Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

The Narvaez one he didn't even frame it as Yadi had to reach back out to actually catch it. That one was on the umpire.

They specifically noted that on the radio yesterday as well- it wasn't a Yadi frame situation at all, just a blown call.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miguel Cabrera with his 500th Home Run today. He is 45 short of 3000 hits, I don't believe he will get to 3000 this season but if he plays next year he should.

Even if he doesn't get to 3000 hits he should be in the HOF.

Orioles are now on a 18 game losing streak. I didn't even realize this until it hit 15. They are 3 losses away from matching their 2 game losing streak to start the 1988 season. They have the Angels coming in on Tuesday for a three gamer and the Rays on Friday for the possible record breaker.

Miguel Cabrera with his 500th Home Run today. He is 45 short of 3000 hits, I don't believe he will get to 3000 this season but if he plays next year he should.

He has two more guaranteed years on his large contract, imagine 3000 hits is a given.

If the season ended today the Padres would miss the playoffs. After all the moves Preller made since the end of the 2020 season, and they took a step backwards. You have to imagine his seat will start getting hot.

The Padres, Mets, and Red Sox have all had pretty horrific free falls over the last 4-6 weeks. The Mets have gone from a 4 game lead to 7 games back in the division race in just 22 days.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

If the season ended today the Padres would miss the playoffs. After all the moves Preller made since the end of the 2020 season, and they took a step backwards. You have to imagine his seat will start getting hot.

I really think injuries are the biggest factor………pitching staff was just decimated. Doubt he is in danger.

I really think injuries are the biggest factor………pitching staff was just decimated. Doubt he is in danger.

Then again, San Diego is a revenue sharing recipient; which went “all in” and crossed the luxury tax threshold and now might possibly miss the playoffs.

Of course, injuries play a role in that but, they’ve been underachievers all year before everyone got hurt. Front office jobs are results driven industry. Preller has been there a long time now (2014) largely without results.

I can’t envision any ownership group failing to put pressure on a GM after running up costs significantly only to finish as an also ran.

I saw a discussion the other day about Joey Votto as a HOF candidate, and was surprised that the writers involved thought unanimously that he should be in.

By my totally subjective standards Votto is a very good player who, unless he has a few more really good years, is not HOF worthy.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I'd agree on Votto as of now. If this revival he's going through right now leads to say two more solid years to help out his HR and hit totals, it becomes a lot closer and probably tils towards in. An MVP that finishes with around 425 HRs and BA over .300 (and very high OBP for him) would probably get in eventually. But right now he's in the lower 300s in HRs and 2000 hits, which probably isn't enough and was trending poorly the last few years before this revival. Edited by tmwiese55

I saw a discussion the other day about Joey Votto as a HOF candidate, and was surprised that the writers involved thought unanimously that he should be in.

By my totally subjective standards Votto is a very good player who, unless he has a few more really good years, is not HOF worthy.

I always thought Votto was a bit overrated because he was so OBP heavy and not as much power heavy. When I think elite guys, drawing walks to have a high OPS seems like cheating. That being said stats don't lie. 4 years with an OPS over 1.000, career .303 hitter, career .417 OBP, MVP award, runner up and a 3rd place finish, three other Top 10 finishes. Even though he never had huge HR numbers his career SLG is over .500. He still has another two years on his deal to pad stats and his career WAR will likely approach 70...which is pretty HOF worthy standards.

For a guy who played the field his entire career and was pretty elite start to finish he is an easy HOFer. First ballot? No...but definitely a HOFer. His biggest knock is playing for small market Cincy his entire career and they have been mostly pathetic during that span.

Statistically speaking, he isn't that far behind Miggy in all honesty. Without the help of 300+ games as a DH to boot.

Votto is a pretty easy yes for me with 63.3 career WAR / 46.9 peak WAR.

Average Hall of Fame 1B is at 66.9 career WAR / 42.7 peak WAR.

Joey's got a career 148 OPS+, pretty much right in line with guys like Bagwell (149), McCovey (147), Thome (147), Pujols (145), Cabrera (145), Killebrew (143), Ortiz (141).

Once Votto wins the World Series this year, that should make it pretty easy to name him to the HOF.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Don't go too far out onto that limb.

Why would I have to go out on a limb? It is rather obvious he should be but sometimes the voters can be weird on who they let in and who they don't.

His biggest knock is playing for small market Cincy his entire career and they have been mostly pathetic during that span.

Interesting point. Sometimes these things have a tendency to fly under the radar, believe it or not, Votto has been to the post season four times ('10,'12',13 and '20) since he broke into the major leagues in 2007 with six years between playoff appearances. Ryan Braun was in the post season five times ('08,'11, '18, '19, '20) and also went six years between playoff appearances.

Maybe because the losses piled up more in the lean years in Cincinnati, but certainly over the last 15 or so years the Reds and Brewers have had just about the same number of competitive teams.

I think when sports writers decide on who is in the Hall of Fame there is a significant bias against small town players, as opposed to penalizing a player for being on a bad team.

I always thought Votto was a bit overrated because he was so OBP heavy and not as much power heavy. When I think elite guys, drawing walks to have a high OPS seems like cheating. That being said stats don't lie. 4 years with an OPS over 1.000, career .303 hitter, career .417 OBP, MVP award, runner up and a 3rd place finish, three other Top 10 finishes. Even though he never had huge HR numbers his career SLG is over .500. He still has another two years on his deal to pad stats and his career WAR will likely approach 70...which is pretty HOF worthy standards.

For a guy who played the field his entire career and was pretty elite start to finish he is an easy HOFer. First ballot? No...but definitely a HOFer. His biggest knock is playing for small market Cincy his entire career and they have been mostly pathetic during that span.

Statistically speaking, he isn't that far behind Miggy in all honesty. Without the help of 300+ games as a DH to boot.

Votto is a shoe-in. When it comes to weighting the importance of OBP vs. SLG, OBP is actually UNDER-rated rather than overrated in importance. PLUS, Votto was/is still hitting .300 with all those walks as opposed to those 3TO sluggers like Adam Dunn and Joey Gallo who can't hit for avg.

When I think elite guys, drawing walks to have a high OPS seems like cheating.

Walks are pretty darn important. You sure to seem to make some odd posts about walking. (Aka the hitter just stands there implying it doesn't take skill)