Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
Just not seeing it in Urias, I get it . Very limited playing time. But what I have seen doesn't do it for me. Admittedly I didn't do a big dive into his numbers but his bat looks weak , hopefully I'm wrong and his bat comes alive. I don't need power , just a guy who can get on base.

If you want a guy who gets on base why would you choose Arcia over Urias? A guy with almost a .400 obp in the minors?

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Urias' key to more playing time is earning it through performance. I think he'll be given opportunity to perform until someone else claims more time or he does. That's just how it works. Right now between 3B and SS and to a lesser extent 2B there's enough time to go around, if Turner is signed that time decreases a bit. Turner is hardly an iron man though so 3B will still have 30 to 40 games where someone else will get playing time even if he's signed.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Just not seeing it in Urias, I get it . Very limited playing time. But what I have seen doesn't do it for me. Admittedly I didn't do a big dive into his numbers but his bat looks weak , hopefully I'm wrong and his bat comes alive. I don't need power , just a guy who can get on base.

#27 http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/

#24 https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-top-100-prospects/

#31 https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-preseason-top-100-prospects/

What do all these projections have in common? Hitting. He knows how to hit and get on base. I get it. It’s projections as a prospect but his meal ticket has always been hitting and getting on base.

The problem with Urias and his bat is that it's likely fool's gold. He didn't hit for any type of power until the PCL and the PCL is a notorious hitter's league. Prior to the PCL, his MiLB ISO numbers align more to what he's done in the bigs these last 2 years. The issue is he is K'ing more at the big league level.

Don't expect the power to come, folks. He's better off serving as a UTIL guy than someone you count on as an every day bat. Stearns doesn't make a ton of trade mistakes but the Grisham-Davies for Urias-Lauer deal looks terrible right now. Love DS but that one hurts.

The problem with Urias and his bat is that it's likely fool's gold. He didn't hit for any type of power until the PCL and the PCL is a notorious hitter's league. Prior to the PCL, his MiLB ISO numbers align more to what he's done in the bigs these last 2 years. The issue is he is K'ing more at the big league level.

Don't expect the power to come, folks. He's better off serving as a UTIL guy than someone you count on as an every day bat. Stearns doesn't make a ton of trade mistakes but the Grisham-Davies for Urias-Lauer deal looks terrible right now. Love DS but that one hurts.

Does the power need to come? He could still have great value even if no power comes. Wong is a great defender with a career 333 obp and 717 ops. He lacks power but has great value.

Arcia has a career 295 obp and 660 ops. Urias can have value if he can have a low strikeout percentage, get on base and play great defense. Andrelton Simmons Just got $10.5 mil from the twins to have a 91 career ops+ But have great defense. Obviously prospects vs established players. But the reasoning is the same, don’t need “big bats” at every position to have value.

Let’s at least give it a full season before we judge that trade. Last year was a strange season and Urias was hurt and had COVID. If we sign Turner, I’m hoping they give Urias most of the reps at SS.

To this point, also keep in mind 2020 as a whole was only 60 games in its entirety & Urias' 2019 MLB time wasn't a full season, either.

On top of that, how many folks here were itchy to dump Woodruff after his 2nd extended stint in the bigs didn't go well? Sometimes minor league history/results justify extended faith and can serve as an indicator that those results are indeed possible in the majors given some time. Growth/evolving as a player doesn't end after someone's MLB debut.

I’d probably wait to see this season before making any sort of statements like this.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Does the power need to come? He could still have great value even if no power comes. Wong is a great defender with a career 333 obp and 717 ops. He lacks power but has great value.

Arcia has a career 295 obp and 660 ops. Urias can have value if he can have a low strikeout percentage, get on base and play great defense. Andrelton Simmons Just got $10.5 mil from the twins to have a 91 career ops+ But have great defense. Obviously prospects vs established players. But the reasoning is the same, don’t need “big bats” at every position to have value.

No but Urias also isn't a GG caliber defender like Wong and Simmons. He's fine on defense but not enough to overcome a lackluster bat. He needs to cut down on the K's if he's every going to be an OBP machine like he was in the minors. I'm fine with giving him time, I'm just saying that we shouldn't expect any type of power to come and, if Urias is to have any type of long term value, it's going to be at SS, not 3B. Just heeding caution.

I’d probably wait to see this season before making any sort of statements like this.

Yeah, no. I'm using data available to everyone to make a realistic prediction. There's nothing wrong with heeding caution on a prospect. Outside of the PCL, Urias has shown no power. That's a fact. If he's going to have any value, he needs to cut down the K's and be the OBP machine he was AA and down. He needs to be in that 12-15% K rate, not 22-25%.

