Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
Whelp, there's the Dodgers freeing up a 40 man spot for Turner... I'm totally excepting Turner resigns with Dodgers to be announced this weekend... Damn! What a perfect combo he would have been with Yelich.

They freed up a spot losing Kolarak, but then they filled it with Neuse so their net gain was zero. Still have a full 40-man roster.

Oh, crap wasn't aware of that... Guess I forgot the Neuse has played in the majors.

So maybe RRB is right, Dodgers are really moving on from Turner... But man, what it he waiting for to sign?? Just sign the damn deal we probably have out there for you.

Wong

Cain

Yelich

Turner

Hiura

Narvaez

Garcia

Arcia/Urias

I fully except Yeli, Hiura, Narvaez and Garcia to bounce back... All are not the hitters they were in 2020.

I REALLY LIKE THAT LINEUP!!

Yeah, unfortunately the trade for Neuse doesn't seem to affect the Turner situation at all, also per MLBTR: "...it’s unlikely that Neuse’s acquisition in any way closes the door on a reunion with Turner. Neuse has a pair of minor league options remaining, making him the type of depth the Dodgers tend to stockpile: a formerly high draft pick who’s a bit old to be a prospect now but has some defensive versatility and a solid upper-minors track record at the plate..."

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, unfortunately the trade for Neuse doesn't seem to affect the Turner situation at all, also per MLBTR: "...it’s unlikely that Neuse’s acquisition in any way closes the door on a reunion with Turner. Neuse has a pair of minor league options remaining, making him the type of depth the Dodgers tend to stockpile: a formerly high draft pick who’s a bit old to be a prospect now but has some defensive versatility and a solid upper-minors track record at the plate..."

What it does do, though, is make it that much more difficult to squeeze anyone else onto their 40-man roster. Kolarek may have been vulnerable to a DFA had they signed Turner, but it is highly doubtful they would try to DFA Neuse after just acquiring him in a deal. Looking at their roster, I'm not real sure who else would be deemed DFA-worthy. They now have 8 infielders on the 40-man if you include Chris Taylor.

What it does do, though, is make it that much more difficult to squeeze anyone else onto their 40-man roster. Kolarek may have been vulnerable to a DFA had they signed Turner, but it is highly doubtful they would try to DFA Neuse after just acquiring him in a deal. Looking at their roster, I'm not real sure who else would be deemed DFA-worthy. They now have 8 infielders on the 40-man if you include Chris Taylor.

Is the Dodgers 40 man that good and deep where you have to worry about who you squeeze out to make room for Justin Turner? Yikes.

Still, wouldnt the Dodgers signing Turner inflict more luxury tax penalties?

I definitely agree with what others have said, if the Dodgers wanted Turner back they would have already come to an agreement on a deal.

Is the Dodgers 40 man that good and deep where you have to worry about who you squeeze out to make room for Justin Turner? Yikes.

It is certainly getting to that point. They are taking the "stack the deck" approach to team building that their NBA neighbors the Lakers have followed the last several years.

The Dodgers just pulled off another trade shipping out Dylan Florio to the Marlins for Alex Vesia and a prospect. Both Florio and Vesia were on their respective 40-man rosters, so the Dodgers roster continues to remain full for the time being.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

The Dodgers just pulled off another trade shipping out Dylan Florio to the Marlins for Alex Vesia and a prospect. Both Florio and Vesia were on their respective 40-man rosters, so the Dodgers roster continues to remain full for the time being.

What is with all this shuffling from them????

Watch them just DFA Vesia when announcing Turner signing.

Can I make the suggestion again that you try to avoid becoming emotionally attached to Turner? While there are still some tea leaves that point the Brewers way, the chance of it happening is probably still very slim. Right now I'm at the point where if they surprise me and sign him, great. Cool! If not ... it was extremely unlikely to happen anyway.

Just don't want to see you hurt when the inevitable happens, man. ;)

How do y’all feel about Jeimer Candelario at 3rd? Put up solid numbers last year, making the minimum and still just 26 years young.

Similarly, how about David Fletcher from the Angels? Also 26 and has solid position versatility.

Why would Detroit trade Candelario, if he has some ability, is affordable and under team control long term? Those are they type of players rebuilding clubs like Detroit target, not trade away.

In a purse sense, every player in MLB is "available" for a price. However, trading for a player coming off an .872 OPS who has multiple seasons of team control left, etc. etc. means to cost to acquire him from Detroit is probably not worth it to the Brewers, then they could acquire a comparable player as a free agent.

Can I make the suggestion again that you try to avoid becoming emotionally attached to Turner? While there are still some tea leaves that point the Brewers way, the chance of it happening is probably still very slim. Right now I'm at the point where if they surprise me and sign him, great. Cool! If not ... it was extremely unlikely to happen anyway.

Just don't want to see you hurt when the inevitable happens, man. ;)

Haha, yea I'm gonna just get it out of my mind on Turner being here... Thank you!

