Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
It's not really a prove it type deal just mean playing 1 year in to a better market with the highest probability to have a fantastic season playing often in hitters park's and AAA pitchers 1/4 the time. If 12mil a yr for 2 seasons is the projection I'd imagine he can build himself in to a 14 or 15mil a year for 2 seasons after 2021. Maybe more?

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see 2/24 projected to Dodgers. So Brewers could toss say a 2yr with option deal. Say 10/12 3mil buyout or 12option. Maybe you convince him on a 1/11 with mutual option of 12mil or 3mil buyout. Try selling him on a 1yr "prove it" on what is looking like a weak Central with MP to hit HRs in. A big season by him with a better post covid market and he can take the 3mil and test it. A hitter like him should be licking his chops to play over half his season at MP and over half this season's opponents 60-70s win teams.

Why would Justin Turner take a 30% pay cut and play for 14 million dollars a year? His non pro-rated salary last year was for 20 million dollars. Moreover, Marcus Semien just got 18 million dollars per year, Michael Brantley got 18 million per year. Light hitting Andrelton Simmons got 10.5 million, and career back up catcher James McCann got 10 million per year.

99% of these players don't care where they play, and will go to whatever team will pay them the most. An established vet like Turner is most likely content to wait it out until such a time he is sure he's not leaving any money on the table in negotiations. Neither of those two fact makes him likely to wind up with Milwaukee on a cut rate deal. If he was willing to take a one year deal and a huge pay cut, I imagine he would have already resigned with LA.

I see 2/24 projected to Dodgers. So Brewers could toss say a 2yr with option deal. Say 10/12 3mil buyout or 12option. Maybe you convince him on a 1/11 with mutual option of 12mil or 3mil buyout. Try selling him on a 1yr "prove it" on what is looking like a weak Central with MP to hit HRs in. A big season by him with a better post covid market and he can take the 3mil and test it. A hitter like him should be licking his chops to play over half his season at MP and over half this season's opponents 60-70s win teams.

Why would Justin Turner take a 30% pay cut and play for 14 million dollars a year? His non pro-rated salary last year was for 20 million dollars. Moreover, Marcus Semien just got 18 million dollars per year, Michael Brantley got 18 million per year. Light hitting Andrelton Simmons got 10.5 million, and career back up catcher James McCann got 10 million per year.

99% of these players don't care where they play, and will go to whatever team will pay them the most. An established vet like Turner is most likely content to wait it out until such a time he is sure he's not leaving any money on the table in negotiations. Neither of those two fact makes him likely to wind up with Milwaukee on a cut rate deal. If he was willing to take a one year deal and a huge pay cut, I imagine he would have already resigned with LA.

I'm going off the projection of 2/24. FGs among a couple other googled sites I seen. So the 1 year deal with mutual option or 3mil buyout would technically pay him 14mil for 1yr. Higher than the 12AAV hed make on a 2/24. And I'd make it higher than 2/24 with the buyout if they signed him to 2 plus mutual mutual option. Point being pushing the buyout amount back rather than the money during 1st yr in an offseason of teams shedding payroll. I dont know what LA or the other 2 teams are offering. Maybe 2/24 is as good as it gets. Maybe its a work around towards a 2/28 deal. Brantley is 34 just as consistent as Turner has been. He didn't get 20mil for age 34 or 35 like Turner. Semian the projection was 3yr at 16 per. 18 on a 1mil deal is taking more 1yr and testing FA in a less depressed market. Theres recent history via Grandal and Moustakas to build a bigger payday in next FA.

Turner is the best hope we have for an impact player this offseason. I would easily give him a third year even writing that off in advance as a sunk cost.

3/$45M would probably do it, unless the Dodgers end up agreeing to a third year in which case he is staying in Los Angeles.

Turner is the best hope we have for an impact player this offseason. I would easily give him a third year even writing that off in advance as a sunk cost.

3/$45M would probably do it, unless the Dodgers end up agreeing to a third year in which case he is staying in Los Angeles.

Granted he was a few years younger at the time (entering his age-34 season), but the Brewers ended up giving Aramis Ramirez $46 million over four seasons from 2012-15 (the Pirates paid for part of that final season).

