Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geritt Cole just set the MLB record with 61 consecutive strikeouts without a walk.

The minute Brewer fans get something nice it always has to be taken away.

Corbin Burnes record, that we endlessly followed, was strikeouts to start the season without issuing a walk. That record he still has.

Tony LaRussa is garbage.

Seconded.

"Big mistake," La Russa said Tuesday. "The fact that he's a rookie, and excited, helps explain why he just was clueless. But now he's got a clue."

"There will be a consequence he has to endure here within our family," the manager said. "It's a learning experience."

He didn't pimp it. Didn't hot dog it. Just shut up and let the kids play.

And is it any better to take a walk vs this position player? Wouldn't that be bush league too? He'd get ripped on for that too. These stupid old baseball rules make no sense. It's not unlike a team in football with a big lead late going for a 4th down on say the 20ish yd line instead of kicking a FG to rub it in. It seems bad, but in reality you're helping them out.

To noda on the Oakland topic. Yes, I've thought the same thing several years ago with all the moneyball type stuff and Oak being this poor small market. Sure I know it's technically Oakland, but overall this is a huge market. I know it's split with SF but still, this is a major city. I will give more of a pass though if they're being screwed by rights issues of some kind. Curious question, what do they on the TV rights in the area? Is there a line drawn where you get Oak and SF on the other side or do they just get both? Side note, I have a friend in NW Iowa and he gets 4-5 different MLB teams in his market since there is no home team (MN, MKE, KC, STL, Chicagos). Can't remember exact, but some combination of them.

He's also a 28 year old rookie who has earned nothing so far. If he manages to get to arbitration that homer is going to look a lot better than a walk or just standing there and letting the position player get you out.

Tim Anderson without actually saying it basically told LaRussa to get bent, which is great.

Geritt Cole just set the MLB record with 61 consecutive strikeouts without a walk.

The minute Brewer fans get something nice it always has to be taken away.

Corbin Burnes record, that we endlessly followed, was strikeouts to start the season without issuing a walk. That record he still has.

He also had the one for strikeouts without a walk at any point in the season until today.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Tony LaRussa is garbage.

Seconded.

"Big mistake," La Russa said Tuesday. "The fact that he's a rookie, and excited, helps explain why he just was clueless. But now he's got a clue."

"There will be a consequence he has to endure here within our family," the manager said. "It's a learning experience."

He didn't pimp it. Didn't hot dog it. Just shut up and let the kids play.

Tim Anderson must not be part of "the family" because he tweeted @ Mercedes to keep doing his thing.

I can't imagine how anyone thought it would be a good idea to put TLR back in a dugout, and yet here we are.

Twins threw behind Mercedes tonight. This was TLR's response.

I don't know how you keep this clown. He's just telling teams to go and throw at his players based on any perceived slight. Would legitimately consider not taking the field if I was a player until this asshat is fired.

I don't know how you keep this clown. He's just telling teams to go and throw at his players based on any perceived slight. Would legitimately consider not taking the field if I was a player until this asshat is fired.

Yikes, I was expecting the LaRussa signing to cause problems like this eventually, but it's only May 18th! I like watching this White Sox team, they're super talented, but I kind of want some more clubhouse drama to muck things up until LaRussa is canned. Terrible hire.

Yikes, I was expecting the LaRussa signing to cause problems like this eventually, but it's only May 18th! I like watching this White Sox team, they're super talented, but I kind of want some more clubhouse drama to muck things up until LaRussa is canned. Terrible hire.

Grab some popcorn & enjoy the show...

Literally one of the worst hires I have ever seen in sports. That White Sox team is filled with fun and exuberant players and to hire this (insert expletive here) is just a slap in the face to the fanbase. It would have been like hiring this guy when Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Hart and Hardy were coming up. Sure he WAS a great manager, but he's such an insufferable human that it makes rooting for Ken Macha easy.

Literally one of the worst hires I have ever seen in sports. That White Sox team is filled with fun and exuberant players and to hire this (insert expletive here) is just a slap in the face to the fanbase. It would have been like hiring this guy when Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Hart and Hardy were coming up. Sure he WAS a great manager, but he's such an insufferable human that it makes rooting for Ken Macha easy.

No, just no.

I wouldn't mind TLR devastating another team with his toxic brand, but this white sox team is a fun and exciting team and he's going to wreck it. The fans generally have long since moved on from the "unwritten rules" crap.

On a sidenote, does any other sport see players thrown out for such frivolous garbage as what happens in baseball? As far as I'm aware, every other sport doesn't allow umps/refs to throw players out for such minor slights as what happens in baseball. Very rarely will I agree with an ejection. People should start asking for a refund for their ticket when Kris Bryant or Yelich or whoever gets thrown out in the 2nd inning because they tell an ump they got the call wrong...and now they don't get to see their favorite player play the rest of the game.

I wouldn't mind TLR devastating another team with his toxic brand, but this white sox team is a fun and exciting team and he's going to wreck it. The fans generally have long since moved on from the "unwritten rules" crap.

On a sidenote, does any other sport see players thrown out for such frivolous garbage as what happens in baseball? As far as I'm aware, every other sport doesn't allow umps/refs to throw players out for such minor slights as what happens in baseball. Very rarely will I agree with an ejection. People should start asking for a refund for their ticket when Kris Bryant or Yelich or whoever gets thrown out in the 2nd inning because they tell an ump they got the call wrong...and now they don't get to see their favorite player play the rest of the game.

