Brewer Fanatic

Justin Turner

PDCBalla

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers are one of the "mystery teams" among Justin Turner's final four options according to Jon Heyman:

The Brewers are one of two mystery teams showing interest in Justin Turner. Dodgers, Jays and one more mystery contender are in the derby. Turner will only consider contenders but has a final 4.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Even if none of these ultimately come to fruition, it's nice to be "in the conversation". At least we know they are trying. If the Brewers are in Turner's final 4, it likely means they've made him a competitive offer.

Aside from Yelich's extension, things are becoming more interesting than last year for sure.

So to recap the current Turner suitors being reported:

Dodgers

Blue Jays

Brewers

Mystery Team

My guess for the other mystery team would be the Braves. They've seemed a little hesitant to turn the full-time 3B role over to Austin Riley.

So to recap the current Turner suitors being reported:

Dodgers

Blue Jays

Brewers

Mystery Team

My guess for the other mystery team would be the Braves. They've seemed a little hesitant to turn the full-time 3B role over to Austin Riley.

The unfortunate thing is that we know we'd have to overpay to get JT, if we are competing with three other teams for his services. I'd love to get him on a 1 year deal, but it feels pretty unlikely that would get it done.

Even if none of these ultimately come to fruition, it's nice to be "in the conversation". At least we know they are trying. If the Brewers are in Turner's final 4, it likely means they've made him a competitive offer.

I agree that being in the conversation is a positive sign. I also remain a little cautious about what exactly it means since it was speculated that the Brewers were in the Darvish bidding during his previous free agency, but reports following his signing indicated the Brewers weren't at all close to the dollar figure and years the Cubs ultimately handed Darvish.

I think we've known they're trying. We just haven't had any sense of what they were trying. And I think that's what's had many folks so frustrated.

Brewers scoops have hardly leaked this year, whereas in the past there have been more "the Brewers are checking in on ____ ...." morsels floating out there for us to chew on.

Of course nothing's guaranteed to come of this, but overall I find this & the Semien scoop quite encouraging. I'm not sure who the ideal options would be, but we could do a whole lot worse than Justin Turner and at least for the pessimists out there it's now "known" that Stearns isn't presently in the mode of dredging for leftovers at the bottom of the dumpster.

I think they know they HAVE to get a bat at at least one of the corner IF positions. Turner fits the bill on a short term deal only. If he's willing to play a 1 or 2 year deal, MA might be willing to pay out a bit, the rub will come if he will only accept a 3 or 4 year deal. At that point, we SHOULD be out of it.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think we've known they're trying. We just haven't had any sense of what they were trying. And I think that's what's had many folks so frustrated.

Brewers scoops have hardly leaked this year, whereas in the past there have been more "the Brewers are checking in on ____ ...." morsels floating out there for us to chew on.

Of course nothing's guaranteed to come of this, but overall I find this & the Semien scoop quite encouraging. I'm not sure who the ideal options would be, but we could do a whole lot worse than Justin Turner and at least for the pessimists out there it's now "known" that Stearns isn't presently in the mode of dredging for leftovers at the bottom of the dumpster.

And we know now that Mark A has been brought in to talk to at least one free agent, so it seems pretty clear that DS has been actively trying to work his magic to bring in a relatively big F/A or two. I doubt he gets Mark A involved if it's not at least a pretty big name that we are trying to lure. My guess is that Mark met with either Semien or Turner (or both) in recent weeks.

Turner and Semien would be fantastic additions for 2021.

No way we get both of these guys, right?? Just can't imagine that would happen, but I guess we can dream. If we did get both, then I'm guessing we'd try to trade Arcia. We'd still need to find a 1B on top of those moves.

Imagine getting both, then trading Hader for some other pieces, a 1B or maybe a starting pitcher?

Man, it takes only rumors to get me thinking differently...lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Turner and Semien would be fantastic additions for 2021.

No way we get both of these guys, right?? Just can't imagine that would happen, but I guess we can dream. If we did get both, then I'm guessing we'd try to trade Arcia. We'd still need to find a 1B on top of those moves.

Only Mark A. can answer for sure, obviously, but it's probably 'either or', and I'm ok with either. Both would make us legit contenders again.

I expect he'll remain a Dodger, but Turner would be a huge addition to our team. He's turned 36 in November, so my guess is that the Brewers are in the discussion for one of two reasons. Either they are the only team willing to give him an extra year on a contract, or they are being used as leverage so he can get more from the Dodgers.

One positive is that if the Blue Jays were one of the four remaining suitors, I'd guess that they're out now that they signed Semian. Their infield should be pretty well set.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I see 2/24 projected to Dodgers. So Brewers could toss say a 2yr with option deal. Say 10/12 3mil buyout or 12option. Maybe you convince him on a 1/11 with mutual option of 12mil or 3mil buyout. Try selling him on a 1yr "prove it" on what is looking like a weak Central with MP to hit HRs in. A big season by him with a better post covid market and he can take the 3mil and test it. A hitter like him should be licking his chops to play over half his season at MP and over half this season's opponents 60-70s win teams.

In what world is a 36 year old opting for a “prove it” deal and what does Justin Turner have to prove? If they expect to get him from the Dodgers they are going to need to offer quite a bit more money...likely in the form of an extra year.

Archived