My biggest concern with a multi-year contract for Turner is that the Brewers end up deferring a bunch of salary that limits them financially in a couple of years as Yelich’s cost increases.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Via Jon Morosi:

Once Justin Turner signs, teams should know relatively quickly how realistic a Kris Bryant or Nolan Arenado trade truly is. Bryant’s availability is well established, and some industry sources believe the Rockies are listening on Arenado.

The brewers are not going to Compete with LA especially if the Dodgers want to keep him.

The Dodgers could theoretically be in the Arenado or Bryant sweepstakes though, too. I predict that as soon as there is news on one of these guys, there will be news on the other two soon after.

And yes, it probably ends up with the Brewers signing Maikel Franco.

The brewers are not going to Compete with LA especially if the Dodgers want to keep him.

The Dodgers could theoretically be in the Arenado or Bryant sweepstakes though, too. I predict that as soon as there is news on one of these guys, there will be news on the other two soon after.

And yes, it probably ends up with the Brewers signing Maikel Franco.

or Gyroko... It just feels like it is inevitable. (not that getting him back is a horrible thing, it might be the best we can expect, assuming he is still available once we get our act together)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

once we get our act together)

Is that narrative really accurate or necessary? What leads you to believe that 'they need to get their act together'?

C'mon man... This is a message board for fans. I can rephrase that if you want.

"once they decide what they want to do." Is that better?

Is that narrative really accurate or necessary? What leads you to believe that 'they need to get their act together'?

Yes, actually. You're obviously free to use whichever you'd like, but I don't think you should be surprised if people respond negatively to 'get their act together.'

The problem is this is insinuating they don't know what they want to do. They very likely know exactly what they want to do, have discussed offers with free agents and other teams, have negotiations/discussions ongoing, are waiting on counter offers, players/teams are waiting for dominos to fall before moving on to plan B and C, etc. Just because they haven't signed anyone doesn't mean they're wasting time and don't know what they want to do.

The problem is this is insinuating they don't know what they want to do. They very likely know exactly what they want to do, have discussed offers with free agents and other teams, have negotiations ongoing, are waiting on counter offers, players/teams are waiting for dominos to fall before moving on to plan B and C, etc. Just because they haven't signed anyone doesn't mean they're wasting time and don't know what they want to do.

Of course all that is more than likely correct. However, I can totally understand frustration starting to set in among much of the fanbase after the team decided to jettison so much of its 2020 roster, and has up to this point done little to fill those holes. We're three weeks from the (hopeful) beginning of Spring Training, and there are still some sizable holes on this roster. I understand that the Brewers are certainly not the only team in this situation, as the free agent and trade market has seemingly been especially slow-going this year, and the hot stove rumor mill involving the Brewers has been pretty scant as well.

I think this is just a case of a bunch of baseball fans getting antsy in late January. All it would take is a somewhat significant personnel move or two for this type of attitude to disappear.

I can agree with that 100%. I don't think it's the end of the world if there isn't a big splash coming (I think we'll be competitive within the division as-is even if we're not a World Series threat), but we're definitely all starved for something exciting to happen.

Yeah, I'm starting to get more and more behind the idea of a Brewers "overpay" here. Yeah, it would suck if we have to go 3 years on him (as I'm sure we might have some regret during that 3rd year), but he seems like a guy that should still be a really solid bat in our lineup over the next couple of years. As has already been discussed, I think the only way we get him to Milwaukee is if we offer him up an additional year from what LAD is offering him.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Braves are one of the teams to "check in" on Justin Turner.

Heyman had previously named the Brewers as one of two "mystery teams" in on Turner, and it would appear that the Braves are the other club. However, Heyman notes that the Dodgers are still viewed as a "heavy favorite" for the third baseman. He's seeking a four-year contract.

RELATED: Atlanta Braves

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Jan 29, 2021, 5:30 PM ET

I would be ecstatic to see the Brewers sign Turner, but I just can’t fully wrap my head around him not re-signing in Los Angeles at this stage of his career. I thought maybe there was a small chance the Dodgers would make a run at Arenado or Bryant, but obviously that boat just took on water. I can’t bring myself to get my hopes up for this possibility as much as I want to.

With the move the Cards just made, I think it pretty much cements Turner returning to the Dodgers.

Unless MA thinks we now have to overpay to try and keep up with St. Louis, and we sign Turner tomorrow... *sigh*

Archived