Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
Yeah like I said earlier in this thread, I would be totally comfortable going 3 years. At somewhere around $40 million, I don’t think that would be franchise crippling in the least bit. With Garcia coming off the books next year and Cain in 2023, I think we’d be just fine.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah like I said earlier in this thread, I would be totally comfortable going 3 years. At somewhere around $40 million, I don’t think that would be franchise crippling in the least bit. With Garcia coming off the books next year and Cain in 2023, I think we’d be just fine.

Except that they already kicked a bunch of Wong's money down the road to 2023, so that has to be accounted for as well.

I'm willing to bet that Turner is weighing something like a 2-year, $18-20 million deal from the Dodgers versus a 3-year, $35 million deal from the Brewers, with a significant amount of it deferred. Not every player is going to be interested in a large deferral, but someone like Turner, who is looking at his last big deal, might be looking at security heading into retirement. Wong's deal tells me that if Turner signs with the Brewers, he won't get much money up front.

security heading into retirement...lol

If these guys aren't already secure going into retirement, they are sad sad human beings...

I get that. I have no idea how smart Justin Turner is with his money, but there are plenty of MLB players out there who, if they earn $8 million a year, will find a way to spend $10 million.

Has any team ever went over the threshold that costs them draft slots?

I would think Friedman would value draft picks as much as anyone, so I think the addition of Bauer makes it a lot less likely that Turner will return to the Dodgers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Has any team ever went over the threshold that costs them draft slots?

There is no such threshold. Your first pick (unless you pick in the top 6) gets pushed back 10 spots. That's it. Which is not nothing, but if you're the Dodgers then that means picking 38th-40th instead of 28th-40th. The difference between the type of player available at each spot is a lot less than what spending $30m extra per year on short-term deals gets you.

Damnit....

The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal writes that the Brewers are just “on the periphery of the bidding for Turner.”

That’s from an article he wrote Saturday morning, but it didn’t really give any specifics on where things stood overall with the Turner market. Seems like the expectation is still a return to the Dodgers, but I wouldn’t be completely floored if the Dodgers end up making a lesser “best & final” offer than other teams. Of course even in that case it’s not out of the question that Turner ends up back in SoCal.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

In that same article it’s mentioned that Arizona has been getting calls for Escobar, how do you y’all feel about that and what type of package to acquire him?

It would really depend on what the D'backs would take for him. He's a one year rental guy and I doubt the Crew would want to give up all that much for a rental.

In that same article it’s mentioned that Arizona has been getting calls for Escobar, how do you y’all feel about that and what type of package to acquire him?

It would really depend on what the D'backs would take for him. He's a one year rental guy and I doubt the Crew would want to give up all that much for a rental.

I’d be interested if he was truly available. He is owed $7.7 million this year, so unless the Dbacks were going to pick up a solid chunk of his salary I don’t think he’d cost much at all in terms of the return. The article mentions the Dbacks would be more apt to trade him at the trade deadline in hopes he’ll build some value back up this season. I think that is actual the smarter move on their part.

You kind of have to think the Brewers have some plans on what to do at 3B and they’re waiting for the chips to fall.

I don’t see them going into the 2021 season with just Luis Urias as the starting 3B. If they planned to play him mostly at third they’d surely sign a Brad Miller, Jedd Gyorko type player to hedge their bets at 3rd and give them depth on the infield.

You kind of have to think the Brewers have some plans on what to do at 3B and they’re waiting for the chips to fall.

I don’t see them going into the 2021 season with just Luis Urias as the starting 3B. If they planned to play him mostly at third they’d surely sign a Brad Miller, Jedd Gyorko type player to hedge their bets at 3rd and give them depth on the infield.

I get the feeling that the Brewers have probably made Turner a competitive offer (maybe even the best offer) to be their full time 3B, and he's weighing his options. If he re-signs with the Dodgers, as expected, then they'll pivot to a LHH like Miller or Lamb, and go with a straight platoon with one of those guys and Urias.

I get the feeling that the Brewers have probably made Turner a competitive offer (maybe even the best offer) to be their full time 3B, and he's weighing his options. If he re-signs with the Dodgers, as expected, then they'll pivot to a LHH like Miller or Lamb, and go with a straight platoon with one of those guys and Urias.

I agree, I think the Brewers are likely maintaining some hope that Turner could end up in Milwaukee, but will execute a different plan if Turner returns to the Dodgers as widely expected.

One thing I’m intrigued with for the Dodgers is they have a very good (and currently full) 40-man roster. They’ll have to make a transaction early this week to add Bauer, and bringing Turner back will force them to also either DFA or trade someone. I certainly wouldn’t hate the Brewers exploring a trade for Edwin Rios if the Dodgers do re-sign Turner.

Man, if Edwin Rios fell into the Brewers lap as a consolation prize, that would be neat!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Guessing, regardless of who they get for 3B, they want someone with power. Right now we have power in LF and 1B. The rest of the team is pretty light hitting. No way do I see them throwing Urias at 3rd. We need to find another bat that might help score runs without requiring three hits in a row to make it happen.

I don’t mind not being power dependent...but the current team is really lacking in the power department.

Guessing, regardless of who they get for 3B, they want someone with power. Right now we have power in LF and 1B. The rest of the team is pretty light hitting. No way do I see them throwing Urias at 3rd. We need to find another bat that might help score runs without requiring three hits in a row to make it happen.

I don’t mind not being power dependent...but the current team is really lacking in the power department.

That simply isn't true. This team's starting RF hit 20 HRs in his last full season in 2019, and the team's starting catcher hit 22 that year. You may not be happy with what Garcia and Narvaez looked like last year, but to not call them legit power threats is simply incorrect.

If Urias can become at least most of the hitter in the majors that he was in the minors, I'd be completely fine if he's the 3B and there's not a lot of power coming from that position.

Eduardo Escobar would be a solid get for 3B. He's 4 years younger than Justin Turner, cheaper than Turner, and probably more likely to be re-signable.

That simply isn't true. This team's starting RF hit 20 HRs in his last full season in 2019, and the team's starting catcher hit 22 that year. You may not be happy with what Garcia and Narvaez looked like last year, but to not call them legit power threats is simply incorrect.

I'd much rather DS do what they can to put a 3B option over there that's another OBP machine than trying to focus on power. The Brewers have enough power already - what they need is more guys capable of 0.350-0.400 OBP across the lineup so when that power comes up alot more damage can be done and they can't be pitched around as much. What makes Turner so attractive to me on this Brewers team is his ability to get on base and not strike out nearly as much as other players with comparable power. Plus, his career shows he's essentially the same hitter against both right and left-handed pitching. The HRs and slugging from Turner are icing on the cake - his ability to get on base and limit how often he makes an out without putting the ball in play is the biggest value he'd provide to this lineup.

The career high for Garcia is 10 HRs and Narvaez certainly can't be counted on to provide anything. Its fine if you don't think we need power to win but this team is severely lacking in pop.

Archived