems in Detroit extended far beyond the DC. Short stints in two of the worst run franchises in all of football don't hold that much merit to me.

This guy is obviously highly regarded. He was just poached from one team to another and may get poached again. There's a long history of hum-drum ranked assistants doing a lot with better opportunities. The coaching community has a better idea of capability than the rankings an assistant has with poor-talent rosters.

In other words, I don't think fans really know anything about assistant coaches.

Look at the players that Detriot defense had...

I mean...Washington had ALMOST no talent outside of Ryan Kerrigan and Chris Baker, but Detroit didn't have ONE guy you'd say is a building block.

LDE Jared DeVries

LDT Shaun Rogers

RDT Cory Redding

RDE Dewayne White

LLB Boss Bailey

MLB Paris Lenon

RLB Ernie Sims

LCB Fernando Bryant

RCB Travis Fisher

SS Kenoy Kennedy

FS Gerald Alexander

Is there ONE player in that group you'd say was even a good player? Ernie Sims was a top 10 pick(the only 1st rounder I believe) who was drafted from FSU with concussion and health issues and didn't last long.

I'd have thought we would have learned our lesson after complaining about the Matt LaFleur hiring because he led the 27th ranked offense in Tenn the year we hired him.

I couldn't care less what a guy's team ranked when he was their coordinator over a very small period of time.

I don't like Barry...mainly because I don't know enough about him to have strong feelings one way or the other. I would also have preferred Evero, but that's based on really surface-level stuff. Reading his bio and just...I guess that he was younger and seemed to be well-liked by his players.

But as I said from the start, I don't really know anything about any of these guys beyond what their Bio's say, so it really seems kinda silly to get upset about THIS particular hiring because when he was on MAYBE the worst run organization in the NFL with absolutely no talent...he did poorly.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't doubt that Pettine was on the higher end of DCs and a million wouldn't shock me given that he was a HC so it likely took a lot of money to talk him into coming back.

Garrett also made a ton as an assistant in Dallas. It happens, but is rare. In any case I was shocked that Leohnard makes 7 figures at UW. I had no idea NCAA coordinators made that much.

They usually don't...and especially at UW. The Packers had to have known it'd take a significant pay raise to get Leonhard away from UW. But we likely won't know what they offered him.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."