Brewer Fanatic

RIP Hank Aaron

dlk9s

Why am I not seeing this reported anywhere else?

I'm not saying it's false, but something with this magnitude you would expect to be on MLB.com, ESPN.com, etc.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Very sad news today. Hammerin' Hank has passed away at age 86.

A strong case to be made that he was the greatest athlete to ever play in Milwaukee ... in any sport. The real Home Run King. 1957 World Series champ where he batted .393 with 3 bombs.

And above all a class act.

To quote The Sandlot: Heroes fade away... but legends never die.

Hank was a legend.

Why am I not seeing this reported anywhere else?

I'm not saying it's false, but something with this magnitude you would expect to be on MLB.com, ESPN.com, etc.

Because it just broke from a local news outlet and it's all over twitter - prominent twitter accounts too. Story originated from a family friend and confirmed by one of his daughters.

Hammerin' Hank is one of baseball's all time greats, not only on the field but also off it. The fact he played most of his career in Milwaukee makes this loss hit that much closer to home. RIP.

Very Sad! Just saw him on the news with the last week or so getting his COVID vaccine shot.

Edit: Sorry - just realized that may have come across as an anti-vax comment. Was not intended that way at all and not trying to stir up any discussion in that direction.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

That we all knew this day would (someday) come doesn't really make it hurt less.

I've changed into my stadium giveaway Aaron shirsey, despite it being (checks weather) 9 degrees outside in Madison.

Rest in power, Henry. Milwaukee was lucky to have you.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Very sad indeed. He was my Dad's favorite player and some of my earliest memories were him working in the evening in his bedroom and trying to pick up WSB on the radio to listen to the Braves. And this from someone who hated the Braves for leaving Milwaukee but still loved Henry Aaron.

My first memory of Brewers baseball was going to County Stadium to see the home run king Hank Aaron..

He will always be the REAL HR King!

Some of the best memories I'll ever have is riding the bus to see Hamerin Hank, Spahnie, Burdette, Mathews, et all at the old County Stadium. The world lost a a legend and a great man. RIP Hank.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

First game I ever went to was back in 1975 or 76. Sat out in left field bleachers and Aaron came up to the wall - signed some baseballs and pitched them into the stands. Man, that would have been cool to have caught one of those.

I still remember him hitting his 715th HR. Back then cable was pretty slim, but there was TBS (or whatever it was called then), and they carried the Braves. My brother was watching the game and said, "Hank Aaron's up," and so I walked into the room - and boom - history. It was pretty cool. I still remember it even though I was only 10 years old at the time.

Amazing baseball player. His longevity was incredible. He hit .301 and 40 HR at the age of 39. Guys just don't do that without PEDs.

The first time I saw Aaron play was the first baseball game I ever attended. Thanks to the miracle of the internet and the great Baseball Refence site, decades later I traced the date to June 27, 1958, a Friday night. I was 2 and a half months short of my 6th birthday. I still remember my family had seats in the upper deck on the first base side. Aaron homered in that game off none other than Sandy Koufax himself. It was number 122 of his career. Unfortunately the Braves lost 3-1 despite a nice effort by a young Joey Jay who went 7 strong innings allowing 1 earned run. Koufax in those days was maddingly inconsistent but that night he showed a glimpse of what he would become about 3 years later, going the distance and fanning 8.

It wasn't the last time, but the last game I remember seeing him play was 18 years later on a hot Sunday afternoon, July 11, 1976 which a scheduled doubleheader that was the final games leading up to that year's All Star break.. I remember it being hot (according to B-R, the game time temp was 94). The Brewers had rallied to win the first of the doubleheader that afternoon 6-3 with a 5 run 7th inning off of Bert Blyleven. My sister and I stuck around for the entire game 2, a game which Aaron was in the lineup as DH. Down 4-2, the Brewers rallied in the bottom of the 9th tying the game on another future HOFer Robin Yount's single. Tired and hot after 6 hours of baseball, we debated leaving but decided to stay one more inning since Aaron was due up 2nd in the 10th. After Scott made an out, Aaron lifted a deep fly over the left field wall to win the game for the Brewers and send what was left of 28.149 fans into delirium. We knew completely that we had just seen something historic. Aaron went into the clubhouse, but we stood and cheered what seemed like an eternity till he popped his head out of the dugout and took a bow. It was HR number 754. It was only mid July so no we didn't figure it was his last. That came about 10 days later, but our guts told us this was the last dramatic one he'd hit and we were there. That's a special memory and perhaps my favorite moment of a lifetime of watching baseball. Aaron even mentioned it in his book "I had a Hammer" as one of the most meaningful and memorable he'd ever hit.

I saw Hank play many times first when I was a young kid going with my parents to see the Braves, then when the dream came true and he came back to play in Milwaukee when I was a young man.

It's a sad day, but one to reflect on a great player, great man and one who represented Milwaukee baseball magnificently.

