Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

I'm excited from a pure football/Packer fan standpoint to have an offense that still has a nice talented weapon like Aaron Jones on it, Brew. I will do my best to adequately express that in my initial reactions next time.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear! It just did not read that way in the first 10 posts on the resigning...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe that’s not the complaint but signing highly talented players to surround Rodgers with for sure has been and they’ve just did it today.it will help them win games. It’s a good thing.

The thing is, you can be excited to have Aaron Jones back and realize he makes us a better team, and still question whether the money spend on him and the pick spend on Dillon is the best use of our resources.

You can be both of those people -- and I'm definitely one.

You can definitely do that. Or, we can acknowledge that Gute has a pretty good track record of success when he 'goes off the beaten path a bit' and give him the benefit of the doubt, which I understand that most fans aren't willing to do for whatever reason....

I'm glad Gute is our GM and he's done a good job.

As with any other general manager/manager there will still be personnel moves and in-game moves that I don't necessarily agree with, and I may say so at the time. But I do acknowledge when I end up being wrong about said moves. Absolutely I thought Gary was a very questionable move, for example and it looks like it could end up being a pick that really pays off.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I can't think of a single person that isn't happy for our offense with Jones back. But if it means we can't repair the OL, DL, CB and other spots with serious holes... I think that is where people hesitate. If we were still $20M under the cap, I don't think anyone would worry about the residual impacts of signing Jones.

I can't think of a single person that isn't happy for our offense with Jones back. But if it means we can't repair the OL, DL, CB and other spots with serious holes... I think that is where people hesitate. If we were still $20M under the cap, I don't think anyone would worry about the residual impacts of signing Jones.

Absolutely this. These moves are not in a vacuum. Independent of everything else, of course I would be happy to have Aaron Jones back in the fold. But does it mean that our #2 starting corner will be coming from the discount bin next season? Well if it does, I think I would have rather just rolled with Dillon and a cheap backup to him.

Someone is going to have to give up a 2nd-rounder for Tonyan if they want him. Packers placed a $3.384 million tender on him. I think this probably sets in motion him being a Packer this season and possibly a longer-term contract coming up.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think I've talked myself into signing Patrick Peterson as the team's new #2 corner. Very similar career arch to Charles Woodson, at least so far. Woodson was a little more injury-prone in his first stint with the Raiders. Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

A 2nd round tender for Tonyan is the correct decision. It's not cost-prohibitive but we won't just lose him for nothing. I'd have to think long and hard about letting him just walk for the 2nd if someone signs him to an offer sheet.

A 2nd round tender for Tonyan is the correct decision. It's not cost-prohibitive but we won't just lose him for nothing. I'd have to think long and hard about letting him just walk for the 2nd if someone signs him to an offer sheet.

It depends on how the contract is structured. If one of the teams that has a lot of cap room puts together a front-loaded deal, the Packers may just have to take the 2nd and walk away. A team like the Jaguars or Jets could easily do that, and the Packers would end up with a pick in the high 30s. That wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, although truth be told, I'd rather have Tonyan back.

Yep, I'd strongly consider it. Problem is, teams that are an offensive player-or-two away aren't dumb enough to give up capital like that for a TE with one year of success. The teams that are dumb enough to do it (and, hypothetically, would place the 2nd attractively high in the 2nd round), aren't a TE away.

Seems unlikely he'll get an offer now, but how great would it be to Bill O'Brien a high/mid 2nd from some team for him?

A team like the Jaguars or Jets could easily do that, and the Packers would end up with a pick in the high 30s.

I suppose that's the dream. You'd have to be confident that the combo of Sternberger/Deguara are ready to take a big leap forward, as TE is ultra-weak in the draft this year. But a high 2nd would be gigantic to this team in a cap-crunch year.

A team like the Jaguars or Jets could easily do that, and the Packers would end up with a pick in the high 30s.

I suppose that's the dream. You'd have to be confident that the combo of Sternberger/Deguara are ready to take a big leap forward, as TE is ultra-weak in the draft this year. But a high 2nd would be gigantic to this team in a cap-crunch year.

It's a weak FA class too. With Jonnu and Henry off the board, Tonyan is probably next up, and it isn't particularly close. Then you're looking at potentially over-the-hill vets like Kyle Rudolph, Jared Cook, or Tyler Eifert, or perpetually injured guys like Jesse James, Jacob Hollister or Jordan Reed. About the only names that would intrigue me are Gerald Everett or Jake Butt.

