Brewer Fanatic

Eddie Rosario

PDCBalla

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is he exclusively an OF? I wonder if he could play 1B? I agree, he could potentially put up big numbers at Am Fam.

While he was coming up as a prospect he played a lot of second base, but has played almost exclusively outfield in the majors. I think he’d probably be able to play 1B, but not sure if he’d agree to sign if that was the primary plan.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I would prefer a guy like Rosario and Lastella over just one guy. Move Yelich to first, we just need guys that can hit.

The problem is money. Plus how do you know Yelich would agree to move to 1B? You'd be adding at least and estimated $14-16M. I guess until we know about the DH and Arnold actually admits to whay payroll is going to look like, it's all moot anyway.

I would prefer a guy like Rosario and Lastella over just one guy. Move Yelich to first, we just need guys that can hit.

The problem is money. Plus how do you know Yelich would agree to move to 1B? You'd be adding at least and estimated $14-16M. I guess until we know about the DH and Arnold actually admits to whay payroll is going to look like, it's all moot anyway.

You don't. That's why this is in the rumor area.

Why would we be reportedly talking to Semien and Turner if we have very little money to spend? What GM has ever publicly given a payroll number?

Yelich has given no indication he is a selfish player that wouldn't move to an easier position that he has experience with to help the team.

Totally forgot he was a free agent this offseason. Would LOVE to add his bat to the lineup and it wouldn’t break the bank. He just turned 29. How about a 3 year deal worth $30 million? Lock up his prime years, add a good lefty bat with pop to really help lengthen the lineup, and still have some funds available to play with. Maybe package Hader with Garcia and then go out and bring in Turner on top of it? A man can dream....

CF Cain

RF Yelich

3B Turner

LF Rosario

2B Hiura

C Narvaez

SS Arcia

1B Vogelbomb

P

Now THAT is an elite offense even if Yelich and Hiura only rebound half way to what they did in 2019.

Totally forgot he was a free agent this offseason. Would LOVE to add his bat to the lineup and it wouldn’t break the bank. He just turned 29. How about a 3 year deal worth $30 million? Lock up his prime years, add a good lefty bat with pop to really help lengthen the lineup, and still have some funds available to play with. Maybe package Hader with Garcia and then go out and bring in Turner on top of it? A man can dream....

CF Cain

RF Yelich

3B Turner

LF Rosario

2B Hiura

C Narvaez

SS Arcia

1B Vogelbomb

P

Now THAT is an elite offense even if Yelich and Hiura only rebound half way to what they did in 2019.

Where is Garcia? We benching a 10+ million player?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

CF Cain

RF Yelich

3B Turner

LF Rosario

2B Hiura

C Narvaez

SS Arcia

1B Vogelbomb

P

Where is Garcia? We benching a 10+ million player?

That was addressed in the post you’re quoting.

The fact the Brewers have been reportedly interested in both Joc Pederson and Eddie Rosario makes me think they could be serious about adding a LHH slugging outfielder. Both have significant splits and are considerably better against RHP. Seems like a platoon partner might be preferred for Garcia. It makes sense because Garcia is much better against LHP. A platoon with Garcia and either Rosario or Pederson means the Brewers are likely getting an .825 OPS or better production out of that spot for the season.

That’s a pretty expensive platoon though for a team with a tight budget.

It’s also not a straight platoon though since they’ve shown a willingness to play Garcia in centerfield. They need to find ways to upgrade the offense, and using the outfield to do so presents more certainty than the majority of likely options at the corner infield spots.

Maybe the brewers are looking to move Garcia.

I’m with you on that. With the Brewers showing interest in both Rosario and Ozuna, it leads me to believe that they very well could be shopping Garcia and I imagine that a significant piece would be moved with him whether that’s Hader or someone else.

With the rumors of us looking at multiple OF's, does anyone here feel that there may be some legitimacy to us potentially trading Cain and his contract along with Hader?

I suppose that can't be ruled out. I hope not, though. I think that the team is looking at OFers because they perhaps see that market slower to develop this offseason, and they stand the chance of landing a potential big bat for the lineup there. This is a team that loves positional versatility, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see guys like Yelich and Garcia get time at 1B this spring. If they sign Rosario, he'll probably see some time at 2B. For this team to be able to put the best lineup on the field day in and day out, these players are going to have to be flexible position-wise.

I am a big advocate for seeing what Vogelbach can do, but his lack of defensive versatility might doom him in the end should there not be a universal DH.

With the rumors of us looking at multiple OF's, does anyone here feel that there may be some legitimacy to us potentially trading Cain and his contract along with Hader?

I still say Cain to the outfield short Mariners for Kyle Seager might make sense for both teams and it's an exchange of big shorter term salaries. Mariners have a replacement for Seager in France, and Brewers could replace Cain if they sign an outfielder.

Aren’t the Mets looking for an OF? They missed out on both Springer and Hand.

Thing that jumps right out is that Rosario is being projected at an .800-.810 OPS type hitter but only being worth 1.5 WAR. Normally there are some bad defensive numbers associated with that but not in Rosario's case. It looks like he is pretty good in left field and can hold his own in right, although he hasn't played that many innings in right.

I also thought it was interesting that his BABIP really dropped the last couple of years. From .316 in 2018 to .273 in 2019 to .248 in 2020. Sometimes that's bad luck. Other times it due to a drop in speed. Went to Baseball Savant and Rosario's sprint speed has dropped from 28.0 (ft/s) in 2018 to 27.1 in 2019 to 26.8 in 2020.

To me it looks like the big concern is that with a drop in athletic skills that he might be limited to LF and if the bat falls off at all...nobody is going to be all that interested in a left fielder that OPS's .760, especially with Christian Yelich on the same roster. Considering Braun saw 127 innings in right field last year and Yelich saw 0, pretty strong indication that the Brewers see Yelich as a left fielder exclusively at this point. Rosario has played some right field for the Twins, but not very many innings the last few years (217 innings over the last 4 years).

There is always the possibility of just throwing him at 1B but I'm a bit skeptical on that since it's been so long since the guy played in the infield. Probably doesn't help that for three years there was all this talk about Braun at 1B, Braun at 1B, Braun at 1B...and in the end the Brewers only played him there for 109 innings in 2018 and he was so bad in that limited run (-19.0 UZR/150) that he wasn't credited with another inning at 1B after that.

Rosario could be an excellent fourth outfielder so I'm on board if the price is right, and this is the time of the year for bargain shopping. But there is enough negative stuff mixed in here where I don't think something like a 2 year, 15 million dollar deal is warranted.

Archived