Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

The no hitters are a combo of pitchers throwing harder with better breaking stuff than ever before AND hitters swinging harder and trying to crush balls than ever before.

My friend that worked in baseball for many years used to suggest that if a team didn’t party hard on the road, they could win their divisions. He said road trips were a challenge when teams went to fun cities.

I wonder if there were a team of Jeff Cirillo, Bill Mueller, and Lyle Overbay types in today’s game, if they could dominate due to sustained rallies from putting the ball in play and line drives. These guys never tried to lift the ball, and with less launch and all-field approaches these guys might be the next undervalued type of hitters

The shift would take care of those line drives.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where to go with this and didn't want to make a new thread. I haven't watched close to every inning but have Cain, JBJ and Taylor been our entire outfield at any point this season? When is the last time a team had an entire outfield of African American players? I feel like that would be many years ago and probably never for the Crew.

Is Taylor African American?

I've actually wondered that, as I'm pretty sure he's caucasian but every once in a while there's a shot where he looks like he's light-skinned African American. I always just assumed he was very tan, or maybe had some Greek or Italian ancestry. But when discussing racial makeup of the team, it's an interesting question. And even though I teach some 300+ students each year, I can't recall ever teaching a Tyrone, regardless of race, so I can't fall back on past experiences.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Mariners are expected to call up top prospect and Wisconsin native, Jarred Kelenic on Thursday.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Is Taylor African American?

I don’t really pay attention to such things but I’m sure it’s happened quite often over the years.

I can't find confirmation but I am pretty sure he is mixed race.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wade Miley throws a no hitter at CLE.

Cinci wins 3-0

2nd time CLE has been no-hit in 2021...

Already the 4th no hitter this year in MLB. So much for more balls in play.

Am I the only one who doesn’t get excited about no hitters anymore? They have become way too common for me to consider them special, and much more often than not they are thrown by pitchers who are not in the elite category.

I get excited about any complete game.

Shane Bieber is on pace for 400+ Ks

If I am living in Oakland I am telling them to go pound sand. If they want a new stadium to go crowd fund it themselves if they need funding. The using cities and states as piggy banks for the ultra wealthy needs to come to an end and soon.

They could probably get more money through crowd funding than if they asked a city for funding. There are plenty of creative ways where they could get a crowd funding started with rewards to the backers. For example for donating $5 you could get your name on a brick in the stadium or for $10,000 you get a bathroom named after you. You could even throw in something like for $100,000 you get season tickets for x number of year(s), a seat with your name on it, take batting practice before the game and throw out the first pitch at a game of your choosing. There is a lot more that a team could do to get some crowd funding and raise upwards of $300m or more if a video game company can raise $360m through crowd funding I don't see why a MLB team wouldn't be able to do this.

If Oakland wants to lose them that’s what they will do.

A number of other cities will be more then willing to help foot the bill to get an mlb team.

The small tax to help keep the Brewers and the Bucks was well worth it. IMO

Pro teams bring in million upon million of tax dollars and do help local/state economies. These 'rich' owners are able to get money because they have something valuable to provide in the form of the pro team. The concept of giving tax breaks to rich companies etc. makes sense...unfortunately all too often they get way too much. This is especially true with pro teams when officials are desperate to keep them for the 'prestige' of having one. Though that may be a bit less relevant in the Oakland/California area that already has a flurry of teams around. Certainly a bit more of a thing when it comes to cities like Milwaukee.

Pro teams bring in million upon million of tax dollars and do help local/state economies. These 'rich' owners are able to get money because they have something valuable to provide in the form of the pro team. The concept of giving tax breaks to rich companies etc. makes sense...unfortunately all too often they get way too much. This is especially true with pro teams when officials are desperate to keep them for the 'prestige' of having one. Though that may be a bit less relevant in the Oakland/California area that already has a flurry of teams around. Certainly a bit more of a thing when it comes to cities like Milwaukee.

I don't think rich needs quotes. If they own a sports team they're actually rich.

I don't think rich needs quotes. If they own a sports team they're actually rich.

Depends on the team, but when we are talking building a half a billion dollar or more stadium people act like these owners can just whip it out of their piggy bank. Sometimes the teams are owned by groups or just not that wealthy of owners. While they are certainly rich, they don’t swim in money like many think. They are usually rich because all of their value isn’t sitting in a bank account, but working for them in different ways.

I’d call someone with a 500k house in rural Wisconsin rich, but that doesn’t mean they can afford to even put 20% of the money for that home upfront.

Difference is though a pro team owner can go bargain for the money they need and not go to a bank. They have millions in value to give and if they leave it all goes with them. And some likely could afford to build the thing with money in their bank account, but they don’t have to because of the power they have...us peasants do not.

Geritt Cole just set the MLB record with 61 consecutive strikeouts without a walk.

The minute Brewer fans get something nice it always has to be taken away.

Reminds me of Melvin Gordon getting 408 (in three quarters), then Perine breaking the record the following Saturday.

Oakland has already lost the Raiders and Warriors in the past two years. Amazing to think they could lose a third major franchise.

I’ve been paying a 0.5% sales tax in Brown County for my entire adult life. Alameda County has roughly 6x the population of metro GB. They aren’t getting a ton of sympathy from me.

Geritt Cole just set the MLB record with 61 consecutive strikeouts without a walk.

The minute Brewer fans get something nice it always has to be taken away.

Reminds me of Melvin Gordon getting 408 (in three quarters), then Perine breaking the record the following Saturday.

Wisconsin can’t have nice things. Evidence of both of these happenings