How do y’all feel about Jeimer Candelario at 3rd? Put up solid numbers last year, making the minimum and still just 26 years young.

Similarly, how about David Fletcher from the Angels? Also 26 and has solid position versatility.

Why would Detroit trade Candelario, if he has some ability, is affordable and under team control long term? Those are they type of players rebuilding clubs like Detroit target, not trade away.

In a purse sense, every player in MLB is "available" for a price. However, trading for a player coming off an .872 OPS who has multiple seasons of team control left, etc. etc. means to cost to acquire him from Detroit is probably not worth it to the Brewers, then they could acquire a comparable player as a free agent.

First, he will hit arbitration next year. Also, he’s not a franchise cornerstone player. What Candelario is, is a decent bat for a contending team. You guys speculate about a free agent like Justin Turner who will probably get over $30 million for two years and 90% likely will resign with the Dodgers yet shut down other options without blinking. This happens far too often on here. As far as Fletcher goes, he’s probably too costly but he’s got a good bat and nice versatility.

I have bad news. If I am reading this correctly, the Dodgers can indeed place their two pitchers that underwent Tommy John surgery last fall, Tommy Kahnle and Caleb Ferguson, on the 60-day IL starting on February 17th (the first day that pitchers and catchers report).

Source on IL details: A player cannot be placed on the MLB 60-day Injured List after the conclusion of the MLB regular season, and during the post-season and off-season, up until the start of Spring Training (beginning on the date that pitchers & catchers are scheduled to report). A minor league player can be placed on a minor league club's 60-day Injured List only during his minor league club's regular season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

News leaked about Trevor Bauer agreeing to a contract with the Dodgers on Feb 5, he wasn't officially signed and added to their roster until yesterday which is 5 business days including the day the agreement with Bauer was reached. The Dodgers could agree to terms with Turner today and not officially add him until after the 17th or 18th pretty easily.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I am starting to get the feeling that if Turner does not come to Milwaukee, the Brewers will pivot to Travis Shaw. Call it a hunch but I think his versatility to backup 1B/3B and the occasional 2B (in an emergency) over the combination of Vogelbach and Robertson is preferable as it frees up a roster spot. Urias and Shaw splitting 3B and Shaw getting the occasional start at 1B for Hiura isn't the worst thing the Brewers could do if Turner isn't signed.

But why Shaw? He wasn't as bad last year as he was in 2019 but he was still pretty terrible for a corner infielder.

I would love Candelario, switch hitter, plays 3B and 1B... Yes please, cant imagine it would cost too much to get him.

I am really sceptical about Candelario. He had a good short season, but look at the previous two full seasons. .224/.317/.710 and .203/.306/.643...

I am starting to get the feeling that if Turner does not come to Milwaukee, the Brewers will pivot to Travis Shaw. Call it a hunch but I think his versatility to backup 1B/3B and the occasional 2B (in an emergency) over the combination of Vogelbach and Robertson is preferable as it frees up a roster spot. Urias and Shaw splitting 3B and Shaw getting the occasional start at 1B for Hiura isn't the worst thing the Brewers could do if Turner isn't signed.

But why Shaw? He wasn't as bad last year as he was in 2019 but he was still pretty terrible for a corner infielder.

True, however, outside of Turner, we're down to a lot of guys with a lot of warts. Cabrera is probably the most consistent of those left, but Shaw does have an upside that matches anyone available and his defense is probably a bit of a separator:

2018-20:

CceBNq9.png

With that said, you can see what the projection systems like about Urias in that regard too. But if Turner or someone via trade can't be had, I could see Shaw being another nice guy to split time at 3B/1B/2B (if needed) and provide some nice defense. If he bounces back on offense, you get a steal. I'd probably still lean towards Cabrera for that kind of role, but wouldn't be too disappointed seeing what Shaw's got left.

Because it likely only costs you NRI or Minor League deal and he kills three birds with one stone (backup 3B and 1B, emergency 2B). Whereas the Brewers have to carry Robertson and Vogelbach to address those backup roles now. Not saying its necessarily the smartest, but versatility has proven to be the Brewers MO...and he will still only be 31 this year.

I just don't understand what happened to Shaw, he was damn good for us in 17 and 18... Then just sucks, which sucks for us because here we are STILL looking for a good 3B.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Binelas fall to us in June!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldnt that be something, us drafting the local kid in the 1st round!

Get the feeling Turner is just jerking us around. Sign Franco to play 3B and a starting pitcher like Taijuan Walker and call the offseason good.

Why on earth would we want Franco? He's a RHH with a 91 career wRC+ who is a very poor defender at 3B. And with almost 6 full seasons worth of service time, he seems like an unlikely breakout candidate. Brewers already has Robertson who has been a better hitter so far (97 wRC+) and is a couple years younger. And Urias. If your're gonna sign a 3B, make it someone who is a clear upgrade, or who has some potential upside, or who complements the existing ones (like a LHH). Franco is neither.

Archived