Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

Couldn't really ask for a better game than they got in the Field of Dreams game. Lots of home runs into the corn which was kind of fun. It was a National FOX game and did see quite a number of non baseball friends/family mention it. It worked, but imagine the novelty wears off in subsequent games. Glad they didn't destroy the previous field from the movie to play the game. Didn't really understand why they stayed on Costner for so long as that was kind of awkward but again the players coming from the cornfield was a nice touch.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Total Viewers: Fox: 5.07 million, CBS: 3.16, ABC: 2.02, NBC: 1.99, CW: 900,000 Adults 18-49: Fox: 1.2 rating/10 share, CBS: 0.7/ 5, NBC: 0.4/ 3, ABC: 0.3/ 3, CW: 0.1/ 1 Fox moved into the fast affiliate winner’s circle care of the New York Yankees and the Chicago White Sox at the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa (the setting for the beloved 1989 sports -themed film with Kevin Costner). The match-up averaged an estimated 5.07 million viewers and a 1.2 rating/10 share in the Thursday 8-11 p.m. ET block. As always, results for any live sporting event are approximate. “MLB at Field of Dreams” is projected to be the largest MLB audience for a regular season matchup in over a decade.

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/thursday-ratings-field-of-dreams-baseball-game-lifts-fox-to-victory/

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Already seeing the Cubs will be at the FOD in 2022. Would be cool to see us play them there.

I'd grab another historic team like the Red Sox or something. As much as I'd love to see the Brewers do this, I just can't see it happening.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Already seeing the Cubs will be at the FOD in 2022. Would be cool to see us play them there.

I'd grab another historic team like the Red Sox or something. As much as I'd love to see the Brewers do this, I just can't see it happening.

Yep, particularly from a big market club to help drive ratings....another thing that would be cool to add is having some of each team's all time greats (or their descendants) at the game in throwback uni's of their era.

MLB would never do it - but it would be kind of cool to have the Reds play and then have Pete Rose serve as the Shoeless Joe Jackson role from the movie....great player who was blackballed out of MLB due to scandal. Not that I love Rose, but that could make for an interesting storyline that I'm guessing would be watched by alot of fans.

I don't think the opponent really matters as long as one team is iconic and it's not Milwaukee vs. Seattle. People are watching for the novelty. The Cubs play the Red Sox basically over the 4th so that is unlikely. You're likely limited to only late July or August and I doubt any team wants to give up a weekend game (plus that's not really a great TV slot for this) so I'm guessing that's a no-go as well.

The obvious choice is St. Louis, whom the Cubs play twice in August, both in the middle of the week.

I don't think the opponent really matters as long as one team is iconic and it's not Milwaukee vs. Seattle. People are watching for the novelty. The Cubs play the Red Sox basically over the 4th so that is unlikely. You're likely limited to only late July or August and I doubt any team wants to give up a weekend game (plus that's not really a great TV slot for this) so I'm guessing that's a no-go as well.

The obvious choice is St. Louis, whom the Cubs play twice in August, both in the middle of the week.

That's who I was thinking as well....or they just broadcast an intersquad Cubs game with them and their AAA team from Des Moines to save on travel expense. That would probably be a more competitive game given what the MLB Cubs might look like next season.

I think Cubs/Cardinals is the most fitting matchup, though MLB might want to get the Dodgers in there somehow, just for the tv audience. That would require some schedule juggling.

This may turn out to be like the outdoor NHL games that they play every year. It's cool for awhile, but then the novelty wears off. Will we be as enamored seeing players emerging from a cornfield again? Still, they could keep doing it until the audience tires of it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I mentioned this on the last page but it'd be cool if they did this in more than one place. I get that the tie in with the movie and everything but a place like Rickwood Field in Alabama would be great. It's the oldest ballpark in the US and has a ton of history.

https://rickwood.com/history-of-rickwood-field/

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I mentioned this on the last page but it'd be cool if they did this in more than one place. I get that the tie in with the movie and everything but a place like Rickwood Field in Alabama would be great. It's the oldest ballpark in the US and has a ton of history.

I think the problem with this is that the FOD setup appeared to be a permanent structure- grandstands, supporting amenities, etc. Presumably, MLB contributed a significant chunk of the cost of that to hold this event and ones in the future there. I'd expect they'll want to milk that cow until they feel they've received sufficient return on that investment.

