Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

The Packers are weird. What exactly did we spend a 2nd on Dillon for again?

Because Lafleur's scheme works best with multiple backs that offer different specialties. And this all but guarantees that Jamaal Williams will be playing elsewhere. Dillon is basically Williams' replacement as the power back.

Dillon and Jones are going to be a LOT of fun to watch together next year. They compliment each other perfectly.

This is a good deal and I don't see how it makes the AJ Dillon pick bad all of a sudden. I've seen this take on Twitter also. Take Williams carries and give them to Dillon and I think it makes our offense much more dangerous.

They signed Jones to a contract that's not going to kill them and they get Dillon and Jones, just about the ideal combination, together for another year. What exactly is not to like about this?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodgers is going to continue to get older and just had his most successful season throwing the ball off play action. That’s going to continue to be a staple of the MLF offense and will help Rodgers continue to stay healthy. Or at least give him a better chance to.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't think it means anything in regard to Dillon. There's plenty of opportunity in the offense for both to shine. Depth is always good. That said, I don't really like the move. I'd have rather invested elsewhere and gone with Dillon and some much cheaper, less flashy vet. But I could be underestimating the kind of dynamic player Jones is.

I will say to be fair that the $13M seems like a really low signing bonus. Haven't seen all the contract details but it feels like it's set up where they could walk away in a year or two if they really had to.

It's all about the guaranteed money; these deals are always artificially inflated to make the agents look good. Players almost never see the last year of the deal before being released or restructured - sometimes the last two years. I think even without the drop in the salary cap it was quite possible that both Smiths got restructured this year and certainly restructured or released before the 2022 season.

The real question is going to be 2022. Rodgers, Bakh, Adams, Jones, Clark, Z. Smith, Alexander, Amos, P. Smith... they're already at $197M for 2022 with only 28 players signed, and all of these restructures mean more dead cap space in 2022 if they have to release guys. Preston Smith and Billy Turner, if released, will now account for a combined $11.5M in dead cap space.

I will say to be fair that the $13M seems like a really low signing bonus. Haven't seen all the contract details but it feels like it's set up where they could walk away in a year or two if they really had to.

It's all about the guaranteed money; these deals are always artificially inflated to make the agents look good. Players almost never see the last year of the deal before being released or restructured - sometimes the last two years. I think even without the drop in the salary cap it was quite possible that both Smiths got restructured this year and certainly restructured or released before the 2022 season.

The real question is going to be 2022. Rodgers, Bakh, Adams, Jones, Clark, Z. Smith, Alexander, Amos, P. Smith... they're already at $197M for 2022 with only 28 players signed, and all of these restructures mean more dead cap space in 2022 if they have to release guys. Preston Smith and Billy Turner, if released, will now account for a combined $11.5M in dead cap space.

I'm good with that. That's what they should be doing. Going for it while they have the talent, while Rodgers is healthy. They can push the cap hit down the road.

But they've got 10 picks this year and hopefully as the cap recovers it won't be quite as cumbersome.

I would amend that to say it's all about likely to be earned money, I think they are counting on him for a couple of years so his base and roster bonuses in year 1 and 2 is meaningful as well. I will be interested in the details when we see them. In the end I just don't like spending on a RB in today's NFL ad worry about his durability.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It is great to retain Jones because he is an impact player. I'm mixed about the contract as others have been. But perhaps this ends up being a two-year deal or so.

But either way, the offense improved today.

I think Jones is the ultimate C grade signing. I’m happy he is back but if he wasn’t resigned and resources were allocated elsewhere I would have understood and been ok with it.

More fully convinced packers need to focus on offensive line and cornerback for days 1 and 2 of the draft.

If they extend Linsley I will be convinced there is no such thing as a cap.

Maybe we are just going go have a year where we have 53 guys signed to the veteran minimum and use the rest of the cap to eat all our dead contracts.

Maybe we are just going go have a year where we have 53 guys signed to the veteran minimum and use the rest of the cap to eat all our dead contracts.

That's fairly close to reality, and what they should be doing. Some of us have been calling for this for a longggg time. Give Rodgers a couple more years with as much talent around him as possible. If they have $50MM in dead cap 4 years down the road, sobeit. You can rebuild fast in the NFL.

That's fairly close to reality, and what they should be doing. Some of us have been calling for this for a longggg time. Give Rodgers a couple more years with as much talent around him as possible. If they have $50MM in dead cap 4 years down the road, sobeit. You can rebuild fast in the NFL.

It actually makes sound business sense if you think about it. Circumvent the cap to spend what you want for years and then just have one single year where you bite the bullet and then start fresh again.

Absolutely. It made sense to be smart with the cap when Rodgers was 30. Not at this point in his career. Look at how the Cowboys, the Saints, the 49'ers, the Buccs, how they've all handled the cap.

And it's not like you have to really give up on your long-term planning. It's usually a one-year hit. You eat a ton of dead money for a year and then you're back. The Saints will still be a young, talented team next year and they'll likely have a lot of salary cap room heading into the 2022 NFL season.

