Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pretty sure a pitcher or 2 got thrown out today. Curious to see if they find anything, and if not, what's the consequence for the umpires?

There shouldn't be consequences for the umpires. If you got crap on your glove and it turns out to be nothing, take better care of your glove. You know you're going to get checked.

They were talking about it on the radio today and the pitcher said it was rosen. Ump told him rosen is not allowed on the glove. Uecker said he had no idea that was a rule. I've never thought of it, but that's a stupid rule.

Are the Giants really this good? I really didn't see anything resembling a decent season from them.

Looking at their team batting lines is pretty ridiculous...

Posey currently at 165 wRC+, Longo at 146, Belt at 142, Crawford at 135, & thats just the old guys. How about Steven Duggar at 166, Darin Ruf at 141 & even some guy named LaMonte Wade Jr. cracking at 137. Yaz is low man on the torem pole at 124. Pretty nuts.

Projections are buying them as a Wild Card (72.8% @ FanGraphs, 65% @ 538, 50.2 @ PECOTA), but not as much for the division (19% @ 538, 12.7% @ FanGraphs, 1.7% @ PECOTA).

Jared Walsh of the Angels is tied for 6th in the AL with 18 home runs.

Walsh was a 39th round pick of the Angels back in 2015 out of the University of Georgia, where his best season was his senior year when he had a .827 OPS and in 171 career games he hit a total of 7 home runs.

I wonder what odds Vegas would have given back in 2015 of him even hitting one home run in the majors.

Are the Giants really this good? I really didn't see anything resembling a decent season from them.

I think I said that every time they won a World Series in the 2000's

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Jared Walsh of the Angels is tied for 6th in the AL with 18 home runs.

Walsh was a 39th round pick of the Angels back in 2015 out of the University of Georgia, where his best season was his senior year when he had a .827 OPS and in 171 career games he hit a total of 7 home runs.

I wonder what odds Vegas would have given back in 2015 of him even hitting one home run in the majors.

He can pitch too. 5 relief innings in 2019, 26.2 total professional innings in his career. He was trying to do what he can to get to the majors. He doesnt need to do that now

Haha, no kidding. Their championships are - by far - the biggest head scratchers to me. Just a good example of: "get hot and anything can happen" in the playoffs. This is why 2018 is so painful to me, because I thought the Brewers were the hottest team going into the playoffs (I still think they were and it's not close) and I thought it would carry them to the finish line.

Haha, no kidding. Their championships are - by far - the biggest head scratchers to me. Just a good example of: "get hot and anything can happen" in the playoffs. This is why 2018 is so painful to me, because I thought the Brewers were the hottest team going into the playoffs (I still think they were and it's not close) and I thought it would carry them to the finish line.

A big reason for that is "get hot and anything can happen" is a complete myth.

They were talking about it on the radio today and the pitcher said it was rosen. Ump told him rosen is not allowed on the glove. Uecker said he had no idea that was a rule. I've never thought of it, but that's a stupid rule.

6.02d pitcher nor any player is not permitted to apply rosin to their glove or any part of their uniforms

I do think it's perhaps more to do with one player getting red hot (MadBum) in the playoffs, and riding him to a title. He was magnificent for them in the post season, IIRC.

Not sure what is head scratching about the Giants WS wins. They had the likes of Barry Zito, Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, and Mad Bum on those teams. Ryan Vogelsong was great for them in one of those seasons. Brain Wilson, Santiago Casilla, Jeremy Affeldt, and Sergio Romo in the pen.

The pitching on those teams was simply incredible.

Head scratching would be the Royals making two WS in a row despite teams that weren't even that great. Neither team was bad, but to make and nearly win two World Series was a bit shocking. That 2014 Royals team is probably a good reason the Giants got that 2014 title...not exactly a formidable opponent in the World Series.

Not sure what is head scratching about the Giants WS wins. They had the likes of Barry Zito, Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, and Mad Bum on those teams. Ryan Vogelsong was great for them in one of those seasons. Brain Wilson, Santiago Casilla, Jeremy Affeldt, and Sergio Romo in the pen.

Head scratching would be the Royals making two WS in a row despite teams that weren't even that great. Neither team was bad, but to make and nearly win two World Series was a bit shocking. That 2014 Royals team is probably a good reason the Giants got that 2014 title...not exactly a formidable opponent in the World Series.

The magic of Ned Yost

They beat the Royals in the WS as an 88 win team. They were kind of meh.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They beat the Royals in the WS as an 88 win team. They were kind of meh.

Yah, I did sort of mention that in the part of my post you deleted out of your reply *sobs*. I recall both teams being wild cards?

The Royals were a 89 win team, with a Pythagorean of 84 wins. The Pythagorean of the Giants was a pretty lame 87 wins.

Even that team had some crazy pitchers though. At the end of the day I would rather have elite pitching and pray my offense gets hot versus expecting a bunch of 'meh' pitchers to be Cy Young's.

Yea I think that's the biggest takeaway from the SF titles. If you have pitching you'll probably be in the game, at which point anything can happen if things go your way. That said, look at the staffs of WAS/LAD the last 10 years and yes they both finally got titles but it took a long time until they did. And in line with the pitching is key thing, WAS won after letting their best hitter go knowing the real key to it all is pitching.

With the death of the single & the ascendancy of the all or nothing HR/K approach, I was curious just how many players in 2021 were currently posting at least a league average batting line (wRC+ 100 or better), while striking out at a below average rate (K%+ under 100), and getting hits more frequently than average (AVG+ over 100), but also slugging at a below average clip (ISO+ less than 100).

Out of 197 players with at least 150 plate appearances so far there were 24 that met the criteria...

PLAYER | K%+ | AVG+ | wRC+ | ISO+

Madrigal | 33 | 125 | 116 | 73

Brantley | 46 | 142 | 150 | 95

Arraez | 46 | 120 | 107 | 95

Frazier | 48 | 137 | 143 | 86

Merrifield | 54 | 117 | 105 | 85

Verdugo | 58 | 114 | 110 | 97

Rojas | 61 | 106 | 109 | 91

Segura | 62 | 137 | 132 | 81

LeMahieu | 63 | 112 | 103 | 63

Bregman | 68 | 113 | 120 | 92

Soto | 68 | 113 | 126 | 94

Harrison | 68 | 112 | 101 | 62

France | 75 | 106 | 117 | 95

Crawford | 75 | 116 | 110 | 71

Yermin | 75 | 112 | 104 | 81

Pavin | 76 | 114 | 101 | 79

Benintendi | 79 | 116 | 111 | 88

Daza | 82 | 135 | 106 | 58

Rosario | 83 | 114 | 100 | 74

Dickerson | 87 | 109 | 101 | 71

Lowrie | 89 | 101 | 100 | 78

Goldschmidt | 92 | 103 | 104 | 98

India | 93 | 109 | 114 | 83

Pham | 99 | 105 | 126 | 96

Closest Brewers to making the cut were Wong (66 K%+ | 122 AVG+ | 128 wRC+) and Narvaez (78 K%+ | 122 AVG+ | 136 wRC+), but they both slugged too much with ISO+ marks of 119 & 104, respectively.

Jeez Kyle Schwarber is on some kind of heater. Hit another dinger tonight.