Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
I would love Candelario, switch hitter, plays 3B and 1B... Yes please, cant imagine it would cost too much to get him.

I don't understand why posters continually point out a possible pick up for the Brewers, than suggest they could get them cheap because said player is either "not that good" or because the player's current team is rebuilding.

In the specific case of Candelario, certainly he doesn't look like a cornerstone player, but he did lead the Detroit Tigers in OPS, OPS+ and is penciled in as a starter either at 1B or 3B on what figures to be a non-contending team. Now couple that with their top 3B/1B prospect Torkelson is more likely than not a couple seasons away.

Thus, Detroit has a need for Candelario. With mid-tier free agents getting 7-10 million dollars per year, he is a comparable bargain, plus under team control for multiple seasons. He absolutely could be available in a trade, but Detroit has no reason to move him, and therefore isn't going to merely give him away for some low level prospects from a team with one of the worst systems in baseball. Likewise, the Brewers aren't going to trade a couple of players like Aaron Ashby and Ethan Small to get him, which is more likely the true cost.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Turner is out of the picture and it's between Urias and guys like Shaw or Candy just roll with Urias. He's younger, cheaper, better defensively, has more defensive versatility, already on the team so he costs nothing, and certainly has more upside.

While I tend to agree with you if Turner is out of the picture, I would rather sign Shaw to platoon at 3B with Robertson, and move Urias to SS and let him settle in as the SS of the future. Arcia's time has come and gone IMO and it's time to give Urias SS.

I just don't understand what happened to Shaw, he was damn good for us in 17 and 18... Then just sucks, which sucks for us because here we are STILL looking for a good 3B.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Binelas fall to us in June!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldnt that be something, us drafting the local kid in the 1st round!

What happened to Shaw? After banner years in 2017 and 2018, Counsell only was starting him against LHP in spring training in 2019 so he could work on hitting lefties better. Then the season started and he was facing mostly RHP. Lesson is to stay good, you still have to practice what your good at. He never got his timing down in 2019.

Get the feeling Turner is just jerking us around. Sign Franco to play 3B and a starting pitcher like Taijuan Walker and call the offseason good.

Why on earth would we want Franco? He's a RHH with a 91 career wRC+ who is a very poor defender at 3B. And with almost 6 full seasons worth of service time, he seems like an unlikely breakout candidate. Brewers already has Robertson who has been a better hitter so far (97 wRC+) and is a couple years younger. And Urias. If your're gonna sign a 3B, make it someone who is a clear upgrade, or who has some potential upside, or who complements the existing ones (like a LHH). Franco is neither.

If Franco is a very poor defender at third, why has his UZR/150 rating been better than Justin Turner's the past two years?

Didnt somebody post a lil comment that Shaw said no towards a return to Milw?

And on the DL/IL. I thought there was a Spring Training clock towards placing the 60Day. So yeah I guess JT could be brought in soon by LA. Whoch brings me back to the thought he's a guy that feels ST shouldn't apply to him. So he can wait amd sign during last week of ST and LA does him a "favor" he avoids all of ST.

Still you can't put together a better statcast hitter than Turner in this FA. He lights up the board with red all over representing top 20% virtually in every category. That's a reason why I'm not concerned on a 3year contract.

Didn’t Shaw and/or his agent make some unkind remarks about the Brewers when he signed with Toronto? I certainly could be wrong but it seems unlikely he would be back in Milwaukee.

It is probably unlikely that Shaw is back in Milwaukee but there are no hard feelings according to Travis.

And on the DL/IL. I thought there was a Spring Training clock towards placing the 60Day. So yeah I guess JT could be brought in soon by LA. Whoch brings me back to the thought he's a guy that feels ST shouldn't apply to him. So he can wait amd sign during last week of ST and LA does him a "favor" he avoids all of ST.

Still you can't put together a better statcast hitter than Turner in this FA. He lights up the board with red all over representing top 20% virtually in every category. That's a reason why I'm not concerned on a 3year contract.

I read this tweet from January 2021 as he would be open to a return to Milwaukee.

I read this tweet from January 2021 as he would be open to a return to Milwaukee.

I read it as a No. Bad memories. Because otherwise what part in that statement is he stating he would willing to reunite with MKE?

I read it as a No. Bad memories. Because otherwise what part in that statement is he stating he would willing to reunite with MKE?

The question was asked if he would return or too many bad memories.

