Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

Ozuna and his wife seem to be perfect for one another. Last year she was arrested for domestic violence after she smacked him in the face with some sort of soap dish. Lovely couple.

There are a couple Braves blogs that are saying Ozuna has a personal conduct clause in his contract that allows the Braves to walk away from the deal if he is convicted of a felony. I'm just guessing but would think this would be bargained down to a misdemeanor and then Ozuna is only subject to whatever suspension that MLB gives him. But if the Braves could walk away, I think a Yelich/Braves matchup would be a wonderful fit.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has to be the worst hiring of a manger ever. You're the White sox, you don't have that much goodwill to burn.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31526788/family-cries-foul-chicago-white-sox-change-name-food-area-honor-tony-la-russa

Apparently they changed this back last year, before LaRussa was ever hired as their manager...didn't get a chance to print that story last season because there weren't any fans in the stands frequenting LaRussa's Lounge (LaRussa's name for a pizza area has actually been a thing at that ballpark for a very long time, just in a different level). I didn't see where LaRussa himself did this or dictated it happen as a condition of his hiring a season later.

And checking the standings...yep, not the worst hiring of a baseball manager ever - or a manger, for that matter. And frankly it has zero to do with this story.

Flaherty placed on the 10-day IL with an oblique injury. It is reported to be a serious injury with no timetable on a return.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/06/cardinals-to-place-jack-flaherty-on-10-day-injured-list-with-significant-oblique-injury.html

The Cardinals rotation just got a lot worse. If Flaherty misses significant amount of games that could doom the Cardinals season. Beyond Flaherty the Cardinals don't really have a good starting rotation and without Flaherty they have a bunch of #4 and #5 pitchers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Oakland A's are feeding players a sliced bread sand which with: lettuce, a slice of tomato, and a slice of cheese.

No...I didn't forget to mention the meat, there was none.

That is beyond reprehensible. The A's/ management blaming the vendor is classic passing the buck. Juat say "WE have to do better".

The Oakland A's are feeding players a sliced bread sand which with: lettuce, a slice of tomato, and a slice of cheese.

They are an absolute joke of an organization. I would really hate being a fan of that team despite their success over the years.

Did the Oakland A's run Fyre Festival?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

For all the pundits singing their praises are the Padres really an elite team? The Brewers took 5 out of 7 and they’ve dropped 3 straight to the Cubs.

Or is their record this year (34-23) merely a product of a mediocre team beating up on bad teams including two of the leagues worst in their own division (16-6 against Colorado, Arizona Pittsburgh and Texas) 18-17 against everyone else.

For all the pundits singing their praises are the Padres really an elite team? The Brewers took 5 out of 7 and they’ve dropped 3 straight to the Cubs.

Or is their record this year (34-23) merely a product of a mediocre team beating up on bad teams including two of the leagues worst in their own division (16-6 against Colorado, Arizona Pittsburgh and Texas) 18-17 against everyone else.

I think their pitching is very mediocre. I also dont think they win the NL West. The Dodgers are just too stacked.

I think their pitching is very mediocre. I also dont think they win the NL West. The Dodgers are just too stacked.

I can see the Padres going hog wild adding pitching at the trading deadline.

Community Moderator

I guess that depends on how many elite teams one believes are in the league at any given time.

538 (96 wins, tied 2nd), PECOTA (95 wins, 3rd) & FanGraphs (94 wins, 2nd) all have them projected as the 2nd or 3rd best team in MLB at the moment. They are currently 3rd in MLB by both run differential & BaseRuns.

I'd say they are as elite as any non-Dodgers team, or maybe the Dodgers are the only truly elite team?

San Diego was 13 - 12 at one point in April and that corresponded with Tatis being out with injury and then coming back and struggling for a bit. He had an OPS of .591 on April 22. Since then his OPS is 1.317
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Some of the hype so to speak on SD that hasn't been lived up to is Snell. Cy young type guy going to pitchers park the expectation was an ace level guy and they haven't gotten it. If he comes around that pitching looks much better. Maybe all that bashing of how TB handled him was off base and those guys know what they're doing. Darvish has been good and so has Musgrove.

Bullpen is actually pretty solid and reliable too, and that's even Pomeranz being out. I'd still be pretty confident in them being 2nd best NL team. There's nothing wrong with beating up on bad teams.

Padres are a media darling because they have made huge moves in the offseason for multiple years in a row and have some really exciting young stars/players. Snell/Darvish acquired, Grisham acquired, Crownenworth/Tatis Jr. debuting recently, brought in Machado, pretty notable names in the bullpen, Musgrove/Paddack/Weathers.

Man....must be fun cheering for that team.

You are kind of expected to beat up the bad teams and tread water against other good teams. If you dominated everyone you would be winning 110+ games.

Community Moderator
Man....must be fun cheering for that team.

Definitely a pretty fun run for SD fans over the last almost 120 games now, with what looks like a bright future ahead too.

After winning the 3rd fewest games from 2007-19 (only BAL & MIA were worse) they were probably a little overdue.

They are an absolute joke of an organization. I would really hate being a fan of that team despite their success over the years.

Is this probably all that much worse than what other teams are feeding their minor leaguers? I'm pretty sure your standard meal is left over hot dogs or PB&J. For all the fuss about how little these guys make the one thing MLB teams should be doing is providing them with good nutrition. I'm sure that would cost a minuscule fraction of what a pay raise for everyone would cost.

when I worked in the Fall League, we fed them one hot meal and one cold meal (breakfast or cold cut sandwiches) each day. We had yogurt, bread, condiments, cereal, etc available. The hot meal could be eggs, French toast, breakfast sandwiches, sloppy joes, macaroni and cheese, corn dogs, etc. At the time, that was considered a AAA-caliber meal, and the clubhouse dues were in line with AAA--I think $8-12/day to cover the meals, shoe cleaning, laundry, etc. I'm not sure if things are different now, but 15 years ago the organization didn't pay for all of that, instead it was the players. Now there's a greater push for nutrition, so I'm guessing teams have contracts with outside vendors rather than a clubhouse staff doing it all.

Apparently Hiura isn’t the only young hitter going through a terrible slump

Jarred Kelenic is in an 0-for-35 stretch with the Mariners that has sunk his slash line to .101/.193/.203. It's tied for the longest hitless streak by any player this season.

Apparently Hiura isn’t the only young hitter going through a terrible slump

Jarred Kelenic is in an 0-for-35 stretch with the Mariners that has sunk his slash line to .101/.193/.203. It's tied for the longest hitless streak by any player this season.

Miguel Sano is also having a bad year for the Twins. He has a slash line of .157/.270/.393 which looks like he is on pace to be as bad as his 2018 season which he had a slash line of .199/.281/.398.

I'm looking at the standings for the first time in several weeks and there's definitely some surprises, namely the Giants leading the NL West (and the Dodgers being in third place in that division), and also Oakland leading the AL West.