Brewer Fanatic

Sarah Goodrum named Minor League Hitting Coordinator

Baldkin

Significant news from the Brewers: They have promoted Sara Goodrum to Minor League hitting coordinator, making her the first woman in baseball history to serve in that role. Her official title is Coordinator - Hitting Development Initiatives.

Big promotion for her.

Way to go, Milwaukee.

McCalvy's article on her: https://www.mlb.com/news/sara-goodrum-new-brewers-hitting-coordinator

BrewCrew Ball article: https://www.brewcrewball.com/2021/1/28/22255304/milwaukee-brewers-sara-goodrum-first-female-minor-league-hitting-coordinator-in-baseball-history

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Applaud the Brewer organization for this well deserved move.

I mean, cool and all, but how is this “well deserved”?

Yeah, she's 27. Is this a position that normally goes to 27-year olds?

The Brewers need all the help they can get when it comes to player development, so I hope she's good at what she does. It just seems risky to put someone so young into a position of authority. You'd think the person who will be the hitting instructors' boss would have spent quite a few years as a hitting instructor.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yeah, she's 27. Is this a position that normally goes to 27-year olds?

The Brewers need all the help they can get when it comes to player development, so I hope she's good at what she does. It just seems risky to put someone so young into a position of authority. You'd think the person who will be the hitting instructors' boss would have spent quite a few years as a hitting instructor.

I don't think this position, as it exists today, has any type of supervisory role in terms of hitting instructors. I think these are the people who manage technology and collect that data. In other words, hooking up sensors to players and performing measurements (launch angle, etc), then presenting the data to hitting instructors and collaborating with the player and hitting instructor to try and improve the player's performance.

Years ago this position just seemed to be roving hitting instructor who would provide another set of eyes and maybe diagnose something a hitting instructor wasn't seeing. Maybe some teams still do it that way but I'd bet the majority don't. It is very much a technology and data driven position. Looking at Goodrum's background, it's almost a guarantee that this is what she will be doing. She'll probably have a couple of interns working under her in terms of data handling, but I don't think she will be the boss of any of the minor league instructors.

Is there any evidence to point to saying it's not?

27 years old. Was an intern 4 years ago. No major league experience beyond the Brewers. No experience in baseball prior to 4 years ago.

We'll all be thrilled if she becomes the best in the business, but the lack of experience is somewhat concerning.

Is there any evidence to point to saying it's not?

Se is 27 years old.

She has never played professional baseball.

She has never played college baseball.

She HAS played college softball, but they throw underhanded in that sport.

This is not the position of hitting instructor for the Timber Rattlers, which is a pretty high skilled teaching position. Not saying she can not do the job, just saying there is some evidence that this is not well deserved.

She has never played professional baseball.

She has never played college baseball.

She HAS played college softball, but they throw underhanded in that sport.

I thought that modern baseball had moved past the 'had to play the game' requirement to be a talent evaluator/instructor.

Considering both the age, lack of a baseball career, and relative success of our President of Baseball Operations, I'd have doubly thought that we had moved past that.

I'm concerned that the narrative here seems to be trending towards 'they hired a woman to hire a woman', and I'd say that's a dangerous narrative.

If she got this position because she was the most qualified, good for her. What gender you are shouldn't matter as long as the most qualified person gets the job.

If she got this position because she is a woman, that is an entirely different story...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think people question the qualifications of any hire but it sure feels like qualifications are brought up even more when a woman is hired for a position in sports.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This is a newly-created position, so it is impossible to find qualifications without actually seeing the job posting.

But ask me in a few years. If our hitters at the MLB level start performing better, and we develop some hitters in the minors that can come up and provide value, then she's good at her job.

I don't think this position, as it exists today, has any type of supervisory role in terms of hitting instructors. I think these are the people who manage technology and collect that data. In other words, hooking up sensors to players and performing measurements (launch angle, etc), then presenting the data to hitting instructors and collaborating with the player and hitting instructor to try and improve the player's performance.

Years ago this position just seemed to be roving hitting instructor who would provide another set of eyes and maybe diagnose something a hitting instructor wasn't seeing. Maybe some teams still do it that way but I'd bet the majority don't. It is very much a technology and data driven position. Looking at Goodrum's background, it's almost a guarantee that this is what she will be doing. She'll probably have a couple of interns working under her in terms of data handling, but I don't think she will be the boss of any of the minor league instructors.

From the McCalvy article:

"She will oversee the Brewers’ hitting program throughout the organization, manage the hitting coaches at the team’s affiliates and, when the coronavirus pandemic fades, travel around the system to assist in player instruction."

