Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

Trevor Bauer being investigated for sexual assault by lapd. Not a civil suit, but an investigation by the police. Obviously innocent until proven guilty. We'll definitely wait to hear more

I'm all for live and let live. But based on what his agent said, he engages in some risky stuff. It seems like a thing that would always leave your career and celebrity status hanging by a thread.

I'm hoping for the best, but I don't know what that is in this case.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Trevor Bauer being investigated for sexual assault by lapd. Not a civil suit, but an investigation by the police. Obviously innocent until proven guilty. We'll definitely wait to hear more

I'm all for live and let live. But based on what his agent said, he engages in some risky stuff. It seems like a thing that would always leave your career and celebrity status hanging by a thread.

I'm hoping for the best, but I don't know what that is in this case.

I read the whole thing. I agree that his behavior pushes him into some areas that lays him open. I wasn't going to touch on that myself. He's also harassed fans, including a college-aged girl for several days on Twitter. I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty. I'm definitely glad we chose not to pursue him based on things.

Ohtani had an Ashby start tonight……knocked out after 2/3 of an inning…..4 runs in bases still loaded….. bunch of walks.

Abd just like Ashby the reliever gives up a hit…….to add insult to injury…..7 earned his final line.

Wow

Verified Member
Ohtani had an Ashby start tonight……knocked out after 2/3 of an inning…..4 runs in bases still loaded….. bunch of walks.

Abd just like Ashby the reliever gives up a hit…….to add insult to injury…..7 earned his final line.

Wow

Advantage: Eric Sogard

Verified Member

Wow

This is obviously all tongue-in-cheek good fun, but it certainly does illustrate the beauty of baseball. If a world class shot-putter raced Usain Bolt in the 100m or 200m dash he would lose 100% of the time with 0 exceptions (barring injury/gambling involvement). In baseball, no matter how much the difference is in the long term overall probabilities, in every individual circumstance even the worst has a chance to beat the best.

If there is another more apt example of the American Spirit exemplified in sport I would like to hear it.

Wow

This is obviously all tongue-in-cheek good fun, but it certainly does illustrate the beauty of baseball. If a world class shot-putter raced Usain Bolt in the 100m or 200m dash he would lose 100% of the time with 0 exceptions (barring injury/gambling involvement). In baseball, no matter how much the difference is in the long term overall probabilities, in every individual circumstance even the worst has a chance to beat the best.

If there is another more apt example of the American Spirit exemplified in sport I would like to hear it.

Brandon Woodruff hitting a homerun off of Clayton Kershaw in the NLCS.

Verified Member
Happy Bobby Bonilla Day everyone! I was 9 years old when Bonilla debuted in the majors and will be 58 when he receives his last check for playing baseball.

Verified Member

Wow

And just like the Brewers/Cubs game, the Angels came back and won after giving up 7 runs in the first! There is something about both the Cubs and Yankees scoring 7 runs in the first inning and losing on the same day that warms my heart.

Next year Braun Day will start. Braun will get a 1.8 million dollar payment from the Brewers on July 1 from the years 2022 through 2031.

The Brewers (while not the only ones) have gotten pretty deep into the deferment game.

1.8 million to Braun until 2031

1 million to Cain from 2023 to 2027

2.3 million to Yelich from 2031 to 2042

5 million to Wong between 2023 and 2024

18 million to JBJ (assuming he exercises his player option) between 2023 and 2025

Community Moderator
Next year Braun Day will start. Braun will get a 1.8 million dollar payment from the Brewers on July 1 from the years 2022 through 2031.

The Brewers (while not the only ones) have gotten pretty deep into the deferment game.

18 million to JBJ (assuming he exercises his player option) between 2023 and 2025

Pretty sure the Nationals kick the biggest can the farthest down the road...

Scherzer: 15 million each July 1 from 2022-28 (105 million)

Strasburg: 26.66 million each July 1 from 2027-29 + 4 million interest (90 million)

Corbin: 10 million total from November 2024 to January 2026

Hand: 6.5 million total from January 2022-24

Yeah a lot of teams do it. I know some Mets fans on Twitter that scream about this every year. "We're not the only ones!!" which makes it even funnier.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Pretty sure the Nationals kick the biggest can the farthest down the road...