I don't have a problem with drafting Jordan Love because you thought he was a great value on the board there...or AJ Dillon or Deguara. I do have a problem with you NOT filling immediate needs and leaving players like Lancaster to fill in when you could just backload some more money and face the consequences in 2024 or whenever.

As best as I can understand it, it's really just about Cash. Cash to pay for Signing bonuses that you spread over years that you don't intend to keep a player. If you're willing to spend cash...and face the inevitable year of cap hell, the Packers could just about do anything this off-season. Trade for Gilmore and sign him to an extension. Trade for Orlando Brown and sign him(though there are obvious problems there).

My question is...if you're not willing to do this when you've got arguably the BEST QB to ever play the position...when will you? Will you in 6 years when you've got Jordan Love who is HOPEFULLY a top 10 QB?

To be fair though, I was just upset they didn't franchise Jones and thought it was about 10 pct because they planned to re-sign him and about 90 because they planned to walk...and now they have very possibly the best backfield in the NFL. So maybe they'll be doing what we're asking for this off-season.

The start of the 'legal tampering' period today is a nice benefit to a team like Green Bay that is up against the cap- they can get guys 'signed' and know exactly how much restructuring they need to do prior to Wednesday's cap deadline. It'll be interesting to see what they do today and tomorrow....

The start of the 'legal tampering' period today is a nice benefit to a team like Green Bay that is up against the cap- they can get guys 'signed' and know exactly how much restructuring they need to do prior to Wednesday's cap deadline. It'll be interesting to see what they do today and tomorrow....

I would be surprised if they did anything right out of the gate as they did a couple of years ago. If they did, I'd guess it'd be for a WR'er or a DL, but I would guess they'll wait for the second and third waves to pick up what will almost certainly be a very long list of good, veterans who will get cut.,

That said, if they came away from Day 1 with Curtis Samuel and Shelby Harris, I would be very happy.

Also as an aside, Preston Smith just moved way up the list of my favorite Packers. He took a cut to stay with the team and that move alone made it not only possible to extend Jones, but now they don't have to rely on a Garvin-like edge rusher to be their #3.

That said, maybe our #12 should take a look at what #12 in Tampa just did....AGAIN in order to free up 19 million dollars so they can bring back just about everyone from that team. I am curious what Rodgers would say if the Packers came in and said, "that money that we'd be saving, that's going to Kenny Golladay." Would that entice Rodgers enough to help work with them to reduce his cap hit more than just the standard restructuring? That might be the most surprising FA signing the Packers have had since Reggie....if they were to do that.

I would be surprised if they did anything right out of the gate as they did a couple of years ago.

They signed 'lesser tier' free agents in Wagner and Kirksey during the tampering period last year as well, so it's not as though they have to be in on the big guys first, which they're obviously unlikely to be regardless.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they sign one of the many solid slot corners before Wednesday.

Obviously, Jones was their priority and they likely focused on getting that deal done, but has there been anything out there about talks between Linsley or King and GB? You'd have to think one or both will be gone, possibly this afternoon...

CB should be a free agent priority. I am hoping we can get at least an adequate starter in free agency and then spend our first or second on another. My wishlist also includes a defensive lineman as the draft doesn't look great for that.

The Packers seemingly focused previously on maximizing their comp picks where possible, so it'll be interesting to see how they approach things over the next few days. Linsley and King could both next picks, with Linsley's hypothetically a nice one. As such, it'll be interesting to see if they look at cut players like Hayward vs. comp free agents like Hill or Poole that might be better 'scheme' fits.

The Packers seemingly focused previously on maximizing their comp picks where possible, so it'll be interesting to see how they approach things over the next few days. Linsley and King could both next picks, with Linsley's hypothetically a nice one. As such, it'll be interesting to see if they look at cut players like Hayward vs. comp free agents like Hill or Poole that might be better 'scheme' fits.

They should get a decent pick for Williams as well, as he seemingly has a pretty robust market.

They should get a decent pick for Williams as well, as he seemingly has a pretty robust market.

Yes, thanks. Completely forgot about Williams...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Packers are non-tendering Raven Greene, which is no surprise considering the finances. @$2.1 million, he wasn't coming back this year.

Also rumblings about the Packers expressing interest in Vikings' center Brett Jones, FWIW. He's really a depth guy at this point and has bounced around a bit/been on IR, but he's graded out well in pass blocking throughout most of his career.

Yes, thanks. Completely forgot about Williams...

I think Linsley, King and Williams are really the only guys who stand a good chance of bringing back a decent comp pick in 2022. Probably a 3rd for Linsley, and perhaps 5ths for King and Williams. It is also possible they could grab an additional 7th for losing the collective of guys like M. Adams, Ervin, Redmond and Winn, and that is assuming they don't sign anyone, which seems unlikely.

Williams appears to be saying his goodbyes via twitter right now. Not sure if he's got a deal in place, or if he's just semi-officially been told that the Packers won't be bringing him back. It was academic after Jones signing, obviously.