Are you saying that the players and coaches should be able to argue with the umpires as much as they want?

Imagine how long games would go if it was acceptable to argue every single call?

There has to be a line drawn someplace.

Regarding LaRussa - I hate the personality, but love him as a manager. If it's simply about winning games on the field, the White Sox made a quality hire - many here will harpoon me for saying it but it's true. LaRussa will rank 2nd in MLB history to the likes of Connie Mack for total wins later this season, and on top of that he's in the top 30 in win percentage in MLB history for managers with over 1,000 wins. There's also a huge segment of White Sox fans that absolutely do not view his hiring and everything that he drags along with him persona-wise as bad for the team they root for.

Argue all you want against his unwritten rules nonsense - a big part of me thinks his teams never have really practiced what he preaches and it's a mental angle he presses to stay under the opponents' skin much more than a baseball manager should be, and to take heat off his own players. His personality is also the reason he can't seem to stay in one clubhouse forever for a manager with his record of success, so he gets in his own way from being universally regarded as the best in-game baseball manager there ever has been spanning multiple eras....but it's tough to argue the results.

I think the problem is there is no "warning" system in MLB. In the NBA if you argue or something it's a technical so the other team gets a free throw and you're one technical away from an ejection. You can get a 15 yard penalty in the NFL which likely kills a drive on offense or gets the offense a significant chunk of yards to get closer to scoring if you're on defense. In hockey you can be penalized. There's nothing like that in MLB. I guess you could give a team a free baserunner or something but even that player is fairly unlikely to score.

Are you saying that the players and coaches should be able to argue with the umpires as much as they want?

Imagine how long games would go if it was acceptable to argue every single call?

I see your point and I guess I'm not suggesting we eliminate them completely. But the case you are talking about is extreme. Most ejections come from a couple words, a thrown bat, some other version of petty crap. The whole going on and on for 2-3 minutes usually happens after a player or manager gets tossed. And how often do you see umps follow a pissed off hitter to the dugout just hoping he'll say the wrong thing? These guys have too much power and I'm sick of it.

I like the idea of a warning system. I also like the idea of each warning coming with a small fine that gets donated by the league to charity. That's just so much better than having a star player get ejected in the 4th inning for telling the ump he's wrong, especially considering a fair amount of the time the ump is in fact wrong in those cases.

No, just no.

The implosion under Macha was the worst moment in the 30 years I’ve been a fan. Nothing makes Macha look good

Kluber with a no-no tonight....that's 6 on the year (and not counting MadBum's 7 inning no-no in a shortened game)...so essentially 7 no hitters already this season. The all time record for no hitters in a major league season is 8....in 1884. The modern era of baseball has had 7 9-inning no hitters thrown in a season 3 times....1990, 1991, and 2012. Right now MLB is on pace for well over 20 no-hitters in the season, obliterating any prior records. The most shocking part of this to me is this is occuring in an era where a starter going the full 9 is exceedingly rare based on pitch count limits and it being right at the start of the year (where managers are going to err on the side of caution and pull pitchers early). Sure the pitching is better....but it's not THAT much better.

People look at the putrid Brewers' offense and wonder how they're even hovering around 0.500 a quarter into the season...in large part it's because most teams' offenses are also terrible, and some teams that are a bit better don't have as strong a pitching staff.

The implosion under Macha was the worst moment in the 30 years I’ve been a fan. Nothing makes Macha look good

Implosion? Manny Parra was the #2 starter in 2009. Randy Wolf was the #2 starter in 2010. Nothing Macha did, good or bad, was going to overcome the complete lack of starting pitching.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I love seeing TLR lose the clubhouse. He’s completely disconnected with where the game is going and how the players act. I heard he also made a statement like “Lance has a locker. I have an office” in regards to Lance Lynn disagreeing with him. LaRussa is the biggest douche in baseball.

I see your point and I guess I'm not suggesting we eliminate them completely. But the case you are talking about is extreme. Most ejections come from a couple words, a thrown bat, some other version of petty crap. The whole going on and on for 2-3 minutes usually happens after a player or manager gets tossed. And how often do you see umps follow a pissed off hitter to the dugout just hoping he'll say the wrong thing? These guys have too much power and I'm sick of it.

I like the idea of a warning system. I also like the idea of each warning coming with a small fine that gets donated by the league to charity. That's just so much better than having a star player get ejected in the 4th inning for telling the ump he's wrong, especially considering a fair amount of the time the ump is in fact wrong in those cases.

After watching several of Jomboy's lip reading breakdowns it's amazing how many ejections happen after an umpire escalates the situation.

Anyone notice the screwy schedule quirk for the Twins??

- Twins miss games due to Covid issue

- Twins need to make up 2 games at LA Angels

- Only 1 shared off day remains for the teams (5/20/21)

So, twins play a day gm vs ChiSox (in Minnie) on Weds 5/19. Twins then fly to LAA to play double header today (5/20). After these games, Twins will fly to CLE to begin a 3 game set.

BTW: CLE & LAA finished a series last night. While LAA has awaited the Twins to play 2 games today, CLE has flown back home to await the arrival of the Twins on Friday night...