One of the larger than life figures for Milwaukee fans (and Atlanta fans, and baseball fans). I was far too young to see him play. My first experience was in the mid-90's. I went to a baseball card show, and my dad saw an old Hank Aaron card. He decided to buy it for me, while telling me all about why Aaron was important so I would value that card. A short time later, I found an address with TBS online where you could supposedly send fan mail. I decided to write him a letter, and printed his photo off of the Encarta encyclopedia article and ask if he would sign it.

Both items sitting in my office today. Literally the only baseball card I still own:

YDP2QnG.jpg

I’m in my early 50s. One of my early baseball memories was the 1975 all star game at County Stadium. I saw it on TV but I remember George Scott but also Hank playing.

As widely discussed, Hank’s consistency was staggering. And he had a great hit tool for a guy with pop. Tremendous ball player and a gentleman.

When he broke the record, I love the clip of his parents, so dignified in their Sunday’s best, so insanely proud of their son. As a parent, that must be the most amazing feeling. And for what they had seen being from the South in that era, that’s great that they experienced their son’s career and it’s culmination.

I saw an article that the Braves should rename themselves as the Hammers. That would be so cool. You’d think “Braves” is a compliment but who knows these days. Either way, the Hammers would be cool IMO.

RIP Hank. Maybe Gibby, Seaver, or Sutton can throw you batting practice now.

I’m in my early 50s. One of my early baseball memories was the 1975 all star game at County Stadium. I saw it on TV but I remember George Scott but also Hank playing.

As widely discussed, Hank’s consistency was staggering. And he had a great hit tool for a guy with pop. Tremendous ball player and a gentleman.

When he broke the record, I love the clip of his parents, so dignified in their Sunday’s best, so insanely proud of their son. As a parent, that must be the most amazing feeling. And for what they had seen being from the South in that era, that’s great that they experienced their son’s career and it’s culmination.

I saw an article that the Braves should rename themselves as the Hammers. That would be so cool. You’d think “Braves” is a compliment but who knows these days. Either way, the Hammers would be cool IMO.

Is that the article that said Cleveland should rename themselves the "Fellers"?

No but Fellers sounds stupid to me. I think Hammers is cool for a baseball team. I guess it’s personal preference. Personally I like it.

It wasn't the last time, but the last game I remember seeing him play was 18 years later on a hot Sunday afternoon, July 11, 1976 which a scheduled doubleheader that was the final games leading up to that year's All Star break.. I remember it being hot (according to B-R, the game time temp was 94). The Brewers had rallied to win the first of the doubleheader that afternoon 6-3 with a 5 run 7th inning off of Bert Blyleven. My sister and I stuck around for the entire game 2, a game which Aaron was in the lineup as DH. Down 4-2, the Brewers rallied in the bottom of the 9th tying the game on another future HOFer Robin Yount's single. Tired and hot after 6 hours of baseball, we debated leaving but decided to stay one more inning since Aaron was due up 2nd in the 10th. After Scott made an out, Aaron lifted a deep fly over the left field wall to win the game for the Brewers and send what was left of 28.149 fans into delirium. We knew completely that we had just seen something historic. Aaron went into the clubhouse, but we stood and cheered what seemed like an eternity till he popped his head out of the dugout and took a bow. It was HR number 754. It was only mid July so no we didn't figure it was his last. That came about 10 days later, but our guts told us this was the last dramatic one he'd hit and we were there. That's a special memory and perhaps my favorite moment of a lifetime of watching baseball. Aaron even mentioned it in his book "I had a Hammer" as one of the most meaningful and memorable he'd ever hit.

That was my first Brewer game(s) ever. (I did get to go to the 75 all-star game but I don't remember that one too much other than getting some baseball cards my dad gave me.) That doubleheader game though was what made me fall in love with Baseball.. I saw the man my dad said was the greatest Baseball player ever hit a game winning home run. I had beer spilled on me.. People jumping up and down screaming, hugging and high-fiving.. it was just magical!! Who wouldn't love Baseball after seeing that? At that moment, there was no racism, no hate, just happiness that Baseball provided.. it's what it should be.. Rip Hank Aaron.. a truly great Legend in all aspects..

to do everything that he did in his career and post-career, all the while being subjected to the vileness of white supremacists. he was a profile of courage and strength. the world needs more hanks.

The letter he wrote to Don Newcombe was incredible.

To become the player and the man he became while growing up in those conditions is amazing. And his story about him telling his Dad telling him how black people couldn't be pilots or Professional Baseball players...the stuff he overcame was just awesome.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I still remember him hitting his 715th HR. Back then cable was pretty slim, but there was TBS (or whatever it was called then), and they carried the Braves. My brother was watching the game and said, "Hank Aaron's up," and so I walked into the room - and boom - history. It was pretty cool. I still remember it even though I was only 10 years old at the time.

Pretty sure that was ABC's "Monday Night Baseball".

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

No but Fellers sounds stupid to me. I think Hammers is cool for a baseball team. I guess it’s personal preference. Personally I like it.

What about Little Fellers?

tta3ut3.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I still think that when the Braves re-brand that they should still remain the Braves, but drop the Native American reference and replace it with an American Soldier (similar to the Patriots). I doubt that this will happen, but that would allow the team name to remain and still have meaning.

Archived