Brewer Fanatic

Michael Brantley to Astros [originally reported to Blue Jays]

Eye Black
He played two games at 1B last year...two games. He wasn’t even a full time 1B with Seattle. He had 80 games or so at DH and only 50 at 1B. He is a platoon DH in all honesty. In that role his offense is of decent value. At 1B he pretty much kills all value needing a platoon partner and being horrid on defense.

Yeah, he can play first base, but he wouldn't add much value to the team if he did. If I had to guess after looking at what he's done, he'll have a slightly above average bat for a 1B/DH, but his defense if used as a first baseman negates that offensive value. Put him on the same side of the infield with Hiura, and we probably have the worst right-side-of-the-infield defense in baseball.

My question is, if we only have enough money to upgrade one position, do you upgrade first base to replace Vogelbach, or do you upgrade third base which would probably move Urias to SS and Arcia to either a utility role or a trade candidate?

My first choice all offseason (of people who have a realistic chance of being signed by the Brewers) has been Tommy La Stella, so I hope they can sign him to a 2-3 year deal to be the regular third baseman who can also play first base when needed. I'd still like to see a first baseman signed as well, but with La Stella, when they need defense late in games, they can either go La Stella at 3B, Arcia at SS, Urias at 2B (replace Hiura), or Urias at 3B, Arcia at SS, La Stella at 1B (replacing Vogelbach). He seems to be "plus defense" at 1B/3B and "negative defense" at 2B.

Edit add: I don't see anyone who really "knocks my socks off" as an everyday first baseman, and I don't want two 1B/DH only guys on the roster unless they announce that we will have a DH this year. I guess if we don't have a DH, I'm okay with Vogelbach as the LH option and a multi-position guy (like a Gyorko re-signing) as the RH option. Two guys who can only play 1B really limits the team, which is not something Stearns seems to like to do.

Sign Gyorko to a similar deal we signed him to last year, 1B covered.

I'd be fine with bringing Gyroko back, but I also feel that if we don't act relatively soon, someone else will grab him up on us.

I'm sure DS is exhausting other options first, but if he waits too long, it could be too late.

As far as Arcia being a trade candidate, in all seriousness, what could we expect back for him? I think he would have negative value on the trade market.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'd be fine with bringing Gyroko back, but I also feel that if we don't act relatively soon, someone else will grab him up on us.

I'm sure DS is exhausting other options first, but if he waits too long, it could be too late.

As far as Arcia being a trade candidate, in all seriousness, what could we expect back for him? I think he would have negative value on the trade market.

Yep agreed, if Stearns is making moves he needs to do them soon... Before the decent to good players are gone.

I think/hope that moves will start coming quickly now that some bigger names are coming off the market. It's normal for teams and players to wait until the bigger names "set the market," but usually that happens before the end of January.

I am interested to see if some of the mid-tier names can be signed at big discounts. The "Covid concern" doesn't seem to be causing the big names to take discounts.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I wonder if DS is waiting for one particular player on the FA Market or he looking for a trade

I would think he has a specific target or 3 that are free agents, but I wouldn't be surprised if his trade feelers are out there too.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived