Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

They won't because the MLBPA is not going to allow such a ridiculous suspension.

EDIT: I finally saw the video of him picking up the card. What a douchebag. He clearly knew it wasn't his and blatantly handed it off to a coach. Well well deserved beaning.

He did not have a coordinated system to use cameras and trash cans/buzzers to decrypt information and pass it to the batter. There was a piece of paper laying on the ground that he picked up. Not worth a beaning even though he knew what it was when he picked it up.

Doesn't it still seem bizarre that from 1998 through 2012 every division had 5 teams, except the NL Central had 6 and the AL West had 4 and that's just the way it was?

Blame the five AL owners who blocked the Diamondbacks from joining the AL. They were worried about the later start times costing them TV revenue. The owners liked the idea of a Florida team to play inter-division a bunch of times so the Rays were approved to the AL. These two moves would leave 15 in the NL and 15 in the AL. Since interleague was rare back then it would not have worked scheduling. The Royals declined to join the NL so the Brewers went. For the same reasons as the AL East teams there were no NL Central teams that wanted to join the NL West.

Maybe all of this should have been considerations on whether to award a franchise?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't because the MLBPA is not going to allow such a ridiculous suspension.

EDIT: I finally saw the video of him picking up the card. What a douchebag. He clearly knew it wasn't his and blatantly handed it off to a coach. Well well deserved beaning.

Yup bad move and poorly executed too. If he wanted their info he should have kept it in his pocket, taken some quick pictures in the clubhouse and put it back in his pocket. Then pulled it out on the field later and acted surprised before giving it back.

Although again, it was a bad move and he shouldn’t have picked it up to begin with.

Kiermaier said at the moment he picked it up he thought it was his own card. Even if it wasn't, that is not the kind of stuff you throw at someone for. Just idiotic. MLB could honestly put an end to this kind of idiocy by handing out 30 - 60 game suspensions for this kind of stuff, but they won't because "baseball".

In order to hand out that kind of suspension, they better be damn sure the guy was 100% throwing at someone.

I don't think they can ever know this for certain outside an admittance by the pitcher...

You want this to end, you punish the team. MLBPA won't allow huge suspensions for players but MLB can ban managers for multiple games instead of the 1 game slap they normally get. Make it 10 days with zero contact with the team. Start taking away draft picks for repeat offenders. This would be solved tomorrow.

How often do teams even throw at each other on purpose anymore?

Not like there is a stat out there, or even a way to know if it ever happens anymore for that matter...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brandon Belt has a fractured left thumb.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

La Russa's teams doing more La Russa stuff. Jose Abreu got hit on an 0-2 pitch and then gave a late and hard slide into second on a wild pitch and then proceeded to jaw with the 2B resulting in the benches clearing. La Russa said stupid stuff after the game about how they don't play dirty and blah, blah, blah.

La Russa's teams doing more La Russa stuff. Jose Abreu got hit on an 0-2 pitch and then gave a late and hard slide into second on a wild pitch and then proceeded to jaw with the 2B resulting in the benches clearing. La Russa said stupid stuff after the game about how they don't play dirty and blah, blah, blah.

I mean, they threw at Ohtani this year. Like, I'm sure some midlevel staffer at the MLB office had a nervous breakdown about it and everything--this is MLB trying to create this image for itself of finally being fun and youthful and La Russa charges in like a big old triceratops and smashes up the place. The problem is, Manfred probably thinks the pitch clock will solve the issue, so...

The Tampa Bay Montreal Rays?

https://theathletic.com/2853967/2021/09/28/rays-plan-to-split-time-between-montreal-florida-still-draws-skepticism-two-years-on-drellich?source=user-shared-article

If you don't have an Athletic subscription, there is a plan to have the Rays play half their home games in Tampa Bay and half in Montreal.

The Rays are planning on introducing the logo for this during the playoffs.

Community Moderator

https://theathletic.com/2853967/2021/09/28/rays-plan-to-split-time-between-montreal-florida-still-draws-skepticism-two-years-on-drellich?source=user-shared-article

If you don't have an Athletic subscription, there is a plan to have the Rays play half their home games in Tampa Bay and half in Montreal.

I get that this is going to happen in some form or another, but what an insult to the fans in Tampa to debut this during the playoffs, and slap the logo where everyone can see it at the games.

Also...what problem does this solve exactly? If there's one stadium that's worse than the Trop it's Stade Olympique. Who would fund a stadium for a part-time baseball team?

I get that there are a LOT of baseball fans in Canada so it makes sense to get another team there, but just make them the Expos, build a cheaper outdoor stadium in Montreal, and play some games in Florida in April/September. Don't try this "two cities" BS that alienates both fan bases. Everyone in Montreal cheers for the Blue Jays now, I doubt a half-team is going to change their allegiance, especially since the Rays are their RIVAL right now.