I am okay with bringing back Aaron Jones because it seems like we got a pretty good deal. Had we paid market price or gotten into a bidding war...no thanks.

However, it is frustrating that the top two picks we had last year did very little their first year and even this year both will have minimal impact. Not to say Dillon won't play a bigger role, but a 2nd round RB should be a real good starter...not a 2nd stringer. Of course it is easy to go into the past and look at who they could have drafted. Reality is their second option at each pick might have been an even worse player in the end. Of course at least we did something useful for Rodgers to help keep an elite offense intact.

However, it is frustrating that the top two picks we had last year did very little their first year and even this year both will have minimal impact. Not to say Dillon won't play a bigger role, but a 2nd round RB should be a real good starter...not a 2nd stringer.

The Packers rotate RBs more than most teams due to their usage in the passing game, and Jones' small stature to keep him fresh. It's not the old days of a 25-carry one horse RB show. Dillon will be a huge part of the offense this year.

Do 1st/2nd round RFAs ever actually get offer sheets and move to other teams for compensation? Maybe I just don't pay much attention because I cannot think of any examples in recent history of it actually happening.

My guess would be that the 2nd round tag scares teams off, but we'll see. What I wouldn't venture a guess on is whether or not Tonyan actually ends up playing for the tender or signs a long-term deal.

My guess would be that the 2nd round tag scares teams off, but we'll see. What I wouldn't venture a guess on is whether or not Tonyan actually ends up playing for the tender or signs a long-term deal.

It's probably more beneficial for the team to actually have him play out the tender, because the vet minimum plus any kind of prorated bonus probably gets you to a $3mil cap number as it is.

However, it is frustrating that the top two picks we had last year did very little their first year and even this year both will have minimal impact. Not to say Dillon won't play a bigger role, but a 2nd round RB should be a real good starter...not a 2nd stringer.

The Packers rotate RBs more than most teams due to their usage in the passing game, and Jones' small stature to keep him fresh. It's not the old days of a 25-carry one horse RB show. Dillon will be a huge part of the offense this year.

Sure, but you can get a complement RB in the 4th-5th rounds if that is really what one is after. Dillon may be good, but it isn't an efficient use of resources at face value. We will see what his role ends up being. Considering his draft position he better create a two-headed monster in the backfield and not be a complement RB.

I am guessing they drafted Love in part due to Rodgers age and possible decline. They also probably drafted Dillon with low expectations of Aaron Jones coming back on a team friendly deal. Unfortunate in retrospect, but I guess I am not complaining Rodgers ended up the MVP and Jones came back cheaper than one would have thought. If we are going to have unexpected problems this isn't a bad one to have.

Dillon may be good, but it isn't an efficient use of resources at face value..

People keep saying this, but what is it actually based on? The idea that occasionally a guy with lesser draft status contributes? What about the guys that ARE drafted high that contribute?

People keep saying this, but what is it actually based on? The idea that occasionally a guy with lesser draft status contributes? What about the guys that ARE drafted high that contribute?

That's just it, though. For every late round Aaron Jones success story, there are 30 Dexter Williams types who barely make a ripple. It is possible that Dillon may not amount to much in the end, but the small sample so far looks promising, and given his draft status, he's going to be given every opportunity to contribute.

Not really sure. They've got the perfect RB combo...assuming Dillon is good in pass-pro(the only arena Williams really stood out).

They got a back with nearly identical measurables to Derek Henry and he ran pretty damn good as well. And he had a track record. Just because you got Aaron Jones in the 5th round doesn't ensure you'll be able to get someone of Dillon's caliber there. We also missed on Dexter Williams in the later rounds.

Jones took a discount to play in Green Bay. He didn't get a big signing bonus, I'm really struggling to see the problem here. The Packers system relies on being able to run the ball. It's a big part of what made Rodgers so successful last year. He had the BEST year of his career with a WR'ing core that everyone was upset we didn't add to and unproven TE's.

On paper, that group should be better this year. This IS Gutey being aggressive. It's just as Snapper pointed out, because it's retaining a player and not going out and signing another, people don't seem as excited about it.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."