Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Non existent where? Here? No one has suggested this here recently, though it has been suggested in the past. But it's literally all over twitter.

I assumed you meant on here. Otherwise, the pushing back is against what people somewhere are saying?

As the comment was in reference to what a reporter was posting on Twitter, and a poster here indicating that he was blocked by the guy on Twitter. As such, part of my post in response to that was regarding discussions on Twitter.

I just haven't heard this narrative from really any Packers fans.

Fair enough, but I have. On Twitter, for example.

I said I believed they could push the problems down the road, but that I didn't think there were "no problems."

Sure. But again, wasn't talking about you.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no surprise Wagner as cut, Kiksley is. He did have a decent season. Packers still have 10MM to go to reach the 180MM salary cap.

Kirksey was as much of a lock as there possibly could be. Not shocked on Wagner, but did think there was a chance they'd keep him due to Bakh's injury.

Repeat after me the salary cap is not $180m that is just the floor. Right now the salary cap is unknown at this time for the 2021 season.

You're terminology is inviting confusion. The salary floor is the lowest amount teams can spend on their roster under the CBA.

The Salary cap represents the maximum the team can spend.

The League has indicated the cap number will be no lower than $180m (up from the projected $175m being suggested during the 2020 season), but might be higher than that.

no surprise Wagner as cut, Kiksley is. He did have a decent season. Packers still have 10MM to go to reach the 180MM salary cap.

Kirksey was as much of a lock as there possibly could be. Not shocked on Wagner, but did think there was a chance they'd keep him due to Bakh's injury.

I get that the packers will have Martin and Barnes, but he did end the season well. I guess 7 MM in cap space when you have guys that can do it just as well makes it predictable after all.

Yep, the question now is who is going to be the other starting tackle? Something tells me it's more likely that they are targeting several OTs with their 1st round pick (Leatherwood, Eichenberg, Mayfield, Radunz, Slater. Cosmi) than think that Nijman is ready to start.

I wonder if Wagner will pull a Lane Taylor and there is an agreement to come back at a lower salary.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
They've also got Stepaniak at OT that they drafted last year. He was hurt most of the season but came back to practice right around the last game of the year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Jenkins can play any position. Tackle is a more demanding position, so it wouldn't surprise if he works there all off-season allowing them to put their best athletes there and fill in holes at guard which is generally easier to do. Although they probably would have done it last year if they wanted to. But they have a lot of options.

Jenkins can play any position. Tackle is a more demanding position, so it wouldn't surprise if he works there all off-season allowing them to put their best athletes there and fill in holes at guard which is generally easier to do. Although they probably would have done it last year if they wanted to. But they have a lot of options.

I’m 99% sure they’re planning on Jenkins replacing Linsley at center. Not sure if they’d plan for him to play tackle and have to sign a different center until Bakh is back?

Repeat after me the salary cap is not $180m that is just the floor. Right now the salary cap is unknown at this time for the 2021 season.

Unknown is correct, however it won't be over $185M. Thinking the cap will somehow equal last seasons of $198M or magically increase to the ~$210M it would have likely jumped to in 2021 had their not been a pandemic that crippled gameday attendance revenues is pointless. If there will be some magic that sets the cap close to ~$200M we wouldn't be seeing starters-when-healthy on both sides of the ball on a team who made the NFC championship game get cut to shave $10M off their 2021 cap number.

Unknown is correct, however it won't be over $185M. Thinking the cap will somehow equal last seasons of $198M or magically increase to the ~$210M it would have likely jumped to in 2021 had their not been a pandemic that crippled gameday attendance revenues is pointless. If there will be some magic that sets the cap close to ~$200M we wouldn't be seeing starters-when-healthy on both sides of the ball on a team who made the NFC championship game get cut to shave $10M off their 2021 cap number.

I really don't understand where this is coming from. It's just not true. There was speculation that the cap could reach 240 this year(prior to Covid obviously).

There have been a lot of agents and writers talking about them splitting up the cap hit over 2 years which could see the cap go as high as 200 this year.

The NFL by all accounts wants to wait until they finalize their next TV deal, which I know I'm repeating myself, but is expected to jump to over 100 billion for the next 10 seasons. They're adding a 17th game, they've added a playoff spot and as such extra playoff games.

The Cap could be 180 or 185...I doubt it and I've said as much all year long. If it that low though, then it's a near certainty the Cap would make a huge leap next year. I'm guessing the NFL would also like to push off finalizing the cap as long as possible so they can get a better idea of what attendance would look like next year, though if there aren't fans in the stands, there are far bigger problems than the Salary cap at this point.

Again, I believe the cap will end up being close to the same as it was last season, but that's obviously not a given.

Why don't we all just agree that the Cap is going to be tight and while the Packers CAN sign players, no matter what it is this year, they're going to have to backload contracts and they'll have to take some cap hits in the future as a result....at least until we find out what it's actually going to be.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Yep, the question now is who is going to be the other starting tackle? Something tells me it's more likely that they are targeting several OTs with their 1st round pick (Leatherwood, Eichenberg, Mayfield, Radunz, Slater. Cosmi) than think that Nijman is ready to start.

