Brewer Fanatic

2021 Misc. MLB News

TURBO

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He's been hitting against live pitching (batting practice, but going full speed) all spring and hitting well. He said there has been an adjustment, but he's at least going to give it a shot. More power to him if he makes it back.

I think more so than depth perception, hitting is timing. If you pick up the spin on the ball, you know if it's a curve or a fastball. Or just guess, which is what a lot of hitters do.

He's been hitting against live pitching (batting practice, but going full speed) all spring and hitting well. He said there has been an adjustment, but he's at least going to give it a shot. More power to him if he makes it back.

I think more so than depth perception, hitting is timing. If you pick up the spin on the ball, you know if it's a curve or a fastball. Or just guess, which is what a lot of hitters do.

There was an ESPN article from February about Drew Robinson (LINK) that goes into detail about what lead to his suicide attempt and the aftermath which includes his return to the diamond. It is a pretty tough read and I’m glad to see he wants to help people who are struggling with mental health like he did and to reduce the stigma of getting help if you need it. Within the article they touch on the question about depth perception:

Myint, the eye surgeon, says that the binocular vision two eyes provide matters for up-close depth perception. But hitters typically decide to swing when the ball is about 45 feet from home plate, where depth-perception issues, Myint says, would not necessarily manifest themselves. And because, as a baseball player, Robinson's brain has already exhibited a unique ability to track high-speed movement, the aptitude he had been showing in all these batting-practice sessions, Myint says, could be very real.

John Means no-hits the Mariners with 12 strikeouts, and he was oh so close to a perfect game: the only baserunner to reach did so on a strikeout that got away from the catcher.

Things looking up for the O's. Just think after this year, only one more year of the Chris Davis contract!

Albert Pujols has been DFA'd.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Splitting hairs but it sounds like he's just being straight up released. Maybe they see no point to the formality of letting him sit on waivers for a few days.

Splitting hairs but it sounds like he's just being straight up released. Maybe they see no point to the formality of letting him sit on waivers for a few days.

Dude is like 55 years old. He can sit as long as he wants to :)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Nobody will claim him, but if he's still interested in playing what team needs help at 1B?

It'd be cool just to have Pujols on the Brewers so his plaque in Cooperstown stated he played for Milwaukee. The difference between Vogelbach and Pujols in the here and now isn't so great.

It'd be cool just to have Pujols on the Brewers so his plaque in Cooperstown stated he played for Milwaukee. The difference between Vogelbach and Pujols in the here and now isn't so great.

The real benefit would be that he could teach the ignorant Brewers the RIGHT WAY to play the game!

Community Moderator
Wade Miley throws a no hitter at CLE.

Cinci wins 3-0

2nd time CLE has been no-hit in 2021...

Already the 4th no hitter this year in MLB. So much for more balls in play.

It is sort of incredible Cleveland has been no hit twice in the past three weeks or so, and both against LHPs (Rodón and Miley).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Cinci wins 3-0

It is sort of incredible Cleveland has been no hit twice in the past three weeks or so, and both against LHPs (Rodón and Miley).

And both by former Brewers

Community Moderator
And both by former Brewers

Ummmm???

When was Carlos Rodon a Brewer??

It doesn’t exactly qualify as being a former Brewer, but Rodon was drafted by the Brewers out of high school.

One story that always stands out for me happened during Rodon’s junior year at NC State in 2014 when he was in contention to go 1:1 in the upcoming draft (ultimately went 3rd overall). Brewers GM Doug Melvin was asked about Rodon in an interview and it was pretty clear he had no idea who Rodon even was or why he was being asked about him. I know GMs don’t typically have much to do with the draft, so I guess it shouldn’t have really been that surprising, but I found it a little funny that here’s a player you seemingly tried to sign three years earlier after drafting, and now he’s considered potentially the best amateur arm in the upcoming draft and his name doesn’t ring a bell for your GM.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Cinci wins 3-0

Am I the only one who doesn’t get excited about no hitters anymore? They have become way too common for me to consider them special, and much more often than not they are thrown by pitchers who are not in the elite category.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Cinci wins 3-0

Am I the only one who doesn’t get excited about no hitters anymore? They have become way too common for me to consider them special, and much more often than not they are thrown by pitchers who are not in the elite category.

Yes

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Cinci wins 3-0

Am I the only one who doesn’t get excited about no hitters anymore? They have become way too common for me to consider them special,

Tell that to the Brewers.

The no hitters are a combo of pitchers throwing harder with better breaking stuff than ever before AND hitters swinging harder and trying to crush balls than ever before.

My friend that worked in baseball for many years used to suggest that if a team didn’t party hard on the road, they could win their divisions. He said road trips were a challenge when teams went to fun cities.

I wonder if there were a team of Jeff Cirillo, Bill Mueller, and Lyle Overbay types in today’s game, if they could dominate due to sustained rallies from putting the ball in play and line drives. These guys never tried to lift the ball, and with less launch and all-field approaches these guys might be the next undervalued type of hitters