Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
  • Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
“Andrew Friedman says that the signing of Trevor Bauer doesn't have an impact on bringing back third baseman Justin Turner, praising Turner for what he has meant to the organization, while stressing they still are hungry for another World Series title.”

What most of us thought, but still annoying to read.

You know what does have an impact on bringing back third baseman Justin Turner? Actually signing him to a contract. The fact that the Dodgers have yet to do that is quite telling.

Praising him so he feels obligated to accept less? Sort of like Braun saying to this point he doesn't have an interest to continue playing. Everyone believes that if teams really want them, even one's they have a history with, they'll pay them the going rate.

The longer this goes on, the more optimistic I am about Turner ending up in Milwaukee (although to be fair, that's just going from 5% chance of it happening to 15%). If the Dodgers were as motivated to keep him and he as motivated to return as the reports have indicated, it seems like they would have found a way to bridge the gap already.

Bill Plunkett of the OC Register wrote an article today on Turner from the Dodgers perspective, Dodgers’ Andrew Friedman won’t rule out re-signing Justin Turner

Here are some of the more relevant quotes attributed to Andrew Friedman:

During Bauer’s introductory news conference on Thursday afternoon, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman was asked if that expenditure means they are out of the running to re-sign Turner.

“The simple answer is no,” Friedman said. “We’re committed to doing everything we can to put together the best roster that we can. Obviously, it’s difficult for me to comment on a specific free agent. But I think it’s pretty well documented what we think of JT, what he’s meant to this organization.

“As far as how that’s gonna play out, we will see.”

Bauer’s contract takes the Dodgers’ payroll well past the Competitive Balance Tax threshold. As it stands, their 2021 payroll will lead the majors (for the first time since 2017) and come in around $238 million, costing them an additional $7 million in luxury tax.

That will not preclude the Dodgers from re-signing Turner, Friedman said – or making another addition to satisfy his expressed desire for another right-handed hitter.

“At every turn in the six-plus years I’ve been here, ownership has been incredibly supportive of doing everything we can to win and to reward the amazing fans that we have to bring a world championship back to L.A. which had been a long time coming,” Friedman said. “Now, their mindset is ‘Let’s do it again. And, let’s flip the switch and have the mindset of repeating.’ Obviously, the action of this speaks to that.

“I think it’s difficult at any one moment in time to look at our payroll and to deduce too much from it. We’ve talked about this a lot. It is a three- to five-year kind of process that we look at – the ebbs and flows of that. But the thing that has been a constant throughout is winning. And so, that’s where our mindset still is, and we’ll see how that plays out.”

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Imagine hearing Turner signs with the Dodgers and the Brewers were his 2nd team until LA ponied up a few more million. The exact competitive balance luxury tax threshold definition right there.

As to the Turner to Cubs after Bryant trade idea. It has merits. Statcast lists HRs he'd have had playing for the other teams. The Cubs were #1 and it was 8 more over 2019&20. Brewers just 1.

Is Turner doing a Braun where he has 0 interest in playing Spring Training and just holding out for LA to sign him until the last week before Opening day?

Nothing on the Brewers end should signing Turner and possibility of DH be in the thought process. 3b is a black hole of nothing positive, no point signing a 3b with DH in mind for 2-4years. There is something that may have lead to Turner's value dipping the last 2 seasons. Teams shifted the most with him at the plate in 2019.

Is the NL Central a shift heavy strategy? If it's not 5WAR at 3b is staring back at Arnold/Stearns for 2021 vs whatever zips has it projected now. 3/39 now with built in incentives. 1 mil for 500+PAs. That escalates 1mil each time doing so. 2nd is 2mil. 3rd is 3mil. That would get him up to 3/45 if he does so.

Bill Plunkett of the OC Register wrote an article today on Turner from the Dodgers perspective, Dodgers’ Andrew Friedman won’t rule out re-signing Justin Turner

Here are some of the more relevant quotes attributed to Andrew Friedman:

During Bauer’s introductory news conference on Thursday afternoon, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman was asked if that expenditure means they are out of the running to re-sign Turner.

“The simple answer is no,” Friedman said. “We’re committed to doing everything we can to put together the best roster that we can. Obviously, it’s difficult for me to comment on a specific free agent. But I think it’s pretty well documented what we think of JT, what he’s meant to this organization.

“As far as how that’s gonna play out, we will see.”