Scherzer: 15 million each July 1 from 2022-28 (105 million)

Strasburg: 26.66 million each July 1 from 2027-29 + 4 million interest (90 million)

Corbin: 10 million total from November 2024 to January 2026

Hand: 6.5 million total from January 2022-24

Andrew Brandt from the NFL/Agent world…spoke about Bobby Bonilla Day. Said that every team would prefer to defer money but it less advantageous for the player/agent. I would’ve thought it be better to just be done with the contract ASAP..

I've known about the Bobby Bonilla annual deferments for years but I had either forgotten or just never looked up why it was so noteworthy. It blows my mind that the Mets turned a $5.9 million buyout into 25 years of paying around $1.2 million annually for a grand total of nearly $30 million. Plus he has a 2nd separate deferred agreement of $500k for 25 years from the Mets as well! LOL
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Andrew Brandt from the NFL/Agent world…spoke about Bobby Bonilla Day. Said that every team would prefer to defer money but it less advantageous for the player/agent. I would’ve thought it be better to just be done with the contract ASAP..

A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow...simple as that. Teams employ smart people and have financial resources to figure out it all out. Well...except the Mets back in the day.

Even Bonilla's made sense in theory at the time. The problem was the fact their infamous financial guy wasn't so honest and it wasn't as good as he made it sound.

I've known about the Bobby Bonilla annual deferments for years but I had either forgotten or just never looked up why it was so noteworthy. It blows my mind that the Mets turned a $5.9 million buyout into 25 years of paying around $1.2 million annually for a grand total of nearly $30 million. Plus he has a 2nd separate deferred agreement of $500k for 25 years from the Mets as well! LOL

Didn't it have something to do with the can't miss returns Madoff promised?

Didn't it have something to do with the can't miss returns Madoff promised?

Yes, still doesn't make much sense to me to pay $30 million instead of $6 million but I'm far from a financial genius.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

At the time then, $6m was the equivalent of at least a $30m lump sum payment now. The Mets opted to kick the financial can down the road using anticipated excess funds from can't miss investment returns over time instead of a onetime lump payment that likely would have hampered their day to day ops negatively.

Not a good decision, but even worse once they realized the investment returns they were promised were a farce.

The contract essentially gave Bonilla an 8% return on his money or something around there. Bernie Madoff said he could easily get the Mets owner 10-15%. So essentially Madoff was like, "Not only can we defer this money down the road I can MAKE you money on it too!"

Of course if you trusted Madoff with your money back then your returns were, non existent. Of course that is hindsight and at the time it made perfect sense for the Mets to pull the trigger and do that type of deal.

Yes, still doesn't make much sense to me to pay $30 million instead of $6 million but I'm far from a financial genius.

Compound interest grows faster than your gut would assume. If the Mets invested the 5.9M in 2001 and got 8% back every year it would be worth 37.4M in 2025. They would have made ~7M by delaying the payments. They also assumed they would get 11%-13% and were set to make a killing in this deal. But the person who "guaranteed" that return ended up just being a fraud that lost them all of the original money. Add in the fact that it was a NY team and that is why Bonilla became the example everyone uses.

It also fits the dream. We all dreamt at some point of being a ball player and making millions playing the game. Now the imagination goes to making millions for sitting at home after retiring in your 30s.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Even on Bonilla's end it isn't a total genius of a contract. If he would have just gotten $6mil in 2000 it would have probably been worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $50mil come 2035 just by being lazy and investing in the SP 500. Though if he invested all his deferrals through the years that might close the gap a bit.

Compound interest grows faster than your gut would assume. If the Mets invested the 5.9M in 2001 and got 8% back every year it would be worth 37.4M in 2025. They would have made ~7M by delaying the payments. They also assumed they would get 11%-13% and were set to make a killing in this deal. But the person who "guaranteed" that return ended up just being a fraud that lost them all of the original money. Add in the fact that it was a NY team and that is why Bonilla became the example everyone uses.

It also fits the dream. We all dreamt at some point of being a ball player and making millions playing the game. Now the imagination goes to making millions for sitting at home after retiring in your 30s.

I guess where I'm looking at it is do the more common deferrals that teams work out with players today work the same way? My impression was that Braun's deferral, for example, doesn't include interest, it's just a straight deferral of that money from his contract. If that's true the Mets' way of doing it feels even more stupid.