Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

They deferred his entire salary over a decade into the future, that’s a bit different than deferring a few million from each year. It was also going to take 35 years to get all his money.

It’s an extreme case because the Mets were under the impression they were essentially going to make money off the deal by not paying him for 10-35 years.

Today’s contracts are just built to look simpler. I’m sure any players agent has a finance guy to run the numbers for deferrals to see what it’s “today’s value” is to compare it to a competing offer without deferrals.

There was a recent mega FA that got some borderline insanity offer that included massive deferrals and complicated language. Bryce Harper? I almost feel like it was even more recent though. I recall the deal being more money, but the deferrals were so large the lesser deal he took was actually the better financial offer.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community Moderator
Ohtani is putting together an amazing season. He leads all of baseball with 30 HRs already and has a 1.068 OPS. He also has 12 starts with a 3.60 ERA and 83 K in 60 innings.

Crazy numbers

Thought it might be interesting to find the closest recent-ish comps to Ohtani's performance from each side...

2021 Ohtani | 123 BB%+ | 120 K%+ | 115 AVG+ | 115 OBP+ | 171 SLG+

1989 Mitchell | 155 BB%+ | 125 K%+ | 115 AVG+ | 121 OBP+ | 168 SLG+

1995 Belle | 120 BB%+ | 83 K%+ | 117 AVG+ | 116 OBP+ | 162 SLG+

2021 Ohtani | 137 K%+ | 156 BB%+ | 84 ERA- | 88 FIP-

2005 Kazmir | 134 K%+ | 157 BB%+ | 88 ERA- | 87 FIP-

How are the Angels going to manage to miss the playoffs with Ohtani, Trout and even Walsh playing like an all star?
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Community Moderator
How are the Angels going to manage to miss the playoffs with Ohtani, Trout and even Walsh playing like an all star?

Combination of Trout hurt + Rendon slumping + still no pitching + Astros & A's ahead of them both in terms of current record & front office aptitude.

Since Stearns & company got here the Brewers have won 423 games (8th most) while spending about 480 million on payroll & heading for their 4th consecutive postseason.

In that same time the Angels have won 372 games (21st) while spending about 900 million on payroll & never making the postseason.

Their pitching is really bad. Canning is the next best starter after Ohtani and his ERA is just below 5. Even the hitters are pretty bad after those three and Upton.

I didn't click on the article, but the headline and picture implied an Astros fan threw a cheese head on the field with "the rat has to get hungry" written on it and a picture of fiers and plastic rat on top of it.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I didn't click on the article, but the headline and picture implied an Astros fan threw a cheese head on the field with "the rat has to get hungry" written on it and a picture of fiers and plastic rat on top of it.

Sorry, but a bit cringy when fans get mad that their player/team got caught cheating. It is like people crying over that runner getting banned because she couldn't stop from smoking pot before the Olympics.

https://twitter.com/DailyUSANews/status/1413118207162871811

Milwaukee’s favorite guy Stephen A. Smith said this when asked if Ohtani should be the face of MLB:

“When you talk about an audience gravitating to the tube or to the ballpark to actually watch you, I don’t think it helps that the number one face is a dude that needs an interpreter so you can understand what the hell he’s saying,”

On the same show he was criticizing Team USA for losing to Nigeria. Citing all the good players Team USA has and then made a joke of the Nigerian team by butchering all their names intentionally.

Yikes

I was watching pretty much every inning of every game during the time-frame that Sutton was broadcasting Brewer games. I wasn't surprised when he was let go. He was very, very critical of the organization down the stretch in 2006, flat out stated a couple of times that the Brewers organization had to figure out if they really wanted to be winning organization or if they were just content with the status quo (for those that don't want to look it up, at that time the Brewers had a .500 season in 2005 but hadn't had a winning season since 1992). He was basically saying what pretty much every Brewer fan was thinking at the time, but it probably didn't make Attanasio and Melvin very happy.

No idea if he was doing the same thing in LA, but he was probably having a field day in LA if he was. Huge market, best player in the game, having Ohtani fall in your lap at a ridiculous bargain price....and you still are as mediocre as can be. If there is any team that should be awful right now it should be Oakland, and they have completely outclassed the Angels over the last half-decade and it isn't even close.

If fate would have it that Sutton would someday wind up back in the Brewer booth, I wouldn't be upset about it. Just as long as Attanasio doesn't neuter him first.

So Scherzer, who was named to the all star team as a replacement gets the start?

That makes no sense at all...

Shouldn't that honor go to someone who was actually voted in?

I know some of those guys won't be pitching because they recently pitched for their teams on Sunday, etc., but surely there is at least one starter who was voted on the team that could start the game.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I had NO idea that both Sutton and Matt V. were the Angels TV guys this year.

I guess Mike Hegan wasn't available.

Just FYI: Mike Hegan is sitting around heaven retelling stories with Davey Nelson... Probably from their time together doing CLE Indians broadcasts

So Scherzer, who was named to the all star team as a replacement gets the start?

That makes no sense at all...

Shouldn't that honor go to someone who was actually voted in?

I know some of those guys won't be pitching because they recently pitched for their teams on Sunday, etc., but surely there is at least one starter who was voted on the team that could start the game.

I thought exactly the same thing. The start should go to an original All Star. Not a replacement.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I always thought Daron Sutton was a terrible broadcaster.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Alonso's bobble head / head banging during the HR derby was annoying...

Rooting for Mancini!

EDIT: Man, that guy is full of himself. Mets fans probably love him, but as a fan of another team, he seems like a jerk.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS