Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
A balmy 33 degrees for the first pitch of the Sox Twins game. Thank goodness for the AmFam roof.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

You could easily slide that article in the optimism thread too.

That's where I originally had it. I don't know what changed my mind.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Joe West just won a defamation suit against Paul Lo Duca. Normally I'd look at this as a he said she said thing but when the court agrees it was a lie and West can prove the story couldn't have happened like he said it's pretty safe to say it was a lie

Why would anyone lie about something like that?

https://sports.yahoo.com/umpire-joe-west-awarded-500-234254066.html

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Atlantic League to move the pitching mound back by 1 foot and will implement the "double hook" rule.

https://theathletic.com/2518208/2021/04/14/moving-the-mound-the-double-hook-what-mlb-and-the-atlantic-league-are-trying-out-next?source=user-shared-article

I like the double hook rule as it ties the DH to the starting pitcher which brings in some strategy.

Not sure on how I feel about the mound moving back.

The Atlantic League to move the pitching mound back by 1 foot and will implement the "double hook" rule.

https://theathletic.com/2518208/2021/04/14/moving-the-mound-the-double-hook-what-mlb-and-the-atlantic-league-are-trying-out-next?source=user-shared-article

I like the double hook rule as it ties the DH to the starting pitcher which brings in some strategy.

Wait until the injuries start to mount because of the mound being further away.

These guys have spent years with the same distance, that foot will put unusual stress on the arm for sure.

With the delicacy of today's pitchers, you can count on a bunch of injuries.

Because they are testing the idea. See how it works out in live action games to get data points. If it works, this is another option to use elsewhere. If not, scrap it and stick only with mound height.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Pitches are based so much on finely tuned location I'm curious how much effect that 1 foot might have on placing pitches in the strike zone rather than just giving the batter 1 extra foot to time a fastball. It will effect locating breaking balls just as much if not more. Is it that easy for a pitcher to adjust to that?
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Community Moderator
I just love the experimentation, we all know that the rules haven't kept up with the analytics revolution and the product has suffered. Best way to improve the game is to test things out before trying it at the MLB level.

Pitches are based so much on finely tuned location I'm curious how much effect that 1 foot might have on placing pitches in the strike zone rather than just giving the batter 1 extra foot to time a fastball. It will effect locating breaking balls just as much if not more. Is it that easy for a pitcher to adjust to that?

If this ever becomes a rule in MLB I would assume the PA would negotiate a gradual implementation.

My concern is injury. Will this change pitcher mechanics having to throw an extra foot? I mean, sure, it isn't a huge change, but that is where my thought process comes from.

Don't think it really changes anything other than giving hitters an extra split second to react to the pitch.

Double hook rule is fantastic. I disagree that it will lead to pitchers staying in games longer, and hope they don't abandon it if that's the intention and doesn't materialize. The use of benches is the big thing. AL teams use 0-2 pinch hitters per game, where NL teams are often down to their backup catcher by the end. Perfect way to get the DH into the NL permanently, and even manage to save the double switch.

For those of us who dont have an Athletic account and dont know what the double-hook rule is, see this link

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/04/mlb-move-mound-back-double-hook-dh-atlantic-league.html

I agree with this and it would make it easier for the NL to adopt the DH but still keep the manager strategery that we like in the later innings.