Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
The Mets and Cubs are actively discussing a Kris Bryant trade. Noteworthy because that would certainly take the Mets out of the Justin Turner running.

If the Cubs flip Bryant for prospects, is it possible or likely, they become a suitor for Turner?

You’re gonna make me cry...

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Mets and Cubs are actively discussing a Kris Bryant trade. Noteworthy because that would certainly take the Mets out of the Justin Turner running.

But then won't the Cubs need a third baseman... and Turner's wife's family grew up as Chicago sports fans...

200.gif

Not just “at Night” anymore.

But then won't the Cubs need a third baseman... and Turner's wife's family grew up as Chicago sports fans...

200.gif

Yup, I’m now crying...

200.gif

So the Cubs are going to get out of paying their 29-year old All-Star former MVP 3B $19.5 million, then turn around and pay a 36-year-old likely inferior player a guaranteed $30 million? Not sure that math works. They'd probably just hand the job to Bote or throw Happ at 3B.

So that was the plan all along? Cubs trade Bryant, sign Turner, and we go with what we got?

Now I'm crying...

I still think Turner will be a Dodger, no matter what happens with Bryant.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So the Cubs are going to get out of paying their 29-year old All-Star former MVP 3B $19.5 million, then turn around and pay a 36-year-old likely inferior player a guaranteed $30 million? Not sure that math works. They'd probably just hand the job to Bote or throw Happ at 3B.

To be clear, I was attempting a joke.

I'm as guilty as anyone of overthinking this Turner thing at every opportunity.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don't quite get the "he'll be an albatross in two years" talk. Do we really think $13M for a year is crippling? Everyone seems pretty confident in how he can help this year, we're only talking about *risking* two years beyond that. If he starts to dip I would think his production would still be similar to how Braun's been the past couple years and we've been paying him $20M per year. Not to mention we'll likely have the DH role that he can slide into if his defense turns into an issue.

To be clear, I was attempting a joke.

I'm as guilty as anyone of overthinking this Turner thing at every opportunity.

In hindsight, the Zach Galifianakis meme probably should have given that away. Please excuse my not smartness

I don't quite get the "he'll be an albatross in two years" talk. Do we really think $13M for a year is crippling? Everyone seems pretty confident in how he can help this year, we're only talking about *risking* two years beyond that. If he starts to dip I would think his production would still be similar to how Braun's been the past couple years and we've been paying him $20M per year. Not to mention we'll likely have the DH role that he can slide into if his defense turns into an issue.

Yeah I was just going to make this point. Even if he completely falls apart in three years, we wouldn't even be paying much more than we are already paying a guy like Avisail Garcia.

Regression and age are already factored into what Turner is looking at in free agency.

I see a report that the Dodgers are planning to make the Bauer signing official today. Does that mean he has to be added to the 40 man roster immediately, or will they still have more time in the coming days to figure out that logjam situation?

I see a report that the Dodgers are planning to make the Bauer signing official today. Does that mean he has to be added to the 40 man roster immediately, or will they still have more time in the coming days to figure out that logjam situation?

As I understand it, as soon as they make it official, they also have to announce the corresponding roster move.

OK - good to know. We should at least start to see some of the dominoes fall then today in regards to the Dodgers roster situation. Do they have a trade in the works to clear up 1-2 spots, or are they simply going to cut someone from the 40 man?

And, there it is - Josh Sborz gets cut to make room for Bauer. Well, that was anti-climactic - wasn't it.

Sborz is a potential solid, and cheap, pen piece. He'll have interest if he gets to the waiver wire.

Oh, I'm sure he will. I was just hoping that the Dodgers might make a trade of some kind to free up the 40 man spot. And, for some reason I guess I was thinking that they had to free up two spots - but I guess it was just the one.

“Andrew Friedman says that the signing of Trevor Bauer doesn't have an impact on bringing back third baseman Justin Turner, praising Turner for what he has meant to the organization, while stressing they still are hungry for another World Series title.”

What most of us thought, but still annoying to read.

“Andrew Friedman says that the signing of Trevor Bauer doesn't have an impact on bringing back third baseman Justin Turner, praising Turner for what he has meant to the organization, while stressing they still are hungry for another World Series title.”

What most of us thought, but still annoying to read.

You know what does have an impact on bringing back third baseman Justin Turner? Actually signing him to a contract. The fact that the Dodgers have yet to do that is quite telling.

Unfortunately the Dodgers hold all the cards. They know Turner wants to be there and might not be budging in the knowledge that eventually Turner will just take the 1 year offer there in the end.

Or call their bluff and take 2-3 from us.

Archived