Brewer Fanatic

Packer 2021 Team Discussion (Rodgers Out Vs. Chiefs)

CheezWizHed

Lowry is such a disappointment. I can't fault them for the extension they gave him as he looked like a young ascending player that would have been a bargain if that continued. He just never got better.

An easy way to free up over $3m in cap space as well.....

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol at the Packers signing Watt. I would love love love it. I’d probably buy my first ever Packers player jersey, but the FO will not be signing free agents like Watt. If any FA ever. If not GB, I hope he goes to Pittsburgh and plays with his bros.

Sort of an odd take. They signed the Smith Bros two offseasons ago, were in on trading for Mack and signing Allen Robinson. This isn't Ted Thompson anymore.

Agreed. The Packers are players in the upper end of the free agent market every year. They were hamstrung by the cap (and likely COVID) last year, but still managed to bring in some key pieces.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Lol at the Packers signing Watt. I would love love love it. I’d probably buy my first ever Packers player jersey, but the FO will not be signing free agents like Watt. If any FA ever. If not GB, I hope he goes to Pittsburgh and plays with his bros.

Sort of an odd take. They signed the Smith Bros two offseasons ago, were in on trading for Mack and signing Allen Robinson. This isn't Ted Thompson anymore.

And Adrian Amos

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hey the Raiders just cut our slot WR too.

Williams is an interesting one...

2nd most efficient slot WR in 2019 and known as a WR who will block too. Who knows, but he would seem to fit exactly what the Packers like.

6'4", 205 .... its like he came off the "prototypical Gute receiver" assembly line. He is obviously bigger than most slot guys, and he isn't really the "quick twitch" type of player that many have been hoping for in that role, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Packers show some interest. He's also going to be substantially cheaper than the WRs at the top of the FA market.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think Gute said a while back that there would be some bargains in FA this year.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Everything seems aligned for a Watt signing. Make it work, Packers. The optics are perfect, just imagine how many green and gold 99 jerseys will be sold. If he plays at his normal performance level, we are a much better defense. Closest thing to Reggie White since.... Reggie White.

Everything seems aligned for a Watt signing. Make it work, Packers. The optics are perfect, just imagine how many green and gold 99 jerseys will be sold. If he plays at his normal performance level, we are a much better defense. Closest thing to Reggie White since.... Reggie White.

This isn't the first time I've seen this comparison, and I urge you to tread lightly on it. Reggie White was at the absolute apex of his career when he signed with the Packers. He was an extremely durable superstar that every team in the NFL was salivating over. Him choosing to sign with the Packers put the Packers on the map as a contender. It was arguably the biggest personnel move in the team's history.

Do I think that JJ Watt could still be an effective player? Yes. But he's now a shell of his former NFL Defensive POY self. I worry that if the Packers do end up signing him, fans are going to be expecting the dominant 2014 version of JJ, and he simply isn't even in the same area code as that player any longer. Is he currently a better player right now than Lowry? Yes. But I worry that it isn't demonstrably.

Peppers is a more apt comparison than White though neither is really that good. His statistical production had slowed when the Packers signed him and it was half excitement, half 'this guy is washed up,' although he was also extremely durable. They got some good football out of the twilight of his career at a decent price.

I think Watt can still be good. Just going to a winner where the goal of the season isn't selling his jersey will help him, I think.

Yeah, this just screams for Watt to close his career out wearing green and gold. He's earned plenty of $ already in his career and if he's hunting for a title, he has to understand that those type of teams are going to have limited funds available with a likely strained 2021 cap situation - JJ could honestly earn more money in local endorsement deals if he signed with GB than what he earned last season as a player in Houston.

I'm not anticipating Watt being anything close to the player he once was pre-injury that earned him 3-time DPOY awards....but he would really look good lining up next to Clark, Gary, and Z Smith. Despite the tread on the tires and diminished ability due to injuries, Watt will be 32 at the start of the 2021 season....past his prime but not ancient in terms of a lineman.

Edited by Fear The Chorizo

Peppers is a more apt comparison than White though neither is really that good. His statistical production had slowed when the Packers signed him and it was half excitement, half 'this guy is washed up,' although he was also extremely durable. They got some good football out of the twilight of his career at a decent price.

I think Watt can still be good. Just going to a winner where the goal of the season isn't selling his jersey will help him, I think.

Better than Peppers, number two to Reggie....I will take that all day. I agree on using him lightly early.

Edited by Mr Southpaw

Yeah, this just screams for Watt to close his career out wearing green and gold. He's earned plenty of $ already in his career and if he's hunting for a title, he has to understand that those type of teams are going to have limited funds available with a likely strained 2021 cap situation - JJ could honestly earn more money in local endorsement deals if he signed with GB than what he earned last season as a player in Houston.

He might take a hunk out of Rodgers gigs.

Interesting to note that out of about 120 qualified pass rushers in 2020, Watt ranked 15th in pass rush win rate. Watt also graded out solidly in run stopping.

These metrics are somewhat finicky in grading out true impact of a player....but it's not like the Texans' D line was stacked everywhere else and a severely diminished Watt was just cleaning up scraps - he was still consistently double-teamed because they frankly had nobody else good enough to double. He led their bad defense with 5 sacks and tied for the lead with his 1 INT and 2 forced fumbles last year. Also by far and away led the team with 16 tackles for loss (1 less than Z. Smith and top ten in the league). Watt is still a very good defensive player and would be an awesome piece for the Packers to add to their front to plug a glaring hole on their roster in terms of talent at the DE position.

Peppers is probably a really good comparison. In the end, he was a really nice signing for Green Bay.

Interesting to note that out of about 120 qualified pass rushers in 2020, Watt ranked 15th in pass rush win rate. Watt also graded out solidly in run stopping.

These metrics are somewhat finicky in grading out true impact of a player....but it's not like the Texans' D line was stacked everywhere else and a severely diminished Watt was just cleaning up scraps - he was still consistently double-teamed because they frankly had nobody else good enough to double. He led their bad defense with 5 sacks and tied for the lead with his 1 INT and 2 forced fumbles last year. Also by far and away led the team with 16 tackles for loss (1 less than Z. Smith and top ten in the league). Watt is still a very good defensive player and would be an awesome piece for the Packers to add to their front to plug a glaring hole on their roster in terms of talent at the DE position.

I think this is a really good point. Though not who he was 5-ish years ago, Watt graded out very high this year.

Thanks for the research. Getter done, Gute.

You realize that this FO has signed more free agents in 3 years than the previous FO did in like 15, right?

Sorry for not being more specific. When said FA like Watt, I meant All-Pro types who are in their 30s. Charles Woodsoon being the exception I suppose.

Adrian Amos was 25, Smith Brothers were 26. Mack was about 26 or so. JJ Watt is 31. Now. I do not care about that, I want Packers to sign him. But I just do not see it happening given their history with FAs.

Peppers is probably a really good comparison. In the end, he was a really nice signing for Green Bay.

Agreed. Peppers is a terrific comparison. It is important to note, too, that Peppers signed a 3-year deal with the Packers that was worth a max of $26 million. Good money, but not the type of contract that would hamstring a team. If Watt would be willing to sign a similar type deal, I could see the Packers showing interest.