Classic front office speak:

“Committed to doing everything we can” = last best offer has been made

“It’s pretty well documented what we think of JT, what he’s meant to this organization” = the ball is in his Court if he wants to be here.

The Dodgers just made a trade with the A's in which they acquired infielder Sheldon Neuse. The recently turned 26-year old Neuse is someone I've previously thought could make sense for the Brewers to target as a potential future 3B option. Interesting move for the Dodgers, Neuse was on the A's 40-man roster. The Dodgers freed a spot on their own 40-man by including LHRP Adam Kolarek in the deal.

Full trade details according to Jeff Passan...

Dodgers and A's have made a trade, sources tell ESPN.

Oakland will receive LHR Adam Kolarek and OF Cody Thomas.

Los Angeles gets IF Sheldon Neuse and RHP Gus Varland.

The Dodgers just made a trade with the A's in which they acquired infielder Sheldon Neuse. The recently turned 26-year old Neuse is someone I've previously thought could make sense for the Brewers to target as a potential future 3B option. Interesting move for the Dodgers, Neuse was on the A's 40-man roster. The Dodgers freed a spot on their own 40-man by including LHRP Adam Kolarek in the deal.

That has to be writing on the wall that they are moving on from Turner. Neuse is a RHH 3B that would make sense as a platoon partner with Rios. Cody Thomas was on their 40-man as well, so this does free up a spot.

Cody Thomas was on their 40-man as well, so this does free up a spot.

Was he, I thought they left him unprotected in the most recent Rule 5 draft? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I didn't think he was on their current 40-man roster.

Back to your point about Neuse, yes he's definitely a 3B long term. He played some 2B this year out of necessity (since the A's have some Chapman guy already entrenched at third base), but in the minors the overwhelming majority of his experience was as a 3B.

Cody Thomas was on their 40-man as well, so this does free up a spot.

Was he, I thought they left him unprotected in the most recent Rule 5 draft? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I didn't think he was on their current 40-man roster.

I could have sworn I saw him on their 40-man recently, but now that I look again, he isn't included. In any case, I still think this makes it much more obvious that they are moving on from Turner.

That has to be writing on the wall that they are moving on from Turner. Neuse is a RHH 3B that would make sense as a platoon partner with Rios. Cody Thomas was on their 40-man as well, so this does free up a spot.

I hope so, but I really doubt it. Neuse has two minor league options remaining, so he could just be a nice depth piece for them. And really, if you’re the Dodgers and you’re basically assembling the Monstars of Major League Baseball, are you really going to stop short and opt for Sheldon Neuse over Justin Turner? The juggernaut will only grow, as this is the way of the world now, including baseball. Big is beautiful, apparently. *sigh*

Full trade details according to Jeff Passan...

Dodgers and A's have made a trade, sources tell ESPN.

Oakland will receive LHR Adam Kolarek and OF Cody Thomas.

Los Angeles gets IF Sheldon Neuse and RHP Gus Varland.

Whelp, there's the Dodgers freeing up a 40 man spot for Turner... I'm totally excepting Turner resigns with Dodgers to be announced this weekend... Damn! What a perfect combo he would have been with Yelich.

Whelp, there's the Dodgers freeing up a 40 man spot for Turner... I'm totally excepting Turner resigns with Dodgers to be announced this weekend... Damn! What a perfect combo he would have been with Yelich.

They freed up a spot losing Kolarak, but then they filled it with Neuse so their net gain was zero. Still have a full 40-man roster.

I am starting to get the feeling that if Turner does not come to Milwaukee, the Brewers will pivot to Travis Shaw. Call it a hunch but I think his versatility to backup 1B/3B and the occasional 2B (in an emergency) over the combination of Vogelbach and Robertson is preferable as it frees up a roster spot. Urias and Shaw splitting 3B and Shaw getting the occasional start at 1B for Hiura isn't the worst thing the Brewers could do if Turner isn't signed.

They freed up a spot losing Kolarak, but then they filled it with Neuse so their net gain was zero. Still have a full 40-man roster.

Oh, crap wasn't aware of that... Guess I forgot the Neuse has played in the majors.

So maybe RRB is right, Dodgers are really moving on from Turner... But man, what it he waiting for to sign?? Just sign the damn deal we probably have out there for you.

Wong

Cain

Yelich

Turner

Hiura

Narvaez

Garcia

Arcia/Urias

I fully except Yeli, Hiura, Narvaez and Garcia to bounce back... All are not the hitters they were in 2020.

I REALLY LIKE THAT LINEUP!!

Archived