Brewer Fanatic

Arenado to the Cards

torts

Would you sign Arenado for that contract if he were just a free agent coming off a shoulder injury and a terrible year?

$25 million per year with an opt out after 2021 and/or 2022 like he has now?? Absolutely 100000% yes! Would you have given up nothing prospects AND gotten $50 mill cash to acquire him in a trade?? Anyone that says they wouldn't needs to have their head examined.

Would you sign Arenado for that contract if he were just a free agent coming off a shoulder injury and a terrible year?

$25 million per year with an opt out after 2021 and/or 2022 like he has now?? Absolutely 100000% yes! Would you have given up nothing prospects AND gotten $50 mill cash to acquire him in a trade?? Anyone that says they wouldn't needs to have their head examined.

Particularly given the opt-outs that is a franchise-ruining risk though. What if his shoulder is messed up and he has a terrible 2021? I would genuinely rather have Justin Turner going into this season, and he is available for much cheaper.

I miss Harry Dalton...now that guy wasn't afraid to pull off major trades. Before anyone chimes in with..."The Brewers traded for Yelich". Sure, but get back to me when they do what Dalton did and acquire, Fingers, Vukovich, Ted Simmons and Don Sutton all in the same season.

I miss Harry Dalton...now that guy wasn't afraid to pull off major trades. Before anyone chimes in with..."The Brewers traded for Yelich". Sure, but get back to me when they do what Dalton did and acquire, Fingers, Vukovich, Ted Simmons and Don Sutton all in the same season.

Has anyone ever acquired three hall of famers in a single season??

The Simmons/Fingers/Vuckovich trade was prior to the 1981 season. Sutton was acquired in 1982.

The Simmons/Fingers/Vuckovich trade was prior to the 1981 season. Sutton was acquired in 1982.

Correct my age is clouding my memory...that being said they were still massive trades he pulled off and it put the Crew in a position to get to the World Series, and that's all you can really ask for.

You are correct. My bad.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The tough part about the Arenado trade is that no one was stepping up in the NL Central. It seemed like everyone was shedding payroll. Thus, it would have been a good time to make some sort of move(s).

Of course, it's easier said than done. And there's still some time to add some players. I just doubt we'll be making any big splashes.

People actually rying to act like this was a bad move for the Cardinals? People finding ways to say that Arenado is in decline, etc...

LOL

Sometimes, the homerism is just too much to take...

I guess that is just how some people can talk themselves into thinking the Cards got screwed, or whatever, but seriously, had we made this deal, people here would have been over the moon with joy. Since it wasn't us, it has to be a bad deal, right?

*shaking head*

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

He gave me an awesome tour of his memorabilia in his AZ home. The entire 3 car garage was full of aisles of memorabilia personalized by players. What a nice man.

The Cardinals taking a positive step towards winning the Central, while we sign guys like Pablo Reyes, Dylan Cozens, Hoby Milner, Luke Maile, Daniel Robertson, Blaine Hardy, and resign Jace Peterson...

Oh, and claiming Tim Lopes, that ought to even us out with the Cardinals...

How can I forget adding Arcia another year for 2 million.

Very productive off season for the Crew, what am I complaining about?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Turborickey i was told when i said the brewers have done nothing i was told don't bash them as it was early in Jan. Well now it almost Feb and this team has not add one quality Player to make us contenders.This team has continued to mine the Bargain bin for reclamation guys hoping one guy and find lighting in a bottle.

ZiPS had the Cardinals projected for 1.7 WAR at 3B before the trade, Arenado is projected for 3.8 WAR.

They've upgraded, sure, but likely closer to 2 or 3 wins than 5 or 6.

If Arenado didn't come with a fair degree of risk the Cardinals would've had to send back better prospects & wouldn't have gotten a 50 million discount.

sorry but this was a very good move for the Cards and if this was the Brewers pulling this off the board will be partying all night.

It could be a very good move, it could be an alright move, it could be a huge financial burden negatively impacting the Cardinals for multiple seasons...there is no way to know yet.

If Arenado returns to prime form, it will be very good. If his offense drops off leaving Coors, it will be alright. If the shoulder injury saps his power moving forward, the Cardinals will be paying 25 million a year for a glove only 3B.

Given his 3.8 WAR projection for 2021 & a standard aging curve, Arenado projects for about 15 WAR over the life of the contract, which comes out to around 10 million per win, certainly no bargain.

Good players are good players. I remember when DJ LeMahieu left the Rockies many posters here dismissed him as a product of Coors Field for many of the same reasons and all he's done is finish 4th and 3rd for AL MVP the last 2 seasons.

I'm not worried about Arenado's performance dropping off much going to St. Louis. Or rather, I am worried if the Brewers plan on trying to contend the next few seasons.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Always interesting to see the wide span in reactions, everything from "The sky is falling" to "C O O R S".

Cardinals made a move that makes them better. That's it. It's not nothing, it's not the end of the world. Or even something that puts the division out of reach. Brewers were projected to win it (According to both the combined ZiPS/Steamer projections on Fangraphs and Clay Davenport. PECOTA isn't out yet), this should make the Cardinals slight favorites on the Fangraphs projections, and still leaves them far behind according to Davenport. I also very well realise that the Brewers need to make some kind of corner IF move still and my favorite option for that (LaStella) is gone so I'm also getting a bit itchy. Yet at the same time, Brewers were never going to take on $25m AAV for 6 years, so Arenado signing elsewhere doesn't really concern me, it isn't as if we lost out on anything we could've realistically had. Even if an AL team would be far preferable over an NLC team.

I'm starting to think that the corner IF spot will be adressed via trade at this point.

Inflated stats. Good player but not great.

I mean he averages about 6 WAR per season and has finished top 5 in MVP voting 3 out of the last 5 full seasons. He's pretty great.

No mile high delight to save that bat going forward. Desperation move by the Cards. They’ll finish 3rd in the division and their rabid fan base will turn on them.

Some insight

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Inflated stats. Good player but not great.

I mean he averages about 6 WAR per season and has finished top 5 in MVP voting 3 out of the last 5 full seasons. He's pretty great.

No mile high delight to save that bat going forward. Desperation move by the Cards. They’ll finish 3rd in the division and their rabid fan base will turn on them.

Some insight

Most players have better home/road splits to some degree. Arenado's are more extreme and Coors is a factor but I think any opposing fans expecting him to just drop to his career road splits are going to be pretty disappointed.

I'd expect probably an .850-.875 OPS type player at worst, not to mention an elite glove. I'd say it's a pretty good move more than a desperation one. I'd certainly be excited if we were the ones acquiring him and I think most Brewer fans if being honest with themselves would concur with that.

Yep. Now my best hope for an offensive upgrade at third base is you-know-who coming back, combined with Craig Counsell *SOMEHOW* recoveringn from his mysterious amnesia about what position the 2007 NL Rookie of the Year played...

Seems like a good idea to me. Maybe you're on to something!

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes