Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

I love how people assume that once Rodgers is gone, this team is suddenly going to revert to the 1980s Packers where players were sent as a punishment. As much as some fans like to rag on the team for not "getting Rodgers more Super Bowls", this team is still going to be a well run cash cow after Rodgers is gone. It will still be an extremely talented team after Rodgers decides to hang up his spikes, or is traded, or however else he leaves.

Considering the team's record when Rodgers doesn't play and Jordan Love is next in line, I think it's a fair assumption.

Jordan Love is an absolute blank slate. No one knows what he's going to do. If you claim to know how good of an NFL QB he's going to be, you're lying.

Excuse me if I'm skeptical about a quarterback that led the nation in interceptions and couldn't crack second string despite being a first round pick that Gute traded up for.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Not cracking 2nd string" is a bunch of nonsense. He had no preseason. There was no chance he was going to be the gameday backup. He'd have been starting if Rodgers got hurt in about 2 weeks. Aaron Rodgers was 3rd string once to Craig Nall. That trope needs to be put to death.

He was also 32-6 TD/INT the season before. The team was awful his junior year.

"Not cracking 2nd string" is a bunch of nonsense. He had no preseason. There was no chance he was going to be the gameday backup. He'd have been starting if Rodgers got hurt in about 2 weeks. Aaron Rodgers was 3rd string once to Craig Nall. That trope needs to be put to death.

Exactly. Boyle has been in the offense for years, and is instrumental in playcalling and communication.

Also, why does Love's senior year always get brought up by detractors, but not his junior year? He had a much better supporting cast his junior season.

We're in an era where if you're a first round draft pick you're most certainly going to be the starter from the get go. Not having a training camp doesn't really fly with me either. You know the old saying, toward the end of the season, you're not a rookie anymore.

We're in an era where if you're a first round draft pick you're most certainly going to be the starter from the get go.

That's simply because most NFL teams don't have the luxury to draft a young QB in the 1st round and let him sit and learn. Just because it hasn't happened recently doesn't mean it is not a smart thing to do.

We're in an era where if you're a first round draft pick you're most certainly going to be the starter from the get go.

So he should have been the starter?

And when did that era start? Patrick Mahomes went 10th and sat on the bench.

He literally had no preseason. No coach in the league would have gone to gameday with that over a guy who's been in the offense for years as the backup.

I've been highly critical of drafting Love in the first place, but this is just a spicy take you're making to be spicy. Him "not cracking 2nd string" means absolutely nothing. It's an "earn your stripes" coachism that would have been out the window the moment they needed someone to fill in for Rodgers.

Man, if you could go back in time to hear all of the concerns about how bad Rodgers looked in preseason and in limited game action when Favre had to leave a couple of games early. Add in a 6-10 first season, and people thought then that we were 'headed back to the dark ages of Packer football' after Favre too....

Man, if you could go back in time to hear all of the concerns about how bad Rodgers looked in preseason and in limited game action when Favre had to leave a couple of games early. Add in a 6-10 first season, and people thought then that we were 'headed back to the dark ages of Packer football' after Favre too....

Or when they traded a 1st round pick for a 3rd string head case from the Falcons. We can all have opinions about Love, but we have no clue. They thought enough of him to trade up to get him, so obviously they believe in him. I'll choose to trust that decision until proven otherwise.

With a 17 game season, I can see Love getting some opportunities this year- even if Rodgers is healthy all year. Rodgers is coming off an 18 game season, then potentially 21 games? Would not surprise me if they used Love like a relief pitcher at times, just to take some mileage off Rodgers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I just want to make sure I have this correct.

- Jordan Love threw a lot of college interceptions one year (17) so he will probably not be a successful quarterback.

Matt Ryan threw 19 interceptions as a senior at BC, 27 in the two years he was the primary starter, and 37 in his career. Matt Ryan has never thrown 19 interceptions in an NFL season.

Russell Wilson threw 25 in 900 attempts in his sophomore and junior seasons at NCS. He has never thrown more than 13 in an NFL season.

Matthew Stafford threw 33 career intercepts at Georgia in less than 1000 college attempts.

- Because Jordan love didn't start for Green Bay in 2020 or was even second string he will probably not be a successful quarterback.

Philip Rivers had 4 starts his first 2 years (behind Drew Brees).

Drew Brees played in 1 game his first year (behind Doug Flutie).

Patrick Mahomes played in 1 game his first year (behind Alex Smith).

