Brewer Fanatic

Michael Brantley to Astros [originally reported to Blue Jays]

Eye Black

From Jeff Passan...

Now that Michael Brantley is headed to Toronto on a three-year deal, as @thehazelmae said, look at this lineup:

Springer 8

Biggio 4

Bichette 6

Brantley DH

Hernandez 9

Guerrero 5

Gurriel 7

Tellez 3

Jansen/Kirk 2

That is a run-scoring machine.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

From Jeff Passan...

Now that Michael Brantley is headed to Toronto on a three-year deal, as @thehazelmae said, look at this lineup:

Springer 8

Biggio 4

Bichette 6

Brantley DH

Hernandez 9

Guerrero 5

Gurriel 7

Tellez 3

Jansen/Kirk 2

That is a run-scoring machine.

It's also something out of 1995!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Jeff Passan saying the deal isn't considered done...

There is not an agreement in place between outfielder Michael Brantley and the Toronto Blue Jays, according to a source. The Blue Jays are among the teams still in on Brantley, and a deal may eventually get done, but it is not finished.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

What a deal for the Astros. Wish we could sign someone like Brantley instead of Avisail Garcia.

I wish we would just sign someone that will actually contribute in 2021... We need a 3B and 1B, Vogelbach is not the answer at 1B.

What a deal for the Astros. Wish we could sign someone like Brantley instead of Avisail Garcia.

I wish we would just sign someone that will actually contribute in 2021... We need a 3B and 1B, Vogelbach is not the answer at 1B.

I don't disagree that the team needs more depth at both 1B and 3B. But I don't know if Vogelbach should be written off completely as an option at 1B, either. They at least need to determine if his 2020 showing with the Brewers was a fluke or not. I know his defensive time at 1B with the Brewers was very limited, but he looked fine there.

I don't disagree that the team needs more depth at both 1B and 3B. But I don't know if Vogelbach should be written off completely as an option at 1B, either. They at least need to determine if his 2020 showing with the Brewers was a fluke or not. I know his defensive time at 1B with the Brewers was very limited, but he looked fine there.

But then why did Seattle DFA him after he was their full time 1B in 2019 and hit 30 bombs? Idk, I just really hope that Stearns doesnt see him as our 2021 1B... But if we didnt bring Jedd back at $1 mil or something, I dont think there's anyway we're spending $ on someone to play 1B.

But then why did Seattle DFA him after he was their full time 1B in 2019 and hit 30 bombs? Idk, I just really hope that Stearns doesnt see him as our 2021 1B... But if we didnt bring Jedd back at $1 mil or something, I dont think there's anyway we're spending $ on someone to play 1B.

The same reason the Brewers dumped Travis Shaw after he put up near star numbers in 2017 and 2018 ... or DFA'd Jesus Aguilar in 2019, the year after he hit 35 bombs and made the All-Star team. When you don't perform, and you are not a superstar-level talent, you are always going to be replaceable. MLB is a "what have you done for me lately" business.

He played two games at 1B last year...two games. He wasn’t even a full time 1B with Seattle. He had 80 games or so at DH and only 50 at 1B. He is a platoon DH in all honesty. In that role his offense is of decent value. At 1B he pretty much kills all value needing a platoon partner and being horrid on defense.

If we can DH him and have a decent platoon partner great. He has played enough 1B in the past to be a short (and I mean short) term 1B if someone is out for a few days.

It’s also much more reasonable to dump a guy after a poor season when you are a postseason ball club like the Brewers were when they got rid of Shaw/Aguilar. Vogelbach was on Mariners team that wasn’t very good. Speaks volumes to get dumped like Vogelbach when your team was fresh off a 94 loss 2019. Vogelbach is also pre arby when Shaw/Aguilar were projected salaries 10x more than his. Comparing them to each other is pretty inaccurate.

The same reason the Brewers dumped Travis Shaw after he put up near star numbers in 2017 and 2018 ... or DFA'd Jesus Aguilar in 2019, the year after he hit 35 bombs and made the All-Star team. When you don't perform, and you are not a superstar-level talent, you are always going to be replaceable. MLB is a "what have you done for me lately" business.

Yep makes sense.

