Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

Madbum looks like a disastrous contract. Thank God we didn't get anywhere near that.

As was predicted by pretty much everyone. He was toast well before he even hit free agency.

There were some on here screeching about the Brewers not signing him and the world ending because of it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of moving the mound back a foot because reaction time for hitters has shrunk considerably in the last 50 years and would continue to do so.. I don't buy the injury argument. Pitchers are much bigger and stronger than they were when the mound was set at 60 feet 6 inches. Do kids hurt there arms when the distance increases as they get older and transition to a full distance? A foot longer will result in more balls put into play and fewer pitches needed to get outs. Besides the extra foot allows hitters just a fraction of more time to get out of the way of pitches headed at them.

The impact to moving back 1 foot may have more of a negative impact than some may think. Adding another foot makes it harder for the pitcher to be accurate in the strike zone. If they move the mound back by a foot robot umps better be coming also for calling balls and strikes.

Ah sweet justice. The Rolling Stones were wrong, I do get satisfaction from this.

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

Cubs reliever Ryan Tepera suspended 3g and fined for intentionally throwing at Brandon Woodruff on Tuesday. The suspension was to begin Friday, but Tepera has exercised his right to appeal, MLB says.

Cubs manager David Ross suspended one game and fined. He’ll be out Friday.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I just wonder on breaking pitches with an extra foot of movement. In the spin-rate craze era we're currently in, how much crazier will movement appear on pitches? How about difficulties locating within the strike zone? FBs i don't worry so much about as they're not moving so much and the idea to increase the split second for hitter should get results you want. Just again are breaking pitches the adjustment period has to be rather tough on pitchers. Are sinkers and curveballs now bouncing short of the plate? Do sliders become passes balls moving beyond a catchers reach?

Say you go to robo umps, do you just remove catcher and ump from the game entirely? Have a netting to collect the balls? To compensate catchers possibly not being able to catch certain breaking pitches with the added space for movement?

Just wonder how late break in pitches given an added foot looks like considering what we see now from our guys pitching.

Ah sweet justice. The Rolling Stones were wrong, I do get satisfaction from this.

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

Cubs reliever Ryan Tepera suspended 3g and fined for intentionally throwing at Brandon Woodruff on Tuesday. The suspension was to begin Friday, but Tepera has exercised his right to appeal, MLB says.

Wilson basically threw Tempera and Ross under the bus which is fine with me. I wonder if the suspensions still happen if Wilson doesn't admit intent after the game.

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

Wilson basically threw Tempera and Ross under the bus which is fine with me. I wonder if the suspensions still happen if Wilson doesn't admit intent after the game.

No, only way anyone was getting suspended was if they admitted it. They aren’t suspending people without concrete proof they were throwing at someone.

I just wonder on breaking pitches with an extra foot of movement. In the spin-rate craze era we're currently in, how much crazier will movement appear on pitches? How about difficulties locating within the strike zone? FBs i don't worry so much about as they're not moving so much and the idea to increase the split second for hitter should get results you want. Just again are breaking pitches the adjustment period has to be rather tough on pitchers. Are sinkers and curveballs now bouncing short of the plate? Do sliders become passes balls moving beyond a catchers reach?

Say you go to robo umps, do you just remove catcher and ump from the game entirely? Have a netting to collect the balls? To compensate catchers possibly not being able to catch certain breaking pitches with the added space for movement?

Just wonder how late break in pitches given an added foot looks like considering what we see now from our guys pitching.

What happens with breaking balls will be interesting. My own uneducated opinion is that breaking balls will have more movement and be tougher to hit, thereby negating any gains for the hitter having more time to react to the fastball. Catchers will always be there. Pitchers need a target.

No, only way anyone was getting suspended was if they admitted it. They aren’t suspending people without concrete proof they were throwing at someone.

Yep, Contreras' comment caused this. Tepera's suspension should get reduced on appeal. Put into a crummy spot by Contreras - cries about getting hit when he's so on top of the plate he barely checked the swing, calls the throw at Woodruff instead of a position player, admits to the throw when shutting up about it avoids the punishment.

