Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla

Oh, what does that have to do with Urias? Yelich has no bearing on Luis. That was a 40 current grade with 60 FV value. These are all reports on Urias...

Power (40) – Urias is built narrow in the shoulders and hips, and his long frame could lead you to believe he’s taller than he truly is, but he does use his legs and especially his arms in leverage in his swing, but there’s just only so much he can access there. He should pound gaps, but I would imagine double-digit home runs would be stretch

Bobby DeMuro of Baseball Census put together an excellent scouting report on Urias this past December. He puts a 70-grade (future .300 hitter) on Urias’s hit tool, stating that Urias has a “truly freakish ability to put the barrel on the ball like few I’ve seen the last few years.” But he puts a 30-grade (3-5 HR) on his power tool. “Extremely little power at present; virtually no over-the-fence pop now and unlikely to develop into average power profile with age."

Bernie Pleskoff filed an extended scouting report on Urias in October. It’s a great overall look at Urias as a player, but for our purposes here, this is the important bit:

“I also don’t feel Urias will hit for much power. He is slight of build and it isn’t likely that he will be able to power the ball over the fence with any regularity. I do, however, think his barrel-of-the-bat approach should yield a few home runs every season. Since he is still young, he may add some depth to his frame, but I don’t believe that will convert to much more power."

4) Luis Urias, 2B-SS, Grade B+: Age 20, signed out of Mexico in 2013; hit .296/.398/.380 with 20 doubles, three homers, 68 walks, 65 strikeouts in 442 at-bats in Double-A; excellent strike zone judgment with contact ability and gap power, not likely to be a home run hitter but has respectable punch, enough to keep pitchers honest; not a butcher at shortstop but range and hands work better at second base; could be something like Freddy Sanchez with more walks and fewer injuries. ETA late 2018.

Very athletic middle infielder with plus on-base skills, potential plus hit tool and above-average defense at second base. Has an advanced approach at the plate and feel for the strike zone. Has shown a consistent ability to get on-base at each level thus far. Looks to shoot everything up the middle or to right field; would like to see him turn on balls in more; will add strength as body matures and should develop some gap pop, but still a below-average damage (extra-base hit) profile. The defensive skillset plays best at second base; has enough arm for shortstop and could probably handle the position for a stretch, but the average range plays better at second. Soft hands, quick transfers and good footwork around the second-base bag. Fringe-average runner, not going to be a basestealer; best underway and has enough to score from first base on a double; will take the extra base.

All reports on Urias. All say the same thing. Last thing I'll put out on the topic. Hope we sign Turner.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to interrupt all of the important Urias (will he, won’t he) hit for power talk, but Ken Rosenthal indicated earlier this afternoon that the Brewers seem willing to go to three-years for Turner and the Dodgers most likely haven’t offered beyond two-years so far.

From his article today:

Turner, 36, is seeking at least a three-year contract. The Brewers, and perhaps another team or two, seem willing to give it to him. The Dodgers almost certainly prefer Turner for no more than two years, but have yet to fill his position at third base or replace his right-handed power, effectively leaving the light on for him to return.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Oh, what does that have to do with Urias? Yelich has no bearing on Luis. That was a 40 current grade with 60 FV value. These are all reports on Urias...

I just provided the link via my mad Google skills. Sorry I don't know more.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

I just provided the link via my mad Google skills. Sorry I don't know more.

Oh I know, my friend. That was meant for the poster who posted the quote.

Archived