Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

I believe Schildt replaced Matheny midseason and either took them to the postseason or almost did and then he was officially hired. They may have felt at the time that they had to hire him because the team turned around even though they really didn't want to. They had an improbable 17 game win streak that got them a wild card this year otherwise they were pretty much dead all year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cardinals down the stretch were relentlessly aggressive at taking extra bases and putting pressure on the opposing pitcher. It was exciting baseball, except the part about them being the Cardinals & the division not being entirely wrapped up.

Was there an issue with pitching / bullpen use, or is the problem all the months it took before their run to the WC game? Happy to say I don’t get this move.

Yea I was surprised by it as well. He seemed to fit right in line with the cardinal way. Gets me thinking though, Yadi retires after 2022. How long until he's manager for them? Maybe a year or two off then comes in as a coach of some kind then manager within 6 years?

I am never one for reading more into something that what it appears, but reading this:

Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak cited "philosophical differences" to explain Shildt's dismissal. He declined to expand on those differences, saying the move was "something that popped up recently."

Makes me think that the "philosophical differences" weren't about on-field play, particularly because it "popped up recently."

The only two things I can think of right now are him not wanting to play certain players that the front office wanted him to play or something anti-vax related.

A good friend of mine is a Cardinals fan (I DO hold that against him, but we're still friends) and he was calling for a change of manager. He cited issues with giving too many opportunities to Carpenter, Reyes, Dejong and Martinez to underperform, poor pre-game and in-game planning. I guess I just hope whoever they hire next is even worse.

Another unlikeable Cardinal figurehead sent packing. I wonder what glorious unlikeable figurehead they will place atop their pedestal this go-around.

Who's on the short list?

Maybe they have a deal to bring LaRussa back.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I don't know how to embed a tweet. Jeff Jones tweeted:

"Listening to Mozeliak on the Zoom and from my own reporting being around the club as much as I have, I would be very surprised if Stubby Clapp wasn’t the leading candidate to take over as #stlcards manager."

Stubby? Clapp?

Just checked out his bio. Cardinal through and through. 11 years in the organization as a player, and has been a AAA manager and first-base coach with the major league team.

I think Stubby Clapp was the third baseman for the Rockford Trainmen from 1902 to 1908. He got his nickname after he survived a tragic accident at the lye factory in the offseason which left him with two fingers on his right hand and just a thumb on his left. He still hit .317 with one homer the following season, though. The nickname "Three Finger," the obvious choice, was already taken.

I think Stubby Clapp was the third baseman for the Rockford Trainmen from 1902 to 1908. He got his nickname after he survived a tragic accident at the lye factory in the offseason which left him with two fingers on his right hand and just a thumb on his left. He still hit .317 with one homer the following season, though. The nickname "Three Finger," the obvious choice, was already taken.

Sounds like Uecker's grandfather.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/details-on-the-cardinals-firing-of-mike-shildt.html

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch adds another possible factor to the list, perhaps based around how “The Cardinal Way” has long been a backbone of the organization’s practices. “Internally, there had been concern about the absence and ongoing leak of Cardinals-rooted presences,” Goold writes, with some internal dismay over what one source described as “losing tradition” to other clubs.

What. The heck. Does this even mean.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/10/details-on-the-cardinals-firing-of-mike-shildt.html

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch adds another possible factor to the list, perhaps based around how “The Cardinal Way” has long been a backbone of the organization’s practices. “Internally, there had been concern about the absence and ongoing leak of Cardinals-rooted presences,” Goold writes, with some internal dismay over what one source described as “losing tradition” to other clubs.

It means that Schildt doesn't have enough testosterone and old-school baseball tough guy in his veins for the Cardinals. Chris Carpenter could probably explain it better than I could.

This. This is why the Cardinals are a detestable organization.

It means that Schildt doesn't have enough testosterone and old-school baseball tough guy in his veins for the Cardinals. Chris Carpenter could probably explain it better than I could.

This. This is why the Cardinals are a detestable organization.

But not to his kids.