Aaron Rodgers didn't start a game until year 4 (behind Brett Favre).

For the record, Doug Flutie was pretty mediocre/bad the year he started ahead of Brees; he managed to turn out OK. Rivers wasn't good enough to start his first two years, but did alright when he got the chance.

Jordan Love may absolutely fail as a quarterback. There are plenty of things he'll need to do better in the NFL than he did at Utah St, and there are also lots of things he did which translate well to the NFL game. He could be the next Sam Darnold or Mitch Trubisky or Andy Dalton or Matt Ryan for all sorts of reasons without having to selectively latch on to a single stat from a single year (whilst ignoring that same stat from the year before) or lamenting he didn't play over a HOF quarterback who had one of the top-10 quarterback seasons of all time.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
JJ Watt had an Instagram story that was of his weight room and in the corner of the photo it said "all gas, no breaks". :devil

I also heard he likes Keanu Reeves movies about public transportation. :)

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Some of the Love angst is simply the fact people didn't see him play a snap of preseason due to COVID, so all they have to go on is quotes and reporting of how he looked in a practice schedule that was also severely hampered due to COVID. I'm looking forward to watching Love get some extended run next August in preseason.

1st round QBs typically start right away or shortly into their 1st pro season, because the teams they are going to have no better options on their roster in terms of talent - when 1st round QBs are drafted by teams with quality quarterbacks, they spend time holding clipboards and developing from the sidelines. It's really that simple.

I feel fortunate to be a fan of an NFL team that has found a way to transition from one HOF QB to another, and that now has a 1st round QB talent developing while their current HOF QB just won MVP of the league and has plenty of gas left in the tank to try and 'run it back' in 2021.

What's funny to me is MLF, the QB coach and the offensive coordinator have all seen enough football that they all must have a pretty accurate idea of just what they have in Love, whether he'll be a star or a bust. But of course they'll never tell us that and we'll just have to keep guessing.

I don't know about that. They might have an idea but without seeing him play at game speed in the NFL, you just cannot make too many assumptions on any player.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think sometimes it's obvious but with Love there is just no way to know yet. You have to get him into a game situation. Alex Smith made a Pro Bowl and the Chiefs shipped him out, that's confidence in your guy. The Packers, too, knew in practice what Rodgers was capable of. The fans never really heard it, but after the fact, there are lots of stories of the receivers and coaches sometimes wondering if the best QB was starting.

I believe Watt will sign with either the Chiefs or the Packers and I wouldn't rule out the Bears either as his wife plays for the Chicago Red Stars so there is that also.

Or they could live in Pewaukee and he commutes to work to the north and she commutes to the south.

I think Watt's going to Green Bay if they want him there. That means clearing enough space to make him an offer that's not insulting. I think if they do that, there is little chance he says no. But I'm also assuming Pittsburgh can't take him because I just don't see how they do. That's a team that needs a 5-year plan, not a 2-year plan.

I believe Watt will sign with either the Chiefs or the Packers and I wouldn't rule out the Bears either as his wife plays for the Chicago Red Stars so there is that also.

I would think that the admission that he wants to play for a contender would already rule the Bears out.

Not sure if you're kidding but if they land Wentz it changes things. On a personal level I'd love for them to bet the farm on Wentz because I don't think it will really do anything, but the perception will be that they're a win-now team if they get him.

If the Bears and Vikings reload at QB the Packers could have their hands full though.

I would think that the admission that he wants to play for a contender would already rule the Bears out.

Not sure if you're kidding but if they land Wentz it changes things. On a personal level I'd love for them to bet the farm on Wentz because I don't think it will really do anything, but the perception will be that they're a win-now team if they get him.

If the Bears and Vikings reload at QB the Packers could have their hands full though.

Perhaps that should have been half blue, but it's tough to see the Bears as a contender even if they get Wentz. Getting Watson would be a whole different story, though.

If Watt could get $8M more from the Bears than he could any other team, or more guaranteed years, that could well change his opinion of how close the team is to contending.

Maybe. But the guy has made a lot of money. I know most don't care, but he really does seem like one that would give up some salary to win. Just hearing the things he's said over the years, including this year when asked about how hard it is to keep trying hard for a loser, I don't get the sense that taking his career earnings from $108mm to $116mm is super important to him.

What a dream world Watt could be living as if he wasn't already. He grew up a Badger and Packers fan and has the opportunity to play large roles for both organizations. What a cool thing this could be if they can work it out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.