From that, this seems to be a managerial position, and she will be the boss of all of the team's hitting coaches. I don't care what field you are in, most people need to have some experience in a position before they become the boss.

There could be some friction, as a bunch of people with years of experience just got passed over for a promotion to bring in a 27-year old with relatively little experience. Maybe they've worked with her for the past few years and realize that she's some sort of savant, but most people I've ever talked to would be at least a little upset if they were in that situation.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This is a newly-created position, so it is impossible to find qualifications without actually seeing the job posting.

But ask me in a few years. If our hitters at the MLB level start performing better, and we develop some hitters in the minors that can come up and provide value, then she's good at her job.

Not really. When these positions pop up, it's rather normal that Fangraphs posts a link. I often go and read them. Minor League hitting coordinators are no longer "a second set of experienced eyes" to help hitting instructors, it's very much become a "attached sensors to hitters, collect data, compile data and let's see if we can identify flaws using all the available technology available" position.

Stearns was an assistant GM at 27, GM at 30, and this supposed friction over having someone so young was shockingly a non-issue. On the contrary, he was a super genius. Lol, what could be the difference? Lots of assumptions made over what her actual job is, too.

She has been with the team for 4 years. They wouldn't dole this out randomly because she's a woman. Tenure doesn't make someone due for a promotion or even good at what they do. She is obviously a bright person with a lot to offer.

Edited by OldSchoolSnapper

Not really. When these positions pop up, it's rather normal that Fangraphs posts a link. I often go and read them. Minor League hitting coordinators are no longer "a second set of experienced eyes" to help hitting instructors, it's very much become a "attached sensors to hitters, collect data, compile data and let's see if we can identify flaws using all the available technology available" position.

I'm sure the qualifications are different for every team. To me, this sounds like a catchy title for someone who will be instrumental in the team's analytics department. Like I said ... if the team starts hitting better at these different levels, no one is going to care about her lack of experience.

"She will oversee the Brewers’ hitting program throughout the organization, manage the hitting coaches at the team’s affiliates and, when the coronavirus pandemic fades, travel around the system to assist in player instruction."

I will agree with you on that point if that is the way the Brewers run it. I am under the impression that most teams don't do this, but those responsibilities still lie with the Minor League Director (or whatever fancy title they now have for Minor League Director). But I could be wrong, and this might be the new normal with teams reshuffling titles and responsibilities.

Doesn't seem appropriate that a 27 year old with a pretty limited resume would have authority over minor league hitting instructors.

I think too many people are overlooking the word "Coordinator" in the job title. This feels more bureaucratic than functional. I see this as having good organizational and communication skills, with an understanding of hitting technique and being driven by an already existing organizational philosophy rather than putting her own spin on the direction of how they will be teaching hitting.

I feel like a lot of these reactions are overreactions due to her gender. Which is perhaps understandable but isn't the greatest look in my opinion.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I will agree with you on that point if that is the way the Brewers run it. I am under the impression that most teams don't do this, but those responsibilities still lie with the Minor League Director (or whatever fancy title they now have for Minor League Director). But I could be wrong, and this might be the new normal with teams reshuffling titles and responsibilities.

Doesn't seem appropriate that a 27 year old with a pretty limited resume would have authority over minor league hitting instructors.

That's where I'm at.

Generally, the position of "Coordinator" is not a position with a whole lot of employees reporting to it. I have no doubt that she's sharp, and her experience seems to show that she's a good fit for the position you described in an earlier post. It's McCalvy's description that has me scratching my head a bit, and that may not be an accurate description of her duties.

Stearns obviously has faith in her, and the team needs as much talent as it can get in the player development department. I hope she does great, and have no problem if she eventually proves herself enough to become and MLB hitting coach, or even a GM. I just hope the Brewers didn't jump the gun and give someone too much authority at too young an age. That goes across the board, for example I hope the team attorney isn't someone who just graduated law school.

~Bill Walsh

I feel like a lot of these reactions are overreactions due to her gender. Which is perhaps understandable but isn't the greatest look in my opinion.

People on this board question everything. The team can't sign a player to a minor-league deal without a multi-page thread.

If one of the duties of the person holding this position is indeed to manage the team's hitting coaches, then this person is far more important to the future of the team than someone like Daniel Robertson, whose signing just merited a four-page thread.

I think it's fair to question the experience level of someone who could have significant impact on the team's player development going forward.

Or, the team and McCalvy could be over-stating the role, and she's going to help in hitting/player development, but not be in charge of it. That would really seem a lot more logical.

~Bill Walsh