Personally I never had any faith in Urias from the beginning. My feelings were that San Diego had a gaping hole at second base yet chose to trade him. Fairly certain they could have acquired Grisham without his inclusion if they wanted to. So for me, the Padres who knew him better than anyone, decided he wasn't in their plans. He obviously has done nothing to change my mind but hopefully he will prove me wrong.

Growth/evolving as a player doesn't end after someone's MLB debut.

You'd have a point if I was basing my analysis off solely his year with the Brewers. I'm not. I'm basing it off his 1500+ PAs prior to the PCL and his 422 PA in the bigs. What's more likely, that he's the PCL version or that he's what he is the other 2000+ ABs?

All I'm saying is that we should heed caution to our expectations on his power. That's all. He needs to cut down on his K's at the big league level and get back to being the OBP guy he was prior to the PCL. He can't sustain being a 23% K rate guy.

Arcia, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me five years in a row, shame on me. He is what he is, above average glove and no bat. It's not impossible he might become a competent hitter but he's been given more chances than most players and still hasn't done much. Even if you want to say he "broke out" last year his season is inflated by a .455 BABIP in July. August and September he was slightly better than his career but still nothing acceptable for a starting major league hitter.

As for taking the money for Turner and using it on pitching, no thanks. This offense is pretty much crap and has been for years. Take out Yelich playing like vintage Barry Bonds for two seasons and you may have the worst offense ever in modern baseball. The pitching is fine. You can never have enough but making the choice to pay for a mid-range pitcher over Justin Turner is just dumb to me. Now if/when he signs somewhere else, sure, spend it on pitching. But choosing pitching over a huge offensive upgrade right now does nothing to fix what has been a glaring hole on this team for years.

He broke his hamate bone and got Covid last year before ever playing his first game for the Brewers. Hamate bone injuries and surgeries are known for sapping guys of their power. He also may have never gotten fully confident in his wrist again post surgery. He hit .240 last year, something Arcia failed to do 3 out of 4 years for the Brewers prior to last season. Urias had 100 at bats for the Brewers. Give the guy a break. He only has to be a .260/.330/.725 to be a pretty significant upgrade over what we’ve grown accustomed to the last half decade at SS.

Ok, so back to Turner...Is today the day?

One way or the other, this has to get sorted out soon, right?

This seems to happen with a free agent every year, and it is always someone the Brewers are attached to. It does get to be pretty excruciating. Maybe Turner wants to drag this out into spring training to avoid wind sprints?

This is dragging out because Turner does not want to play for the Brewers, but as of right now they have an offer on the table that is considerably better than what the Dodgers are offering. Turner needs to decide how much money he willing to forgo in order to stay in LA.

This is dragging out because Turner does not want to play for the Brewers, but as of right now they have an offer on the table that is considerably better than what the Dodgers are offering. Turner needs to decide how much money he willing to forgo in order to stay in LA.

It may be semantics, but I don't think it's necessarily that Turner doesn't want to play for the Brewers, moreso that he doesn't want to leave familiar surroundings in a city where he's treated like a god, and a dream team's probable shot at a World Series repeat.

I wouldn’t say that he doesn’t want to play for the Brewers. I would say this is indicative the Brewers do have the best offer out and he is weighing leaving his hometown and HIS team and hoping the Dodgers eventually step up their offer. This means he prefers to stay but not that he has animosity about coming to Milwaukee.

Yeah, after being with the Dodgers the last 7 years and being in his mid 30’s, he probably doesn’t want to move his family half way across the country. But I believe the Brewers have the best offer on the table and is waiting it out to see if the Dodgers budge. I think we will know his decision by the end of the weekend.

I'm not saying Turner has animosity toward Milwaukee. I'm saying he wants to play for the Dodgers and not the Brewers.

Personally, while I'd like him to play for the Brewers, I hope he stays in LA because I don't want a high priced key piece of the team to be wishing he was somewhere else for three years.

Personally, while I'd like him to play for the Brewers, I hope he stays in LA because I don't want a high priced key piece of the team to be wishing he was somewhere else for three years.

MLB players, especially those as accomplished as Justin Turner, don't do this. They know it is a business. If he signs with the Brewers, it means he wants to be a Brewer. If he re-signs with the Dodgers, it means he wants to remain a Dodger. I do truly think it's as simple as that. Justin Turner has earned more than $62 million in his career. If he is willing to go to a different city he doesn't want to be in over a few million dollars, he's done something seriously wrong with his life.

I'm not saying Turner has animosity toward Milwaukee. I'm saying he wants to play for the Dodgers and not the Brewers.

Charles Woodson never wanted to sign with the Packers.......he did because nobody else wanted him.....he was phenomenal for them and grew to love being a Packer.

I wouldn’t t worry about him signing here and not being happy.......I’m sure he has already talked to Grandall about how much he enjoyed playing in Milwaukee......maybe Jimmy Nelson too.

Archived