Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla
  • Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind letting the Dodgers off the hook if it means we're improved as well. Price is still a good pitcher and would be a good compliment to the rotation:

2018-20:

vt5w0dA.png

And Rios would be a legit, young bat to add:

wN0DI02.png

If you can get some of Price's contract paid as well, I don't really see the downside if you're paying ~$10M per year the next two years for Price and Rios combined.

I would definitely do that deal if you feel like Rios can stay at 3rd. I can't see the current Dodgers front office doing something like that however. It almost makes you wonder why the Dodgers would have any interest in bringing back Turner at all.

I would definitely do that deal if you feel like Rios can stay at 3rd. I can't see the current Dodgers front office doing something like that however. It almost makes you wonder why the Dodgers would have any interest in bringing back Turner at all.

PR

The fans are going to be pissed if Turner leaves...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

PR

The fans are going to be pissed if Turner leaves...

Nobody in a front office really cares about making fans happy. According to estimates by Forbes the Dodgers had 556 million dollars of revenue in 2019; no matter what happens with Turner there is zero chance the wheels are going to fall off that revenue train. Rather it will keep on chugging no matter who plays 3B.

In fact fan favorites leave for better contract terms elsewhere all the time: Johnny Damon, Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine,, Jake Arrieta to name a few.

With spring training around the corner, Turner likely has teams' so called "last best offers" on the table and has all the leverage. He can sit back and wait until a team blinks, and if not, he can accept whichever one he believes best.

Perhaps if Turner was a hall of fame player who spent his career with one team, like Jeter, there maybe a PR component adding value to a contract offer. However, in today's game players go wherever the contract offer is the best 95+% of the time, and every front office knows its about winning not having players the fans like to root for.

I'd do a 3 year contract for Turner in a heartbeat. As has been said, not quite expecting Nelson Cruz but Turner has been a slightly better hitter than Cruz through the meat of his career (minus the power which evens it up nicely for Cruz) but in AVG/OBP and look at his strikeout numbers. While the HRs are low he hits plenty of doubles. He's the dream.

Which is why I think the Dodgers would be nuts to let him go.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

The hardest part for me to rationalize in the Turner saga is the winning in 2021 but at the cost of 2022 and 2023. I think it will take 3 years $39 or so million to get him to Milwaukee for his age 36, 37, & 38 seasons and, if he signs, the Brewers are not only the favorite but are quite likely (75%+ IMO) to win the 2021 NL Central.

The tricky part is I could see his contract becoming hard to stomach by midseason 2022 and an albatross in 2023. The question I have is what would the financial impact be on re-signing or extending Woodruff, Burnes, Hader, and Hiura or being able to address other deficiencies in the lineup.

I think we should also consider the fact that he might prefer to play with the Dodgers again to try for another ring. Might he take a small discount to pony up and ride with the heavily favored Dodgers to win another ring? No team gives him the immediate chance at another ring like the Dodgers do...

Unless the Dodgers simply don't want him, then he will be choosing the best offer.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The hardest part for me to rationalize in the Turner saga is the winning in 2021 but at the cost of 2022 and 2023. I think it will take 3 years $39 or so million to get him to Milwaukee for his age 36, 37, & 38 seasons and, if he signs, the Brewers are not only the favorite but are quite likely (75%+ IMO) to win the 2021 NL Central.

The tricky part is I could see his contract becoming hard to stomach by midseason 2022 and an albatross in 2023. The question I have is what would the financial impact be on re-signing or extending Woodruff, Burnes, Hader, and Hiura or being able to address other deficiencies in the lineup.

I get these concerns, but in the end we're still just speculating. It might work out just fine. There's no guarantee it works out badly and that the contract is an albatross by 2023. Of course it could happen that way, but it's not a given.

I think we should also consider the fact that he might prefer to play with the Dodgers again to try for another ring. Might he take a small discount to pony up and ride with the heavily favored Dodgers to win another ring? No team gives him the immediate chance at another ring like the Dodgers do...

Unless the Dodgers simply don't want him, then he will be choosing the best offer.

He would probably take a small discount to play with the Dodgers if everything else is the same, but an extra year on a contract for someone his age is pretty significant. The Dodgers not only have wealth in terms of money, but they also have a strong farm, so I could see why they wouldn't want to add the extra year(s). He could regress and then he'd be blocking a good player. Sadly, the Brewers don't have that problem.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I do think the Dodgers are a good team to try to swing a deal with from the standpoint their roster crunch is certainly a real issue. The Rays have moved good mid-20s players like Jake Cronenworth, Nick Solak, and Nate Lowe due in some part to having similar roster and positional crowding. The Dodgers moved Kenta Maeda last February because they didn't have a clear rotation spot for him. I think being in conversations with a team that has a talented 40-man roster busting at the seams could lead to some benefit for the Brewers.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I’m normally completely against signing players in their mid 30’s to any deal longer than 2 years, but I could get behind signing Turner. He is an elite hitter that hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down. He’s a big righty bat to pair with Hiura and Cain to complement Yelich, Narvaez, and Wong. He walks a bunch, strikes out under 17% of the time, and provides some much needed protection to Yelich in the lineup.

