Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

The flip was extremely overrated. However the second part of your statement doesn't say much as the stage it happened on is relevant. That's how all memorable plays are. Of course "better" plays happen in meaningless games.

But the play itself just wasn't all that impressive. It was nice, not some otherworldly act of a God.

I've always thought "The Catch" was incredibly lame.

I mean.... maybe overrated. but lame?

Just first now realizing that you guys aren't talking about Dwight Clark. :laughing

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the out call would have been upheld by replay. Was the tag really applied before the runner’s foot hit the plate?

Yes, it would have been upheld, it was Derek Jeter...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

No, Jeter most definitely did not help that ball get there any faster. I would say he slowed it down...and by quite a bit. His flip was really no faster than the ball was coming in and there is a huge pause when he has to grab it.

The one thing it did do was give the catcher an easy ball to receive instead of digging the ball out of the ground on some weird bounce/roll.

Has anyone here criticizing this play actually looked at a replay? The ball had already bounced once when Jeter intercepted it. When it bounced it looks like it may have hit the grass, it's hard to tell, but the bounce itself wasn't one of those skipping bounces, it bounced up (Jeter got to it on its downward trajectory at about knee height) and appeared to me to slow down quite a bit. I'm not sure the ball even comes close to arriving at the plate in time without Jeter doing what he did.

I don't have a pitchfork but I think the play stands up as a pretty great play, iconic even, and I've never been a particular fan of Jeter's and am certainly no fan of the Yankees.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

The flip was extremely overrated. However the second part of your statement doesn't say much as the stage it happened on is relevant. That's how all memorable plays are. Of course "better" plays happen in meaningless games.

But the play itself just wasn't all that impressive. It was nice, not some otherworldly act of a God.

I've always thought "The Catch" was incredibly lame.

I mean.... maybe overrated. but lame?

Just first now realizing that you guys aren't talking about Dwight Clark. :laughing

I was definitely talking about Dwight Clark who made a catch that happens basically every week.

I might get surrounded by torches and pitchforks for this (especially if I was on a Yankee board), but I'm gonna say it:

The "flip" was an overrated play. There, I said it. Jeter ran to cut the throw off and flung the ball like 40 feet to the catcher for the out. Great. It was a very nice defensive play, not some iconic moment in baseball history that should be replayed for decades.

If Jose Hernandez had done it against the Pirates on a random Tuesday evening, we never would have heard about it again.

And Giambi was safe too.

It was bang-bang but he looks pretty clearly out at :34 (as clear as it can be anyway) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApoJk9X7Vto. Certainly not an egregiously bad call if he was safe, and no way that gets overturned even if replay were around. Nobody will ever know if he actually hit his leg at :34 but it sure looks like he did.

Better baserunning probably avoids that tag though.

I hate the Yankees as much as any Brewer fan that was a fan through the AL years.

I would say there was value added to that flip versus letting it go in on its own. Was slowing down and who knows what kind of bounce the catcher gets it on.

He was out according to that replay that was posted. :34 mark as OSS said.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was definitely talking about Dwight Clark who made a catch that happens basically every week.

I'm glad you cleared that up, but..... c'mon man, we're on a baseball forum. If you say "The Catch", it's gotta be assumed you're talking about Willie Mays' "The Catch"... right? :laughing

Community Moderator
No, Jeter most definitely did not help that ball get there any faster. I would say he slowed it down...and by quite a bit. His flip was really no faster than the ball was coming in and there is a huge pause when he has to grab it.

The one thing it did do was give the catcher an easy ball to receive instead of digging the ball out of the ground on some weird bounce/roll.

Has anyone here criticizing this play actually looked at a replay? The ball had already bounced once when Jeter intercepted it. When it bounced it looks like it may have hit the grass, it's hard to tell, but the bounce itself wasn't one of those skipping bounces, it bounced up (Jeter got to it on its downward trajectory at about knee height) and appeared to me to slow down quite a bit. I'm not sure the ball even comes close to arriving at the plate in time without Jeter doing what he did.

I don't have a pitchfork but I think the play stands up as a pretty great play, iconic even, and I've never been a particular fan of Jeter's and am certainly no fan of the Yankees.

Exactly, the whole reason Giambi didn't slide is because it wasn't a close play, they missed the cutoff man and the ball was skipping along, off-target. No way in a million years does Posada pick that skipping ball and make a tag.

The funny thing is, nearly the exact same play happened to the Brewers in the first inning of NLCS game 6 in 2018.

Manny Machado made the same move as Jeter when he saw that Puig overthrew the cutoff man, but the timing didn't work out quite the same with a speedy Braun running.

I'll give Jeter credit for playing SS and being there to make the play. I guess that's really what made it a great play. The flip itself wasn't that amazing. You see a more difficult turn for a 2B during a double play almost weekly. Like I said though, the stakes are relevant. It's a cool play, a nice play, but I've seen people call it the greatest defensive play of all time. Please.

I do agree though it was necessary. Not a chance he's out without Jeter's toss, and as I mentioned the poor baserunning, I don't think Giambi thought there was even a play to be made there.

This comes up a lot but the videos didn't look like that live. It's most likely transferred from a VHS which is where the vast majority of archival footage was held even in the early 2000s. This doesn’t translate well to a modern 1920x1280 LCD monitor with a 120MHz refresh rate. In other words it wasn't made for the medium you're watching it in now. This is why you can watch something like Ben-Hur and still have it look very high-res; it was filmed to be seen in high-res.

I'll give Jeter credit for playing SS and being there to make the play. I guess that's really what made it a great play.

Jeter being in that spot to make that play has literally been what's been touted from the day it happened. No one has ever made a big deal about the flip or hyped it's difficulty. It's always been a heads up play, of a type rarely seen, in a really big moment.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
if jomboy doesn't do a breakdown video by the end of the day of the dustup that was the entire orioles/blue Jays game, I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed.

Knew I could count on jomboy.

Love the comments

"If the Orioles are cheating, they need to work on their processes"

if jomboy doesn't do a breakdown video by the end of the day of the dustup that was the entire orioles/blue Jays game, I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed.

Knew I could count on jomboy.

Love the comments

"If the Orioles are cheating, they need to work on their processes"

What I loved is the Orioles manager apologizing for his behavior, as if he doesn't swear like a drunken sailor every game. He was just sorry he got caught on a live mic.

Which is the crazier 2000-2021 leaderboard fun fact?

A) Trout is 4th in WAR (78.0) even though he didn't debut until 2011

B) Bonds is 8th in WAR (61.9) even though his last season was 2007

Another 2 or 3 years and the Angels probably have two in the top 10 with Ohtani and Trout.

If the Angels ever get just league average pitching that team would be dangerous.

Another 2 or 3 years and the Angels probably have two in the top 10 with Ohtani and Trout.

If the Angels ever get just league average pitching that team would be dangerous.

where can i find these numbers?

where can i find these numbers?

Here's the full link for position players...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2021&month=0&season1=2000&ind=0&team=&rost=&age=&filter=&players=&startdate=&enddate=