"19 was bad but that's in the past. Live and learn"

Maybe it's the optimist in me, but I read that as someone who learned to move past the bad of 19 and remember the best times he ever had on a baseball field in 17 and 18. If not, why not just answer the question "17 and 18 were the best times I ever had on a baseball field, but 19 was bad and I think it best to continue my career elsewhere."

Maybe I am naive, but I wouldn't close the door on a possible return.

He was asked if he would consider a reunion or if he had bad memories... he responded no bad memories (not “no. Bad memories.”) At this point, I don’t think he would be picky, especially when he says he had the most fun he’s had as a Brewer.

That said, I’m not sure if I would be all that excited about a reunion. He was great for those two years, but just doesn’t appear to be the same. As a few others said, I think I’d rather see what we have in Urias. Maybe as a very cheap option to backup 1B/3B.

From Jon Heyman:

Star 3B Justin Turner has multiyear offers from at least the incumbent champion Dodgers and the Brewers. His hometown Dodgers are naturally seen as the favorite but Milwaukee is said hopeful. Mets, Jays and Braves are among others linked to JT but seem less likely for now.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

At least Brewers are hopeful and have offered a multi year deal. Kind of surprised that Turner hasn’t already signed with the Dodgers if they have a multi year deal on the table as well. So maybe a 2 year deal with LA and a 3 year deal from the Brewers?

At least Brewers are hopeful and have offered a multi year deal. Kind of surprised that Turner hasn’t already signed with the Dodgers if they have a multi year deal on the table as well. So maybe a 2 year deal with LA and a 3 year deal from the Brewers?

My complete guess is the Brewers have offered a two-year deal with a third year mutual option that carries a buyout.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Which player do you want?

Player 1:

162 game AVG: 26 HR 81 RBI .251/.310/.753

Player 2:

162 AVG: 25 HR, 86 RBI .252/.304/.737

Either. Who are they?

Player 1 is Mike Moustakas. Player 2 is Makiel Franco.

And I wouldn’t want Franco. He’s just a guy, a band aid, a place holder. I hope the Brewers sign Turner even if it takes 3 years I don’t think he’s suddenly going to crater.

Exciting, but scary. He’s older. He could very easily stink. We already have that in Cain as well. We have a mega-star that stunk in the covid season as we as our only real young talent in Hiura who has some big warts. This could all work out and the crew could be right in the mix but what a house of cards we have going on the offensive side of things. That being said, sign Turner and get yourself somewhat of a complete lineup to go along with a good pitching core.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Get the feeling Turner is just jerking us around. Sign Franco to play 3B and a starting pitcher like Taijuan Walker and call the offseason good.

Why on earth would we want Franco? He's a RHH with a 91 career wRC+ who is a very poor defender at 3B. And with almost 6 full seasons worth of service time, he seems like an unlikely breakout candidate. Brewers already has Robertson who has been a better hitter so far (97 wRC+) and is a couple years younger. And Urias. If your're gonna sign a 3B, make it someone who is a clear upgrade, or who has some potential upside, or who complements the existing ones (like a LHH). Franco is neither.

If Franco is a very poor defender at third, why has his UZR/150 rating been better than Justin Turner's the past two years?

Someone else also putting up bad numbers doesn't make Franco any better. You can live with bad defense if the bat is good, Franco is a below average hitter (especially for 3B) so his defense matters more.

UZR is the one metric that he rates best in, by that he is only the 10th worst (Out of 44 with 1500 innings at the position) 3B since he started playing regularly in 2014. By DRS he is the very worst. By statcasts OAA he put up -2 in the short 2020, -8 in 2019, -4 in 2018 and -1 in 2017.

The best case you can make for him if you take the most favorable metric is that he's a below average defender. Combine that with a below average bat and you have a player who won't be any better than Urias or Robertson, and likely worse. The Moose comparison is somewhat fitting in that they're both players whose HR numbers can lead people to think they're better than they are. Difference is of course that Moose is still the better hitter (especially if you compare his last 6 years only; he was a very different player from 2015 onwards), as well as the much better defender.

Exciting, but scary. He’s older. He could very easily stink. We already have that in Cain as well. We have a mega-star that stunk in the covid season as we as our only real young talent in Hiura who has some big warts. This could all work out and the crew could be right in the mix but what a house of cards we have going on the offensive side of things. That being said, sign Turner and get yourself somewhat of a complete lineup to go along with a good pitching core.

Unlike every other Brewer team since the 90s. This teams strength is pitching. Unless their hitting is abysmal they’ll win plenty of games with their pitching

Archived