Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
Normally, once one of the big Twiiter names such as Heyman call out the player having multiple offers on the table... things move somewhat quickly from there. Let’s hope

The fact that the Brewers are publicly out there as a suitor actually makes me even less optimistic than I was before (which wasn't much to begin with). The Brewers never operate in the public eye. Every time they sign a player of any magnitude, it almost always comes as a complete surprise. This tweet makes me think that Turner is simply trying to squeeze a few more nickels, or an option year, out of the Dodgers. I'd be extremely surprised if this happens.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Normally, once one of the big Twiiter names such as Heyman call out the player having multiple offers on the table... things move somewhat quickly from there. Let’s hope

The fact that the Brewers are publicly out there as a suitor actually makes me even less optimistic than I was before (which wasn't much to begin with). The Brewers never operate in the public eye. Every time they sign a player of any magnitude, it almost always comes as a complete surprise. This tweet makes me think that Turner is simply trying to squeeze a few more nickels, or an option year, out of the Dodgers. I'd be extremely surprised if this happens.

On the flip side, we heard Brewers were interested in Wong and within the hour we then heard they came to an agreement.

"The #Brewers definitely the underdog here since the Dodgers have "home field" advantage. Turner could be using them to drive up LA's offer. All Milwaukee can do is make honest attempt. Player always knows where he wants to go."

Haudicourt of course has to be the party pooper. Probably realistic though, but annoying that all we seem to hear lately is that teams use the Brewers to drive up other offers.

On the flip side, we heard Brewers were interested in Wong and within the hour we then heard they came to an agreement.

Right. The difference here is that the Brewers have actually been tied to Turner for weeks. These reports really aren't saying anything that we didn't know or couldn't be deduced. That makes me believe the Brewers are simply being used as a pawn.

Yeah, maybe similar to the Darvish rumors from a couple of years ago... BUT my galaxy-brain tells me maybe the reason Murray’s Brewers source told him it’s “unlikely he leaves LA” is to try to downplay it because their interest leaked.

I hope this ends soon, I’ve done an unhealthy amount of psychoanalysis over the past week with very little actual details.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Could be being used as a pawn. Might not be. I'm hopeful but also realistic. Brewers have a history of going for the right guy at the right time, both sometimes unfortunately also coming in close but still 2nd (for example, see: re-signing Greinke, Sabathia, Fielder) and also coming out with the guy they were after (Moose & Grandal a few years ago, for instance).

Some guys go elsewhere and feel it was the right move. Some guys go elsewhere & realize they shouldn't have. Jumping sports, see Mikko Koivu's departure to & sudden/quick retirement from the Columbus Blue Jackets.

I have no doubt the Brewers' offer is being leveraged to try to get more money or another year out of the Dodgers. The question is, is it a bluff or if the Dodgers don't cave would he actually jump to Milwaukee.

If so, it’s a really poor leverage tool, because I don’t really think the Dodgers are afraid of losing him.

If they were afraid of him leaving they would’ve signed him up already. Most likely they made him an offer for less than where he wants to be, and is deciding if he’s going somewhere else or not.

I have no doubt the Brewers' offer is being leveraged to try to get more money or another year out of the Dodgers. The question is, is it a bluff or if the Dodgers don't cave would he actually jump to Milwaukee.

I think this is a good summary of where we are. Brewers have best offer on the table and Turner is waiting to see if Dodgers come back to match or get close to it. I just hope Plan B doesn’t involve Arcia at SS and Robertson as platoon mate at 3B. Urias should be at SS and playing everyday.

LA might have money to burn, but if I were in that GM chair I'd be more than happy to just go with Edwin Rios considering he has a MLB slash line of .260/.338/.634/.972 so far. I wouldn't even care about bad defense if it's joined by a .972 OPS. Rios also OPS'ed .885 in AAA, .847 in AA and 1.105 in A+ ball.

I wouldn't mind a Turner signing but think I would rather just go with Urias/Robertson at 3B and invest more in pitching. If Urias and Robertson flop then I'm looking at the possibility of several 3B being available at the trade deadline (Bryant, Seager, Escobar and maybe even Ramirez if the Indians aren't doing well).

I wouldn't mind a Turner signing but think I would rather just go with Urias/Robertson at 3B and invest more in pitching. If Urias and Robertson flop then I'm looking at the possibility of several 3B being available at the trade deadline (Bryant, Seager, Escobar and maybe even Ramirez if the Indians aren't doing well).

Good point. Are we better off getting Turner and rolling with our current pitching, or getting Paxton or Odorizzi and letting Urias/Robertson play third? I think a good argument could be made either way.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Good point. Are we better off getting Turner and rolling with our current pitching, or getting Paxton or Odorizzi and letting Urias/Robertson play third? I think a good argument could be made either way.

I think they will sign another 3B and starting pitcher regardless. If they get Turner, then we're looking at a guy like Brett Anderson or a reclamation guy on a cheap MLB or minor league deal. If they sign someone like Lamb or Gyorko, that may free up more for the Paxton/Odorizzi/Walker types. I think I'm ok with either of those scenarios. All these free agents still available this close to spring training actually plays well into the Brewers plans IMO

I think this is a good summary of where we are. Brewers have best offer on the table and Turner is waiting to see if Dodgers come back to match or get close to it. I just hope Plan B doesn’t involve Arcia at SS and Robertson as platoon mate at 3B. Urias should be at SS and playing everyday.

The only way Urias is playing SS everyday is if he's at Nashville. Urias has done nothing yet to show he's an everyday player in the big leagues and Arcia showed signs at 25 that he just might be coming of age as a player last year. Besides heir to Arcia at shortstop is Turang. Arcia has two more years before he hits FA. By that time Turang would be on schedule to take over. Urias is "slugging" .320 in over 400 major league PA. Arcia slugged .416 in 2020.

The only way Urias is playing SS everyday is if he's at Nashville. Urias has done nothing yet to show he's an everyday player in the big leagues and Arcia showed signs at 25 that he just might be coming of age as a player last year. Besides heir to Arcia at shortstop is Turang. Arcia has two more years before he hits FA. By that time Turang would be on schedule to take over. Urias is "slugging" .320 in over 400 major league PA. Arcia slugged .416 in 2020.

And Urias already has a better OBP in his career (.315) than Arcia (.295). Look I’d love for Arcia to breakout but how many years are we going to wait for that breakout? if I were to guess who will improve more over the next few seasons, my money is on Urias.

No team in baseball has had less production from the shortstop position over the past five years than the Brewers. I don’t think trying Urias at the position is going to make them any worse off than they’ve been for several years now.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Arcia just entered his prime. While I don’t like using last years stats, he was a pretty good player in that mess of a season. Hopefully, he’s ready to take off and be a solid contributor with the bat now.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just not seeing it in Urias, I get it . Very limited playing time. But what I have seen doesn't do it for me. Admittedly I didn't do a big dive into his numbers but his bat looks weak , hopefully I'm wrong and his bat comes alive. I don't need power , just a guy who can get on base.

Archived