Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

Yes, I should add that I don’t believe in booing a team that I am cheering for. As others have noted, I can’t imagine how it is productive. Having said that, I find the actions of the Mets players appalling. They are professionals - act like it. Not every one in the stands is booing them so it is disgraceful for the players to act this way.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I honestly struggle with fans that boo your own players in general. There's literally zero chance of that being beneficial in any way. The booing will either have zero impact or a player will play worse. Literally zero chance of benefit, so why do it? This shows the players clearly don't care for it and it isn't helping anything. Supporting your players through their downswings is far better, any fan with any amount of common sense should know better and be better. I'll boo guys like Bauer and Ozuna if for whatever reason the brewers sign them, but never for struggling on the field

everything you said is true. Having said that, I think the least likely way to get NY fans to stop booing is by doing what they're doing.

I'm not even saying be better, play better, try harder, whatever..... but I guess I just kind of saw this going this way with Javy Baez in NY. This was super predictable.

Sometimes you just gotta be immune to the stuff. I'm not saying it's right or whatever, but people aren't going to stop booing because Javy Baez is giving them a thumbs down. It's NY, they're gonna double down.

It’s only a matter of time before Baez is back with the Cubs anyways. By the end of this year he will have had a sub .300 OBP over his last 700+ plate appearances. He has played his way out of the top tier pay day and would be a perfect fit to soak up the applause and local media plaudits in Chicago while the team loses 90 games.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I honestly would not begrudge a player for flipping booing fans the bird or something of that nature in the heat of the moment. Booing your own guys is stupid. But to have a coordinated team thing like this when you do something right is just idiotic. Cubs fans defending this clown should be ashamed of themselves...and Javy Baez should be ashamed of his well-manicured eyebrows.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I honestly would not begrudge a player for flipping booing fans the bird or something of that nature in the heat of the moment. Booing your own guys is stupid. But to have a coordinated team thing like this when you do something right is just idiotic. Cubs fans defending this clown should be ashamed of themselves...and Javy Baez should be ashamed of his well-manicured eyebrows.

I tried to find a video of the Steve Howe incident where he did that (under his hat). Classic.

And that you can order a print of that for $499. It would be interesting to see the house where that is appropriate wall decor.

I have a roommate with some red sox memorbilia on the walls including a newspaper picture from when they finally won a title. A big picture of a Yankees pitcher giving the 1 finger salute would look pretty nice right next to that.

Mets GM Zack Scott busted for drunk driving in White Plains.

This team just finds ways to stay in the news, and for all the wrong reasons.

Driving home from a party at the owner's house, no less! "The Mets said Scott was at a fundraiser for the team's Amazin' Mets Foundation at owner Steve Cohen's house in Connecticut on Monday night that was also attended by players. Scott left when the event ended around 8:30 or 9 p.m."

Cardinals had the umps check Castellanos bat after he hit a grandslam. Turds gonna turd.

The best part is Castellanos had apparently already given the bat to a kid, so the umps had to take it back to inspect it. The MLB.com story said they also did a replay review of the home run to see if there was something on the bat that helped aid the home run… which doesn’t seem to make much sense. Mike Shildt [and the entire Cardinals operation] is just weird.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Cardinals had the umps check Castellanos bat after he hit a grandslam. Turds gonna turd.

The best part is Castellanos had apparently already given the bat to a kid, so the umps had to take it back to inspect it. The MLB.com story said they also did a replay review of the home run to see if there was something on the bat that helped aid the home run… which doesn’t seem to make much sense. Mike Shildt [and the entire Cardinals operation] is just weird.

The review was a rules check according to the broadcast to see if a cracked bat was legal. A piece of the cupped end was broke off and had been for a week or so according to the Reds announcers.

There is a story that MLB gave a service time proposal that would include guaranteed free agency by 29 1/2 using July 1 as the cutoff. Just another reminder that the new agreement can close the Brewers window sooner than maybe some think. With this Woodruff would be a free agent after the 2022 season vs. the three years of additional control the Brewers currently have.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/01/mlb-makes-new-service-time-proposal-to-players-union-sherman/?utm_source=flipboard&utm_medium=syndicated&utm_campaign=partnerfeed

Question, what are the things that could have changed the outcome? What exactly were the umps/cards looking for? Is a cracked bat a thing in baseball?

Question, what are the things that could have changed the outcome? What exactly were the umps/cards looking for? Is a cracked bat a thing in baseball?

I have never heard of a cracked or broken bat being an illegal bat but if you saw the bat there was definitely something wrong with it. It was missing a chunk on the end. Apparently the umps removed it from the game for safety reasons. This was just the Cards being the Cards trying to get under the other team's skin and it didn't work at all. If you watch the whole situation David Bell and Castellanos are more confused than anything and borderline laughing. There's a shot of a player in the Red's dugout starring into the Cards dugout with a look of bewilderment on his face and then he throws his hand in their direction like "you guys are a bunch of turds."

The review was a rules check according to the broadcast to see if a cracked bat was legal. A piece of the cupped end was broke off and had been for a week or so according to the Reds announcers.

Lorenzo Cain had a similar situation in 2018 and the bat lasted so long it became must-watch (not really, but it started getting attention) TV for awhile.

The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2.61

inches in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42

inches in length. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood.

One could argue that the chip in the bat means it is no longer a "round stick". It makes sense to only try to only bring it up after he has a big hit.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

The bat shall be a smooth, round stick not more than 2.61

inches in diameter at the thickest part and not more than 42

inches in length. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood.

One could argue that the chip in the bat means it is no longer a "round stick". It makes sense to only try to only bring it up after he has a big hit.

That could apply. However, the chipped part was on the end and not on the hitting surface. This bat and many other these days have cupped ends which certainly aren't smooth nor are they round. Just another one of those baseball rules that's devoid of specifics and left up to the judgement of the umpire. Joe West or Angel Hernandez probably would have called him out.