Yea if Tampa won't build a new stadium in a good location they should look for a long term solution, not a half one like this. If they were shrewd they'd come up with a western location so someone else gets forced to the AL East. But if a concern is keeping on EST then explore some other cities like maybe Charlotte, Nashville, or whatever is possible..

If the Braves and Phillies end up within a 1/2 game of each other at the end of the day Sunday, do the Braves have to play their 9/16 postponed game with Colorado on Monday? That would suck for the Rockies to sit around and wait and see... I don't know the answer and just curious.

I get that this is going to happen in some form or another, but what an insult to the fans in Tampa to debut this during the playoffs, and slap the logo where everyone can see it at the games.

Also...what problem does this solve exactly? If there's one stadium that's worse than the Trop it's Stade Olympique. Who would fund a stadium for a part-time baseball team?

I get that there are a LOT of baseball fans in Canada so it makes sense to get another team there, but just make them the Expos, build a cheaper outdoor stadium in Montreal, and play some games in Florida in April/September. Don't try this "two cities" BS that alienates both fan bases. Everyone in Montreal cheers for the Blue Jays now, I doubt a half-team is going to change their allegiance, especially since the Rays are their RIVAL right now.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for Tampa fans that continue to barely support one of the best franchises in sports. I get why they want to do the logo now. It's a smart way to drum up some exposure for this for a team that essentially gets none.

Community Moderator
Yea if Tampa won't build a new stadium in a good location they should look for a long term solution, not a half one like this. If they were shrewd they'd come up with a western location so someone else gets forced to the AL East. But if a concern is keeping on EST then explore some other cities like maybe Charlotte, Nashville, or whatever is possible..

In my opinion Vancouver BC is a better spot for a 2nd Canadian team than Montreal. However, MLB's scheme for the west coast is to sabotage Oakland's stadium plans in order to force a move to Las Vegas. The 2022 A's are being scripted straight from the script of Major League.

If the Braves and Phillies end up within a 1/2 game of each other at the end of the day Sunday, do the Braves have to play their 9/16 postponed game with Colorado on Monday? That would suck for the Rockies to sit around and wait and see... I don't know the answer and just curious.

Yes. Believe that game would be played Monday. With Game 1 of the NLDS not until Friday maybe they would play Game 163 (if necessary) on Wednesday then?

Yes. Believe that game would be played Monday. With Game 1 of the NLDS not until Friday maybe they would play Game 163 (if necessary) on Wednesday then?

The things I have seen have said that a Braves-Phillies playoff game would be played in Philadelphia on Tuesday.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Not sure i the Rockies have been asked, but I am assuming they are just mentally preparing and assuming like that game is on the schedule. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

All the games happen on the same time on Sunday (essentially) so it isn't like they would spin around in their chairs all night waiting for a 9:00 PM game to finish.

Community Moderator

Not sure i the Rockies have been asked, but I am assuming they are just mentally preparing and assuming like that game is on the schedule. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

All the games happen on the same time on Sunday (essentially) so it isn't like they would spin around in their chairs all night waiting for a 9:00 PM game to finish.

It seems like players on non-contending teams get quite a bit of enjoyment out of playing meaningful games in late September. However, they might feel differently if extra travel is involved...

This is actually a little disappointing, I like the postseason patches…

Source: No MLB Postseason Patch on Caps or Jerseys in 2021

Supply chain issues are reportedly the culprit, so at least it’s likely temporary to just this season.

At least it does sound like they are expected to still be worn in the World Series.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for Tampa fans that continue to barely support one of the best franchises in sports. I get why they want to do the logo now. It's a smart way to drum up some exposure for this for a team that essentially gets none.

I don't think it is fan apathy in Tampa. I suppose it comes down to greed, MLB owners wanted that 130 million dollar expansion fee, and didn't care that the stadium in St. Petersburg is actually inconvenient to get to from Tampa.

Tampa is a bigger media market than Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Baltimore etc. The real problem is that getting to St. Petersburg a terrible drive from where the people are (Tampa). Plus its an older facility built in a different era (1990) to attract a team. Like Oakland they've never been able to obtain an agreement for public financing of a new stadium.

Their sister city plan with Montreal is a dumb idea however. If the Expos couldn't make it work with Montreal and Olympic Stadium the Rays won't fare any better once the novelty has worn off.

With one day (& maybe a couple two tree tiebreakers) left, the Division Standings for 2021 are pretty settled...

ALE 424 wins (+212 runs)

NLW 415 wins (+222 runs)

ALW 406 wins (-55 runs)

NLC 398 wins (-176 runs)

ALC 394 wins (-122 runs)

NLE 377 wins (-81 runs)