Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

Trying to keep to the western area so divisions don't need to be messed with the likely other option would be Portland. That and Vegas are probably the two options. I'd agree on the skepticism of baseball in a city that warm in the summer with such a small local fanbase. I'd agree with Plush that it's better than Oakland though. ETA: I suppose Austin/San Antonio too to pair up with the other TX teams. Though if done they should then move Col/AZ to AL and Sea/Angels to NL.

I have no idea on how the Raiders will play out but I'm by no means as skeptical as owbc. Though I definitely see a flaw of that team being the road team is going to be filling the majority of your stadium. So yea, it 'works' in that sense but still not exactly ideal.

If I'm a power broker in LV I probably hold off on MLB and make sure I'm primed and ready for the NBA whenever it happens. But, Vegas of course is likely to be a place to just go for everything it can. And NBA should be easy anyway due to the ready made stadium already done and ready to go.

Edited by tmwiese55

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Raiders will be fine, but that is because there are a measly 8 or whatever home games. Isn't hard for terrible teams with terrible fanbases to draw a ton in football. Put a decent team in Las Vegas and have the heavy out of town tourism and they probably fill it up pretty well. I can imagine a boatload of people will make a short 3-4 day trip to Vegas when their team is in town. The amount of opposing fans filling it up will likely be a bit cringy, I agree there. When the Chargers were waiting for their new stadium didn't the opposing fans embarrassingly fill it up?

What is the better location? Las Vegas is probably better than Oakland. Have to take into consideration the current city is a dump of a location as is.

Generally, Portland is the consensus next best spot in the west. Gives a regional rival to the Mariners and would allow for easier realignment whenever it comes. One other city that I think might make some sense is Salt Lake City. There is significant passion in the NBA for the Jazz, and while the economics surely aren't the same in MLB/NBA, I think a similar level of passion could be had for a MLB team. Regardless, those three cities are really the only options that truly make sense in order to provide greater regional reach at this point. MLB is a barren waste land in the triangle that extends from Denver to Phoenix to Seattle.

You've certainly changed your tune in 24 months:

Lol, where is this Vegas stuff coming from? I live here and work in real estate. They just built a brand new AAA stadium that opened last month. They are building a stadium for the Raiders. They already built a hockey arena and host an NHL team. And they have a site excavated for a 2nd arena that could host an NBA team. None of those things add up to a MLB team coming here. They'd be 4th in line and in direct opposition to the newly constructed AAA stadium. The population couldn't support it. I'd seriously question those sources.

Yeah I sure have. And I said as much right in my post yesterday. The population growth here and the influx of people moving from California has been nothing short of amazing.

I live near Vegas and a good friend told me that the Raider games are sold out for the next two years. I gotta imagine that is a combination of season ticket holders and ticket companies / scalpers.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I live near Vegas and a good friend told me that the Raider games are sold out for the next two years. I gotta imagine that is a combination of season ticket holders and ticket companies / scalpers.

You would have to think that the companies bought them up to package to visiting fans as you said. When Green Bay is on the road to Vegas, they could probably sell 35,000 tickets to Packer fans, no problem. To a lesser extent the other cities (especially northern), would said many fans to Vegas.

I talked to a local out there a few weeks ago who paid up all the ridiculous fees and all that for Raiders tickets primarily just to clean up on selling them to the traveling fans. He expects them to go for a huge number. The numbers he gave were unbelievable on what it cost which made me question if he'd really recoup all he put in but I don't know how primo the seats were. He seemed to just be an individual and not part of any kind of group/company but who knows, just bs'd with the guy for a few minutes.

I guess in my general curiosity on Knights tickets over the years seeing worst seats in the house are $200 anything is possible for the nfl.

What is the better location? Las Vegas is probably better than Oakland. Have to take into consideration the current city is a dump of a location as is.

Generally, Portland is the consensus next best spot in the west. Gives a regional rival to the Mariners and would allow for easier realignment whenever it comes. One other city that I think might make some sense is Salt Lake City. There is significant passion in the NBA for the Jazz, and while the economics surely aren't the same in MLB/NBA, I think a similar level of passion could be had for a MLB team. Regardless, those three cities are really the only options that truly make sense in order to provide greater regional reach at this point. MLB is a barren waste land in the triangle that extends from Denver to Phoenix to Seattle.

