Brewer Fanatic

The Two Most Memorable, Consecutive Years in Brewers History

rickh150

Remembering last few postseason runs recently.... got me thinking about the best years of the franchise.... specifically the most memorable two year stretch in team history.

Although the last three years put us in postseason play, I don’t think any combo of 18-19 or 19-20 would be my pick. The 20 season had no fans; the 19 season ended so achingly bad. The right answer is probably 81-82, but I was too young to remember much of any of it. Years 08, 11, and 18 were pretty great, but the years previous or after not as much.

I’ll go with 07 and 08. Even though these two years resulted in no playoff series wins, one playoff game win, and only one of those teams making the playoffs, it was probably the most memorable for me....

1. Miller Park was hopping.... around 3 million fans each year... so many sellouts. The idea that the team was getting better with all the young talent of Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Yovanni, Braun... yeah, baseball was fun and hip. We all felt something good was coming, and then the idea of playoff baseball in Milwaukee was equivalent to the Packers making the Super Bowl!

2. Even though 07 ended poorly, it was a tight race with the Cubs til the end. Every game was so important.

3. Then to have the Brewers beating the Cubs in 08 to make their first playoffs in 26 years on the last day of season.... special stuff with CC, Uke’s call of Braun’s HR, and the whole crazy week of games leading up to it. Braun and Fielder walk offs, Seth McClung, Wes Helms... yep.

Curious what others think.... other years are better no question, but for me these two consecutive years were the most memorable.

For those of us who weren't alive in '81 or '82, '07 was a particularly agonizing collapse. I might honestly argue '17, '18 just because of how unexpected '17 was, they were supposed to be in the middle of a long rebuild and instead they nearly win the division. I don't think I ever could feel happier about a team that finished one game short of the post season.

Maybe 78/79? The '78 season was the first successful season for the expansion team and was unexpected. The '79 team with Hisle and the rest won 95 and I consider one of the best until 2011.

Hisle was hurt in 79, only played in 26 games. After his 34 HR, 115 RBI season in 78, he taught me a valuable lesson that we can't have nice things. The next four seasons combined he played in 80 games total with 15 HR and 46 RBI.

Archived