I wonder if Wagner will pull a Lane Taylor and there is an agreement to come back at a lower salary.

This would be ideal. If the Packers could find a really good young tackle who could play either side, that would be the best thing they could do for Rodgers over the final 2-3, however many years he has left. I'd also add Spencer Brown to that list. Sounds like he's moving up draft boards pretty quickly and could end up being in consideration at the end of the first. That'd be a bigger risk, but could be worth it. Though we all know Gute likes to move up in the draft, so maybe he targets someone if a guy like Darrisaw is there around 20.

When the Packers lose, they lose because the other team can put pressure on Rodgers(which I know isn't exactly a hot take), but that has to be their top priority and cutting Wager would seem to signal they're looking at Tackle as a position they want to upgrade. Get better at OT and DE and things get easier for everyone else.

Also, agree on Kirksey. That was pretty much a given. Even if the Packers had 60 million in cap space, not sure he was worth keeping around. Martin looked really good at times last year. Barnes wasn't as splashy, but I guess he was more reliable. If you can upgrade the DL, not even Watt necessarily, but just a solid upgrade, with another year, they both look better. Summers is also a nice-looking young LB'er, though ideally more of a ST'er.

I guess it's possible the Packers think Nijman can start. Us Fans haven't gotten to see anything from him since the pre-season two years ago, but, again, a great athlete, the size and ability to play Tackle. I also have faith that these coaches are pretty good at getting guys ready to play. So maybe they believe they've got a starting tackle in him. They have stuck with him for a while now...but again, you can take a tackle and they can always move inside.

I'm thinking a lot of mid-level vets are going to be cut this year and resign for lower deals. With the consistent tighter caps around the league, if you aren't one of the key players, this will happen often. Given Wagner's ties to WI, I'd think he'd be interested in returning.

Jenkins at Tackle makes the most sense to me. When we drafted him, I just assumed he wasn't capable of playing tackle...otherwise, he would have in College. But we've seen him play there and he was very solid.

That and the fact that the Packers have Patrick, who played well at Center last year, Hanson, a young guy who could get a look, and a number of options at guard, at least until Bahk comes back, that's the move I'd make.

They've also got Stepaniak at OT that they drafted last year. He was hurt most of the season but came back to practice right around the last game of the year.

I think it's a long shot he ever plays tackle in the NFL. Sounds like a pretty stiff guy, more of a mauler, but he could certainly fill in at guard.

I'm thinking a lot of mid-level vets are going to be cut this year and resign for lower deals. With the consistent tighter caps around the league, if you aren't one of the key players, this will happen often. Given Wagner's ties to WI, I'd think he'd be interested in returning.

This would be my only hesitation in signing someone right out of the gate to a larger contract. Even Watt. I think I'd get over it, but there are going to be a lot of Pro-Bowl caliber players or good starers who will have to take much less this year to play. It's going to be the mid-tier players who feel the effects more than anyone else. The young studs we've seen are still getting paid. The superstars, they're still getting the big money. It's the Preston Smith types. Marvin Jones, etc...

Guys like Goodwin, Robinson, Golladay, Shaq Barrett, Bud Dupree(and on) will still likely get big deals, maybe just more creatively structured.

It'll be an interesting off-season.

He only played guard at Indiana and is listed as a guard on the roster. Unlikely they think he's a tackle.

Agreed, but I think those players will sign one-year deals hoping the cap will bounce back, or they may take a year off to heal their body rather than play for the vet minimum and try to come back in 2022.

Hearing that Wagner has been dealing with a knee issue and is considering retirement. With $40M in career earning, I certainly couldn't blame him for walking away, or at least taking a year off to heal.

He only played guard at Indiana and is listed as a guard on the roster. Unlikely they think he's a tackle.

You're right. For some reason CBS (and others) had him listed at a tackle after the draft.

BuNHx1E.png

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Silverstein straight up says that the Packers' cap issues will keep them from signing JJ Watt.

This SI article doesn't seem to feel the Packers would have any trouble finding cap room to fit Watt, if that's something they really want to do.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/.amp/news/money-isnt-issue-for-packers-watt

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I've long thought that despite their jobs covering the NFL, long-term beat guys like Silverstein don't really seem to get the cap intricacies much.

Totally possible he's wrong. "The Packers are not going to sign Watt" is pretty strong wording, however. Unless he doesn't care about his reputation at all, a beat writer is pretty sure of himself to make a statement like that.

Yeah, he saw first hand that McGinn's incorrect hot takes basically cost him his credibility.

But, I really think that the media guys are buying in way to much to the 'Packers have an insurmountable cap disaster on their hands' that they seem to be furthering. As that cap number bleeds upwards from the league, the situation is less dire.

And Tom mentions 'guys they need to re-sign', as if he thinks their bigger UFAs are going to be coming back, which I think all of us have long accepted isn't happening. They're not resigning Jones. They've made no attempt to sign Linsley. If they resign King, it's to a far lesser deal than he may otherwise have received. Beyond that, they're not re-signing anyone that uses significant cap room.

They can sign Watt if they want to. The cap won't keep them from doing so. If he's implying that the team doesn't want to, that's one thing. But I didn't read his tweet that way.