Definitely. There is also an effort to revitalize Hinchliffe Stadium in Paterson, NJ. The NY Black Yankees and Newark Eagles played there. It would be great to see a game there.

As far as the field goes:

"The specially constructed stadium around the MLB field, which seats 8,000 fans and was built next to the original diamond at the movie site, is a temporary facility for Thursday's game. Weinberg said the field, dugouts, bullpens, fences and irrigation system will stay at the site after Thursday's game.

But a week or so after the game, Weinberg expects MLB to start disassembling other parts of the park. The locker rooms, lights, seats and bleachers will all be torn down. That could create an issue for Go The Distance, which may have to replace those items after MLB leaves and eventually hands over the stadium. Weinberg wouldn't say when that will take place.

"We have a rolodex of vendors for bleachers and things like that for large-scale events that we would always contact in terms of that," Weinberg said. "But really, it's trying to finalize things from a Major League Baseball standpoint as well, and figuring out what exactly we want to do with the field."

Community Moderator

The NHL has been pretty good at marketing outdoor games and is adjusting to the novelty of football stadium games wearing off. I think the 'made for TV' approach is going to grow like wildfire as the Lake Tahoe NHL game also drew rave reviews for the setting/visual beauty, although they had some problems with the ice due to the weather I believe.

Also, they are using juiced balls for these games, right? And they didn't set up statcast in Iowa so we have no way of proving it.

As far as the field goes:

"The specially constructed stadium around the MLB field, which seats 8,000 fans and was built next to the original diamond at the movie site, is a temporary facility for Thursday's game. Weinberg said the field, dugouts, bullpens, fences and irrigation system will stay at the site after Thursday's game.

But a week or so after the game, Weinberg expects MLB to start disassembling other parts of the park. The locker rooms, lights, seats and bleachers will all be torn down. That could create an issue for Go The Distance, which may have to replace those items after MLB leaves and eventually hands over the stadium. Weinberg wouldn't say when that will take place.

"We have a rolodex of vendors for bleachers and things like that for large-scale events that we would always contact in terms of that," Weinberg said. "But really, it's trying to finalize things from a Major League Baseball standpoint as well, and figuring out what exactly we want to do with the field."

I assumed they played on the actual site from the movie. Not that I thought much about this whole thing to begin with but I think even less of it now.

I just can't forgive Field of Dreams the movie for having Shoeless Joe hit right-handed.

But Shoeless Joe, the book the movie is based on is great, and the game last night was pretty cool. Nice set up and a fun game.

So...mixed feelings from me, I guess, but I'm glad to have the game do so well. Nice to have some positive headlines for a change.

I just can't forgive Field of Dreams the movie for having Shoeless Joe hit right-handed.

But Shoeless Joe, the book the movie is based on is great, and the game last night was pretty cool. Nice set up and a fun game.

So...mixed feelings from me, I guess, but I'm glad to have the game do so well. Nice to have some positive headlines for a change.

”Well, he didn’t come down from heaven either, so . . .”

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I can't believe anyone over the age of 35 who grew up with the movie didn't get hit right in the feels when the teams emerged from the cornfield, that was one of the coolest things I've seen.

As far as next year's game, I'll guess it's Cubs and Reds. If you look at the August schedule next season, both teams have an off day Thursday the 11th before starting a weekend series the next day. They could bump the Friday game up a day and leave Friday as a potential make-up day for a rainout the same way they did it with the Sox and Yankees this year.

Being in Iowa, it would be cool if they kept this as a midwest thing. Due to it being a single game, I can see the home team always being from somewhere close so that it's a quick flight to the rest of the series. I'm not sure if you'll see the Dodgers and Giants, for example, fly to Iowa for a game and then back to California.

More bad stuff coming out about Trevor Bauer. According to the Washington Post, he was subject to a temporary protection order last year involving a different woman. Some very disturbing text messages.

I wonder if MLB is done with him.

Diamondbacks reliever LHP Tyler Gilbert, a 27-year old rule 5 draft pick last December (from the Dodgers), just threw a no hitter against the Padres in his first career MLB start.

He didn’t pitch during last year’s COVID season and worked as an electrician in the family business.

Not just “at Night” anymore.