It's weird that he just straight up admitted it. That's kind of faux pas to do that to your club. Either he genuinely felt pretty bad about trying to hit the pitcher or he just isn't that bright of a crayon and kind of spit it out without realizing he was confessing under oath.

Extra fun things in the fallout from the Cubs suspension announcement:

1) Cubs fans on Twitter can't believe no Brewers are being suspended for unintentionally hitting Contreras with pitches multiple times.

2) Some Cubs fans aren't convinced that the Brewers weren't hitting Contreras unintentionally anyway.

3) Those same fans also aren't convinced that simply throwing at Woodruff justifies discipline since they didn't actually succeed in hitting him.

4) Proving not only Cubs fans are dumb, some Brewers fans on Twitter can't believe Contreras wasn't punished too.

Do fans even know how baseball works?

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Yep, Contreras' comment caused this. Tepera's suspension should get reduced on appeal. Put into a crummy spot by Contreras - cries about getting hit when he's so on top of the plate he barely checked the swing, calls the throw at Woodruff instead of a position player, admits to the throw when shutting up about it avoids the punishment.

Tepera is probably sending him an invoice for being such an idiot and opening up his mouth.

It's weird that he just straight up admitted it. That's kind of faux pas to do that to your club. Either he genuinely felt pretty bad about trying to hit the pitcher or he just isn't that bright of a crayon and kind of spit it out without realizing he was confessing under oath.

Everyone on this board knows it isn't option a. And option b makes all the sense in the world...

Extra fun things in the fallout from the Cubs suspension announcement:

1) Cubs fans on Twitter can't believe no Brewers are being suspended for unintentionally hitting Contreras with pitches multiple times.

2) Some Cubs fans aren't convinced that the Brewers weren't hitting Contreras unintentionally anyway.

3) Those same fans also aren't convinced that simply throwing at Woodruff justifies discipline since they didn't actually succeed in hitting him.

4) Proving not only Cubs fans are dumb, some Brewers fans on Twitter can't believe Contreras wasn't punished too.

Do fans even know how baseball works?

I was laughing at reading everyone saying the Brewers, and Counsell specifically, are dirty and do this all the time. Apparently they never come here to read how often we complain that the Brewers never retaliate despite getting walked over by Molina and the Cards year after year.

After the ridiculous pitch behind Woodruff, I dogged Manfred and MLB on the next game’s in game thread because I didn’t think they’d actually suspend anyone. I was wrong. Well-done MLB!

I think keep your congratuations to a minimum. You weren't going to be wrong until Contreras admits to it in postgame media.

Dodgers / Padres may be the most interesting and intense rivalry in baseball right now.

What a game going on! And probably will be ruined by stupid extra inning rule.

I love the extra inning rule!

Dodgers / Padres may be the most interesting and intense rivalry in baseball right now.

What a game going on! And probably will be ruined by stupid extra inning rule.

I love the extra inning rule!

I agree. I think the extra inning rule is exciting.

With so many games being called off due to COVID outbreaks, I have to wonder if these guys are being vaccinated or not...

I would think that those who wanted the shot would have gotten it by now.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hendricks gives up 4 HR and 6 runs to the Braves in the first inning.

He’s tuning up for his 2 hit complete game shutout against the Brewers on Saturday.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Anyone see that the Braves used 36 year old middle infielder Sean Kazmar Jr. to pinch hit yesterday. He had last appeared in a major league game on Sept. 23, 2008. Amazingly, in the interim years he spent time in just 3 organizations, all in the high minors including the Braves since 2013.

To give you an idea of how long ago that was, the Brewer starting lineup that day was Cameron in CF, Ray Durham at 2B, Braun in LF, Fielder at 1B, Hardy at SS, Corey Hart in RF, Craig Counsell at 3B, Jason Kendall catching and Dave Bush on the mound. Other pitchers used by the Brewers that day were Eric Gagne, Todd Coffey, Guillermo Mota, and Salomon Torres.