Oakland isn’t as tony as San Francisco or San Jose, but the Bay Area is a great market with probably in excess of ten million people. Short of Texas or the South there isn’t access to a market that size anywhere else in the US that doesn’t already have a team. The A’s would be best served in the Bay Area and let Manfred fight to get them into Palo Alto or something

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You've certainly changed your tune in 24 months:

Lol, where is this Vegas stuff coming from? I live here and work in real estate. They just built a brand new AAA stadium that opened last month. They are building a stadium for the Raiders. They already built a hockey arena and host an NHL team. And they have a site excavated for a 2nd arena that could host an NBA team. None of those things add up to a MLB team coming here. They'd be 4th in line and in direct opposition to the newly constructed AAA stadium. The population couldn't support it. I'd seriously question those sources.

Yeah I sure have. And I said as much right in my post yesterday. The population growth here and the influx of people moving from California has been nothing short of amazing.

Interesting. I didn't realize the population had exploded so much in the last two years.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Rays have called up Wander Franco the consensus #1 prospect in baseball. He was born in 2001 if you want to feel old.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rays have called up Wander Franco the consensus #1 prospect in baseball. He was born in 2001 if you want to feel old.

Finally get to see why Tampa traded Adames who's been nothing short of Milw's best player since that trade. Franco will have some big expectations to fill. Also this must mean Super 2 timing has reached it's exit and promotions will be happening all around MLB teams.

Finally get to see why Tampa traded Adames who's been nothing short of Milw's best player since that trade. Franco will have some big expectations to fill. Also this must mean Super 2 timing has reached it's exit and promotions will be happening all around MLB teams.

And at the time of the trade they called up Taylor Walls to replace Adames. Their 6th ranked prospect, and probably sitting just outside the top 100.

They also have Vidal Brujan in AAA, their second ranked prospect and top 40 in baseball who primarily plays 2B but can play SS.

And Xavier Edwards, a second baseman, their 4th ranked and top 70 is in AA.

In summary, it must be nice to be the Rays' fan.

I thought the pitcher substance checks were supposed to occur after innings?

This is just silly. Scherzer gets a strikeout, so Girardi asks for a substance check. At a minimum, just trying to throw him off. Every umpire converges on Scherzer. Dave Martinez comes out and is livid. I'm with him on this one - if they lodge an appeal, it needs to wait until after the inning.

Adames had a Hiura/JBJ like 42 wRC+ in April. If he was on the Brewers at that time, Brewerfan would have demanded he be replaced immediately.

This is just silly. Scherzer gets a strikeout, so Girardi asks for a substance check. At a minimum, just trying to throw him off. Every umpire converges on Scherzer. Dave Martinez comes out and is livid. I'm with him on this one - if they lodge an appeal, it needs to wait until after the inning.

Managers have always had the right to ask pitchers to be checked, even if it's just to get in a guy's head. They just never have because they knew that their own pitchers were doing it too.

Adames had a Hiura/JBJ like 42 wRC+ in April. If he was on the Brewers at that time, Brewerfan would have demanded he be replaced immediately.

Rays fans did that, they certainly were not upset in losing Adames. Consensus was good team guy but time to go.

Managers have always had the right to ask pitchers to be checked, even if it's just to get in a guy's head. They just never have because they knew that their own pitchers were doing it too.

Unless their name is Fredi Gonzalez…

Cubs with a 4 pitcher no hitter against the dodgers last night. Davies threw 6 of the innings with 5 of the 8 walks allowed.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Cubs with a 4 pitcher no hitter against the dodgers last night. Davies threw 6 of the innings with 5 of the 8 walks allowed.

I stayed up watching hoping the cubs would blow it. Phil Bickford did an impressive job for the dodgers in that game. Came in with the bases loaded nobody out. Struck out Bryant and then got Baez to GIDP. Got out of it with I believe 5 pitches.