Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

In 1992, Reggie White had 14 sacks and 81 tackles. In 1991 he had 15 sacks and 101 (!!!) tackles. As an interior D-lineman! Reggie's apex was a full nine years ... even more if you could his USFL stats. The guy was incredibly consistent in his domination for a full decade, and even as he aged, he continued to be an absolute beast, right up to his final season in Green Bay as a 37-year-old. He was most definitely still at the apex of his career in 1993.

I'm pretty sure tackle stats around that time were based on coaches film review so you actually had more of an accurate representation of who was in on the play, today it's done on the fly during the games so you actually have a lot lower numbers since they'll just credit the tackle to whoever they see jump off the pile first.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Houston. JJ being released was a no brainer. The team is a dumpster fire on steroids. My heart wants JJ back home in Green Bay, but I really think he's going to land in Pittsburgh. Realistically, though, those are the 2 teams that make the most sense for him, since he's getting to choose where he goes.

"Friends I’m not sure who still needs to hear this but cutting Preston, Lowry, Kirksey & Wagner, along with restructuring Rodgers, Adams & Bakhtiari is the STARTING POINT to get under the cap. That doesn’t include signing or re-signing any free agents. GB has serious work to do."

If Watt can stay healthy I view a signing as very Woodson-esque. A once great player with some “does he have it anymore?” questions attached. I know signing him would make me re-engaged with football again because I’ve been drifting off the past couple years between the politics and Covid. Really hope they can come together on something.

In 1992, Reggie White had 14 sacks and 81 tackles. In 1991 he had 15 sacks and 101 (!!!) tackles. As an interior D-lineman! Reggie's apex was a full nine years ... even more if you could his USFL stats. The guy was incredibly consistent in his domination for a full decade, and even as he aged, he continued to be an absolute beast, right up to his final season in Green Bay as a 37-year-old. He was most definitely still at the apex of his career in 1993.

Reggie was an end. Dotson and Brown were the interior linemen.

By today's standards, Reggie White was most definitely an interior lineman. He was not an edge rusher. That would be like saying Aaron Donald is not an interior lineman because he technically plays DE in a 3-4 defense.

How about 2021 1st, 2022 2nd, and Jordan Love?

Not a bad idea, as PIT needs a successor to Rothlisberger, but trading Love will accelerate his guaranteed $ and put them in a worse cap situation; he has $9.3M in dead cap vs. only $1.17M in salary.

By today's standards, Reggie White was most definitely an interior lineman. He was not an edge rusher. That would be like saying Aaron Donald is not an interior lineman because he technically plays DE in a 3-4 defense.

You literally said (bolded) he had 15 sacks and 101 tackles as an interior D-lineman. He literally played DE in a 4-3 alignment. Look it up.

You literally said (bolded) he had 15 sacks and 101 tackles as an interior D-lineman. He literally played DE in a 4-3 alignment. Look it up.

That's my point. White basically played the same position that Donald does today. I guess I should have clarified and said "down lineman" instead of "interior lineman", but in my mind those two terms are synonymous.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They can probably do this with a number of players.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No he isn't. A 3-4 DE is considered an interior DL, a 4-3 DE is an edge rusher

White was definitely an interior lineman. He just happened to play end because of his god-like skill set, but he was really a DT that could pass rush. Bruce Smith was a pure DE. White was everything. A run-stuffing DT that could line up over any position on the OL and get pressure. I'm biased but I consider him the best DL that ever played.

Reggie White wasn't an edge rusher. Bruce Smith was.

White was definitely an interior lineman. He just happened to play end because of his god-like skill set, but he was really a DT that could pass rush. Bruce Smith was a pure DE. White was everything. A run-stuffing DT that could line up over any position on the OL and get pressure. I'm biased but I consider him the best DL that ever played.

Reggie White wasn't an edge rusher. Bruce Smith was.

This was exactly my point. Thank you for making it much better than I did. The closest current comparison to White's ability level is Aaron Donald.

Well, certainly he isn't a 250-280lb edge rusher that gets the EDGE title today. But he was a 4-3 DE and threw RTs around like rag dolls for a living. I don't recall him rushing inside (over G or C) very often at all. Seems odd to relabel him a DT when he didn't play there.

Donaldson isn't a bad comparison for talent but their games and styles were very different.

Well, certainly he isn't a 250-280lb edge rusher that gets the EDGE title today. But he was a 4-3 DE and threw RTs around like rag dolls for a living. I don't recall him rushing inside (over G or C) very often at all. Seems odd to relabel him a DT when he didn't play there.

