Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

I get that people hate LaRussa, but is him getting animated with the catcher in the dugout after that situation really that terrible? I guess I don't know whether just prior to that at bat if there was any sort of mound visit to go over pitch sequence or discussion about not putting Guerrero on intentionally but instead giving him nothing close to the zone to hit to try and see if he'd get himself out.

I personally will look for any and every reason to criticize TLR, can't stand the guy. That said, when's the last time you saw a manager berate a player in the dugout like that? I'm sure players get their tongue lashings, but probably mostly in the locker room after the game or not publicly. He's done way too much of this stuff publicly already, and he has enough of a reputation that he's never ever ever ever ever ever going to get the benefit of the doubt. Nor should he.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think KS hit the nail on the head. Wanna dress a guy down? Do it in the locker rooom.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The Padres and Dodgers played the longest game since the inception of the extra inning runner on second rule. The game went 16 innings and the Padres managed just 4 hits total. Their only extra base hit of the game came in the 15th on a Fernando Tatis home run. I know they got no hit recently, but playing a game for nearly 6 hours (5:49) and managing just four hits would seem almost as frustrating.

Adam Frazier got one of those hits.

Currently at 229/275/271 (54 OPS+) in 104 PAs with San Diego.

Perfectly encapsulating the vagaries of trade deadline acquisitions, small samples & regression to the mean.

Joey Votto says the Brewers pitching staff is the best he's ever faced:

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Joey Votto says the Brewers pitching staff is the best he's every faced:

That's awesome. Think I posted this elsewhere recently, but Hader/Williams are top two on the 2020-21 reliever leaderboards for pretty much every significant stat now...

Win Probability Added: Hader +4.60 (1st) Williams +4.47 (2nd) Karinchak +3.75 (3rd)

Runs Allowed Based WAR: Williams 3.0 (1st) Hader 2.9 (2nd) Melancon/Breslow 2.6 (3rd)

K%: Hader 43.4% (1st) Williams 42.3% (2nd) Rosenthal 41.8% (3rd)

I'm not sure the average fan knows it, but we are seeing something very special with this pitching staff.

I mean like, EXTRA special!

What a great time to be a Brewers fan!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Zavala set up low and away and Lynn tossed a cookie right down the middle.

Definitely wasn't a center cut "cookie", was a 95 mph fastball that started off the plate and tailed back to the outer third just above the knees....actually a pitch that most hitters wouldn't even go after on 3-0. Lynn may have missed his spot where the catcher set up, but not by very much. If they wanted to make that pitch and have it end up just off the plate or on the black, the catcher probably needed to set up off the plate, not on the corner. You know LaRussa saw the replay in the dugout before the end of that 1/2 inning, where the pitch wound up, etc....

I get that people hate LaRussa, but is him getting animated with the catcher in the dugout after that situation really that terrible? I guess I don't know whether just prior to that at bat if there was any sort of mound visit to go over pitch sequence or discussion about not putting Guerrero on intentionally but instead giving him nothing close to the zone to hit to try and see if he'd get himself out.

He might be an insufferable blowhard, but he's a great manager....if he wasn't such a terrible human being to the point his act grows tired and has missed multiple blocks of seasons away from baseball between organizations he'd be the winningest manager in baseball history - despite that he's 2nd.

For arguments sake, let's just say this was 100% Zavala's fault. Was that the best way to handle the situation? Absolutely not. If a guy doesn't hustle or hot dogs on a play that costs your team, sure, go off on him. But the way Anthony treated him certainly didn't fit with what happened. I think the fact he just ignored Lynn, the guy who actually threw the pitch, while he berated the catcher makes it worse. If he was that upset about it both pitch and catcher should have been involved in the "discussion".

Javy Baez says the Mets players are going to boo the fans...or something like that

Javy Baez says the Mets players are going to boo the fans...or something like that

Jesus, what a loser organization. As a small market fan, there is nothing I love seeing more than big market teams blow a ton of money, lose a bunch of games, and play in front of a fanbase where there is mutual dislike.

Baez, playing for a contract, just gave the wealthiest owner in the sport a reason to not even be in the bidding. Seems like a foolish play.

And Lindor, who's signed to play before those fans until 2031, in the midst of his worst season, has put himself in a giant hole. How is the team supposed to market itself and him?

I was at a game at Citi Field earlier this year, and I found the fans to be friendly, passionate, and as into the actual baseball product as any place I have ever been. It was a baseball crowd, not a beer and social night crowd.

The entitlement and gall of players thinking they can tell fans how to behave is stunning.

‐----------

And now the Mets organization has announced a team meeting to rein in the thumbs down gesturing players. Seems wise.

I honestly don't take much issue with the thumbs down thing. Imagine going through a rough patch at that plate and some drunk losers booing you while it happens. Sure it's their right, but I just don't take issue with a player firing back in their own way. As far as the fans, I can't imagine Mets fans being much different than Yankees fans that were pouring beer on opposing teams managers family and all the pitchers in the astros bullpen. That fan base has certainly earned far more disrespect than a thumbs down gesture

As another user noted, this whole thing will certainly hurt baez marketability and that's the consequence to him. Maybe he doesn't care.

I honestly struggle with fans that boo your own players in general. There's literally zero chance of that being beneficial in any way. The booing will either have zero impact or a player will play worse. Literally zero chance of benefit, so why do it? This shows the players clearly don't care for it and it isn't helping anything. Supporting your players through their downswings is far better, any fan with any amount of common sense should know better and be better. I'll boo guys like Bauer and Ozuna if for whatever reason the brewers sign them, but never for struggling on the field

I honestly don't take much issue with the thumbs down thing. Imagine going through a rough patch at that plate and some drunk losers booing you while it happens. Sure it's their right, but I just don't take issue with a player firing back in their own way. As far as the fans, I can't imagine Mets fans being much different than Yankees fans that were pouring beer on opposing teams managers family and all the pitchers in the astros bullpen. That fan base has certainly earned far more disrespect than a thumbs down gesture

As another user noted, this whole thing will certainly hurt baez marketability and that's the consequence to him. Maybe he doesn't care.

I don’t boo……but those same fans pay the bills…..including his salary….. now if some cross the line then kick them out…..but insulting the fans because you stink and they are upset about?

Every professional athlete knows it's something they have to deal with if they play bad for extended periods of time. He just hurt his own market value with this silly stunt.

Matt Kemp gets it…… https://www.gaslampball.com/2015/7/1/8882171/matt-kemp-id-boo-us-too-the-way-were-playing

So did Jay Cutler with the Bears….. https://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4679646/jay-cutler-id-boo-us-too