Wong/Cain

Hiura

Yelich

Turner

Narvaez

Cain/Wong

A top of the order like that can compete with anybody, but without Turner we are severely lacking another middle of the order bat.

With the DH coming, his hard hit percentage the last two years being the HIGHEST of his career, and our massive need at the corner infield spot with nothing in the pipeline, he’s the perfect fit. The more I think about Turner in a Brewers uniform, the more I get behind the idea. I would have no issue doing a 3 year deal to get him to Milwaukee. Something along the lines of 3/$39 million or so. If he’s dead set on getting a 4th year, I would most likely still do it as long as the contract is set up for him to receive less later in the contract and with the AAV being brought down because of the 4th year added.

Something like a 4/$45 million with him receiving 13, 13, 11, 8. He could regress to a .260/.330/.800 hitter in his 4th year and still be a quality 5 hole hitter on a competitive team. Thoughts on a 4 year deal structured this way knowing the DH is coming?

I get these concerns, but in the end we're still just speculating. It might work out just fine. There's no guarantee it works out badly and that the contract is an albatross by 2023. Of course it could happen that way, but it's not a given.

I wouldn't call it speculating, I'd call it playing the odds. Players age differently, but it's probably not a good idea to expect someone to defy age and the mounds of data that suggest that he will regress, probably fairly significantly, over the next few seasons.

He will probably be overpaid in year three of a contract, but he may still be the Brewers' best option for third base. They just wouldn't have the extra money to go out and get another player until his contract would be up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Purely my own speculation, but I believe that if the Dodgers truly wanted him, he'd be a Dodger by now.

I’ve thought this too. I think they want to move on from him and he was waiting it out to see if they changed their mind. At this point, I expect him to sign the next couple days with Spring Training around the corner and I don’t see it being with the Dodgers.

Purely my own speculation, but I believe that if the Dodgers truly wanted him, he'd be a Dodger by now.

Completely agree with this take.

This isn't the Brewers and Braun, where he is contemplating retirement. Turner obviously wants to play. There is no reason to think the Dodgers couldn't just sign him unless he is their backup plan e.g. Kris Bryant or Jose Ramirez trade.

I realize that continuing to bring up Cruz comes with a mountain sized grain of salt, but he had one of his best, if not THE best, season of his career at age 38. A 3 year deal would take Turner through age 38. There's always reason for concern with advanced age but there's a chance he could be pretty good for 2 if not all 3 of a hypothetical 3 year contract. Again I go to his plate discipline and understanding of the strike zone to find a reason for optimism there.

Ryan Braun hasn't had a comparable season to Turner since his age 32 season in 2016 and the Brewers paid him $80 million over the 4 years since then and people here still want him back.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I realize that continuing to bring up Cruz comes with a mountain sized grain of salt, but he had one of his best, if not THE best, season of his career at age 38. A 3 year deal would take Turner through age 38. There's always reason for concern with advanced age but there's a chance he could be pretty good for 2 if not all 3 of a hypothetical 3 year contract. Again I go to his plate discipline and understanding of the strike zone to find a reason for optimism there.

Ryan Braun hasn't had a comparable season to Turner since his age 32 season in 2016 and the Brewers paid him $80 million over the 4 years since then and people here still want him back.

Agreed. While it might be a little risky for a team like the Brewers to sign Turner for 3 years, I think it’s a risk they need to take given the current state of the team and the farm system. As someone stated earlier, if Turner was 30 years old, the Brewers couldn’t afford him... so you have to accept some risk at this point. Could it backfire in 2 years? Possibly, but with fans back in the stands at some point (hopefully) and higher revenue, it’s not likely to hurt the Brewers all that much compared to other potential deals. I’m not really sure what better alternative they would have going forward.

Another potential suitor for Turner, the Mets, are re-kindling talks with the Cubs about Kris Bryant according to Andy Martino of SNY

And they did just sign Villar, so is it possible that they have moved on and now it's between the Brewers and Dodgers?

Another potential suitor for Turner, the Mets, are re-kindling talks with the Cubs about Kris Bryant according to Andy Martino of SNY

And they did just sign Villar, so is it possible that they have moved on and now it's between the Brewers and Dodgers?

I wouldn't think Villar would have anything to do with Justin Turner. Kris Bryant sure would though.

I wouldn't think Villar would have anything to do with Justin Turner. Kris Bryant sure would though.

For some reason, I thought he had way more games at 3B but he'll probably be used as SS and 2B depth. I was wrong.

Archived