Donaldson isn't a bad comparison for talent but their games and styles were very different.

It was just different times. Barely any team plays a base 4-3 anymore. Most teams are in sub packages all the time, with stand-up edge rushers. I don't know if there is any edge rusher who regularly puts his hand on the ground. Za'Darius at times I suppose. If Reggie played in today's NFL, he'd likely be a 3-technique DL in the JJ Watt mold.

Reggie White was a DE. Both in name and responsibility. Otherwise, you're telling me the Packers played 4 DTs and no DEs?

Reggie was an edge rusher. Yes, he used the bull rush a lot, so what? Does that make Gary a DT too by that logic? Reggie played the definition of a 4-3 DE, I don't really understand how that's even a debate.

Sure, normally guys his size - even then - played DT (or 3-4 DE). But he had such power and speed, he was devastating on the outside. By playing against the OT in space, he just rag-dolled people around with the club move. He was such a physical freak, he created a huge mismatch at his position. Not sure why we would pigeon-hole him now... he broke the rule then too.

Reggie White was a DE. Both in name and responsibility. Otherwise, you're telling me the Packers played 4 DTs and no DEs?

Reggie was an edge rusher. Yes, he used the bull rush a lot, so what? Does that make Gary a DT too by that logic? Reggie played the definition of a 4-3 DE, I don't really understand how that's even a debate.

Certainly early on in his Packers career they basically played 4 DTs, with OLBs like Bryce Paup and Tony Bennett serving in that Edge rusher role. Probably explained why his sack numbers declined in his first couple years with the Packers. Those guys were later replaced by Sean Jones. Reggie really was not an Edge rusher as we think of them today. Defenses are so much different today than they were 25 years ago, though. Just very different philosophies.

I think adding another really good TE would help this offense more than another WR who may not see the field much next year anyhow. Adams, MVS, Lazard, Tonyan, and TE 1B would be scary- especially in the red zone.

Yea, draft a WR if you want. They have plenty of picks, I'm still a BPA available guy for the most part. But we were reminded once again you can have an MVP QB but it's tough to win a SB without at least a really good defense. We need more talent there, period. Now that we have an unquestioned genius at the helm on defense, give him a CB, MLB, and a pass rusher. Not sure that's even possible in one year with limited resources, but that's what they need.

Sure, add a WR'er, but if Watt is willing to sign a team-friendly deal to come back in Wisconsin, he really shores up your front 7. I think Martin and Barnes looked pretty good as rookies, but if you can shore up the DL, that helps them out a ton.

I think the first priority should be finding an OT, after that, a well-rounded DE...which Watt, even in his decline absolutely is. That takes a lot of pressure off the secondary.

I'd only prioritize MLB'er if something crazy like Parsons fell to them. Otherwise, look for an athletic backer in the middle rounds, but focus on OT, CB and DE early on.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Because there is a difference between the traditional defensive end that Sean Jones and Bruce Smith were and Reggie White, a player who was equally if not more effective playing the run and generated pressure up the middle and/or by plowing straight ahead. His position is just playing semantics like they do now with Aaron Donald, but the contentious comment was that he was an interior lineman, not that he wasn't DE. He was 100% an interior lineman.

"Friends I’m not sure who still needs to hear this but cutting Preston, Lowry, Kirksey & Wagner, along with restructuring Rodgers, Adams & Bakhtiari is the STARTING POINT to get under the cap. That doesn’t include signing or re-signing any free agents. GB has serious work to do."

Odd, borderline lazy reporting by Herman. If you assume a moderate decrease in the cap and factor in the Packers' adjustments, they're about $20 million over the cap AFTER Bakh's restructuring yesterday. Restructuring Rodgers and extending Adams ALONE would free up $23 million, getting them below the cap. The four cuts he notes would free up an additional $21.25 million, putting the Packers at $24.25 BELOW the cap. Stating that that would just be the "STARTING POINT to get under the cap" is literally factually incorrect.

You're confusing DE in a 4-3 with DE in today's 3-4. Back then, there was no such thing as the edge rusher. Saying he was effective playing the run has nothing to do with position. Back then, stopping the run first was everybody's job.

Watch a few YouTube videos or something. He was not an interior lineman. Opposing team's RT blocked him, usually with the help of the TE. Sean Jones? He played tge same position as Reggie, on the opposite side of the line. Santana Dotson has spoken often about their defense back then, how Reggie sealed the corner so well. If Reggie wasn't a DE, then nobody was.