Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

OK, starting at 3/26. Does he give a home town discount at all? I probably think he would.

There are probably like 3-4 teams total that he is willing to play for AND can move money around to sign him. Any deal he signs, if he's serious about wanting to win, is going to require him to give a little on the market value. I'm guessing 2 years with some kind of option in the 3rd that gives the team an easy out.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol at the Packers signing Watt. I would love love love it. I’d probably buy my first ever Packers player jersey, but the FO will not be signing free agents like Watt. If any FA ever. If not GB, I hope he goes to Pittsburgh and plays with his bros.

You realize that this FO has signed more free agents in 3 years than the previous FO did in like 15, right?

Sorry for not being more specific. When said FA like Watt, I meant All-Pro types who are in their 30s. Charles Woodsoon being the exception I suppose.

You literally said "If any FA ever." And Woodson was signed by a different front office.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Do they track passes batted down by a defensive lineman? Watt seemed to get three a game at Wisconsin.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What are the financial ramifications of the mutual release? Are the Texans still on the hook for his guaranteed money? If so, then any deal that he signs will be for the veteran minimum.

Isn't that how it works, where if he's still owed $20 million from Houston, and signed a $1 million dollar deal, then new team pays the $1 million and Houston would still owe $19 million?

Maybe with the mutual release they agreed to void his contract, but I didn't think that was allowed.

What are the financial ramifications of the mutual release? Are the Texans still on the hook for his guaranteed money? If so, then any deal that he signs will be for the veteran minimum.

Isn't that how it works, where if he's still owed $20 million from Houston, and signed a $1 million dollar deal, then new team pays the $1 million and Houston would still owe $19 million?

Maybe with the mutual release they agreed to void his contract, but I didn't think that was allowed.

Contracts aren't guaranteed in football. The Texans will probably have a cap hit, but as far as actual money going to Watt, that ship has sailed.

This isn't the first time I've seen this comparison, and I urge you to tread lightly on it. Reggie White was at the absolute apex of his career when he signed with the Packers.

I don't agree with this at all. Reggie White was 5 years removed from the "apex" of his career and he was 32 years old when he signed with Green Bay.

I would consider White's apex to be 1986-88. That would put him at his age 25-27 seasons, and he recorded 18, 21, and 18 sacks.

He signed with Green Bay at the age of 32 and his first two years in Green Bay he recorded 13 and 8 sacks.

I will totally agree with the more durable argument, although in those days, guys mostly just played through injuries. However, I don't think it's accurate to say he was at the apex of his career.

Contracts aren't guaranteed in football. The Texans will probably have a cap hit, but as far as actual money going to Watt, that ship has sailed.

I never realized NFL worked like that. Looking at Spotrac quick, it looks like they have 0 dead money from the deal. His signing bonus was paid out already. Makes a heck of a lot more sense from the Houston standpoint knowing that. They clear $17.5 million off their books with no dead money. In a rebuild and a year with a possibly lower cap, it makes sense. Still a pretty stand up thing to do to allow him to move on, but truly works for both sides I guess.

In 1992, Reggie White had 14 sacks and 81 tackles. In 1991 he had 15 sacks and 101 (!!!) tackles. As an interior D-lineman! Reggie's apex was a full nine years ... even more if you could his USFL stats. The guy was incredibly consistent in his domination for a full decade, and even as he aged, he continued to be an absolute beast, right up to his final season in Green Bay as a 37-year-old. He was most definitely still at the apex of his career in 1993.

Ehhh. Reggie White had 21 sacks in 12 games in Philly. It's just that he was so good that his decline basically still made him a top 5 DE. He was "the get" of the offseason for the entire league the year he signed with GB and it was seen as kind of a joke at the time, as to why he'd sign with such a loser. I would say that both are true; he wasn't at the apex of his career when he signed with GB, but he was still signed to be a more impactful player than Watt would be right now.

I see mention, here and other places, about Watt taking a hometown discount. I guess anyone saying that is assuming that some team will offer him up to franchise-player money. But is that even true? I know it only takes one team to blow it up, but it's possible that Watt's $ ceiling and what the Packers could pay him are the same amount. May not have to take the hometown discount at all.

I see mention, here and other places, about Watt taking a hometown discount. I guess anyone saying that is assuming that some team will offer him up to franchise-player money. But is that even true? I know it only takes one team to blow it up, but it's possible that Watt's $ ceiling and what the Packers could pay him are the same amount. May not have to take the hometown discount at all.

Part of the hometown discount argument is Watt asking to be released from a contract which would have paid him $17M to play in 2021. Without insider knowledge, we do not genuinely know whether Houston was asking Watt to take a pay cut, or whether they would have released him at the start of the new league year. (I am at least open to the argument they would have kept him, or looked to trade him, if only to avoid the negative perception of cutting him, particularly in light of the goodwill J.J. generated in Houston.) As-is, the Texans will not have any dead money from the Watt release.

He's not likely to get $17M per-year at this point in his career, especially given his injuries, so asking for his release at least creates the perception he is willing to make less money next year, while looking for a better situation to win now.

A factor that was likely at play is that most teams would have only taken him on the condition they can re-do his contract. He wanted to play for a contender and it was unlikely one would be willing to deal with that $17 million number. Combined with the reality that the Texans had no leverage and everyone knew he wanted out, it was just not possible to trade him.

So it was probably just a cut your losses situation, do the guy who's given everything to you a solid and not drag this out for a 5th round pick.

Watt is at the point of his career (the back 9 if you will) where winning a Super Bowl is more important than money. He got paid a bunch in Houston and they never really got close to a championship. I could easily see him taking a hometown discount to play here. It's just the king of guy he is. If it's not that important to him, then he goes to Pittsburgh. That organization is a hot mess right now that's about to fall on hard times they haven't seen since the 80s.

I could see Watt taking a bit of a discount to play in Green Bay but I don't think he's going to play for cheap either. I also don't doubt he's going to shop around and see what's out there and who's interested and what other team's pitches would be, it's likely this will be the last time he's going to be a hotly sought after free agent. I still think he's going to prioritize winning and good odds at winning a championship I just don't think that's going to keep him from getting paid good money either.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

TJ Watt's contract makes him very trade-able. One year left at only $1.7MM. Give Pittsburgh a 1st and 3rd and reunite the Watts. Heck, Derek can even come over and be the Thanasis of of the Watts.

That is a laughable trade offer for TJ. You have to get closer to what Mack cost for the Steelers to do that trade.

TJ Watt's contract makes him very trade-able. One year left at only $1.7MM. Give Pittsburgh a 1st and 3rd and reunite the Watts. Heck, Derek can even come over and be the Thanasis of of the Watts.

That is a laughable trade offer for TJ. You have to get closer to what Mack cost for the Steelers to do that trade.

Yeah it's commanding at least two firsts (maybe 1st and 2nd) and some spare parts. Mack agreed to a deal with the Bears upon the trade, so that made him worth more...but Watt would just do the same and he'd have no lack of suitors.

Steelers Get:

2021 first round

2021 sixth round

2022 first round

Jace Sternberger

Packers Get:

TJ Watt

Derek Watt

That get it done? Not sure there’s really any need for Derek as Degura and Dafney are good football players.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Laughable, maybe. I just through something out there, admittedly didn’t think about it much. So 2 1st rounders, especially since they would be at the end of the 1st. And some change. Also, the Bears panicked because they knew the Packers were interested.

How about 2021 1st, 2022 2nd, and Jordan Love?