Sadly, I think Vogelbach will be our 1B in 2021... Really sad because get us a good 3B and 1B, we can compete in the NL with our pitching staff... Oh well, maybe in 2022 I guess.

I will continue to be disappointed until Stearns proves me wrong and [sarcasm]makes moves for 3B and 1B.[/sarcasm]

He played two games at 1B last year...two games. He wasn’t even a full time 1B with Seattle. He had 80 games or so at DH and only 50 at 1B. He is a platoon DH in all honesty. In that role his offense is of decent value. At 1B he pretty much kills all value needing a platoon partner and being horrid on defense.

If we can DH him and have a decent platoon partner great. He has played enough 1B in the past to be a short (and I mean short) term 1B if someone is out for a few days.

It’s also much more reasonable to dump a guy after a poor season when you are a postseason ball club like the Brewers were when they got rid of Shaw/Aguilar. Vogelbach was on Mariners team that wasn’t very good. Speaks volumes to get dumped like Vogelbach when your team was fresh off a 94 loss 2019. Vogelbach is also pre arby when Shaw/Aguilar were projected salaries 10x more than his. Comparing them to each other is pretty inaccurate.

In an ideal world, sure. There is a real possibility, though, that due to financial restraints and perhaps other factors, the Brewers' roster makeup is going to be far from ideal.

The Mariners have one of the top prospects in all of baseball that they just signed to a big long-term deal in Evan White. I think his presence is likely the biggest reason they decided to move on from Vogelbach.

I'm not saying Vogelbach is a cornerstone piece for the Brewers moving forward. But he showed the ability (albeit in a limited sample) of being a useful player last year, and the Brewers would be stupid to not see if that can be replicated.

Yep makes sense.

Sadly, I think Vogelbach will be our 1B in 2021... Really sad because get us a good 3B and 1B, we can compete in the NL with our pitching staff... Oh well, maybe in 2022 I guess.

I will continue to be disappointed until Stearns proves me wrong and [sarcasm]makes moves for 3B and 1B.[/sarcasm]

There's so many options still out there that it is impossible for me to believe they are seeing Vogelbach as a full time 1B. I think the universal DH will eventually get ratified, and even then, Vogelbach is a platoon guy that will see starts against righties at DH, and see maybe a game or two a week at 1B. If the DH for some reason doesn't get ratified, he'll see more time at 1B, but with all the versatility the Brewers seem to be going after, I doubt it's a straight platoon. I'm thinking 2-3 games a week at 1B tops.

Yep makes sense.

There's so many options still out there that it is impossible for me to believe they are seeing Vogelbach as a full time 1B. I think the universal DH will eventually get ratified, and even then, Vogelbach is a platoon guy that will see starts against righties at DH, and see maybe a game or two a week at 1B. If the DH for some reason doesn't get ratified, he'll see more time at 1B, but with all the versatility the Brewers seem to be going after, I doubt it's a straight platoon. I'm thinking 2-3 games a week at 1B tops.

I sure hope you're right... I want either Cron or Moreland as our 1B, Moreland if we sign someone like Gyorko to play 3B... Then Cron if we sign someone like Lamb or LaStella to play 3B... Need to balance it out because we need at least one more lefty in our lineup.

So many people longing for LaStella...

If he is the be all, end all at 3B, someone will snatch him up for a higher number than we will be willing to pay.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up, but I have a feeling there will be a lot of broken hearts at brewerfan.net once he signs...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

If he is the be all, end all at 3B, someone will snatch him up for a higher number than we will be willing to pay.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up, but I have a feeling there will be a lot of broken hearts at brewerfan.net once he signs...

Yea it was just wishful thinking on my part.... There's a 99.9% chance that LaStella will NOT be a Brewer.

I don't think it's that La Stella is all that great so much as the free agent 3B market is a poo-poo platter of mediocrity. He's the best of a pretty sorry bunch, unless you are convinced that a 36-year-old Justin Turner can still put up solid numbers, or, perhaps more importantly, stay healthy. There are also teams looking at Marcus Semian as a potential 3B, but I have to think he's looking for SS money.

One name I haven't heard a whole lot is Didi Gregorius. He turns 31 next month, is coming off a solid season, and while the bulk of his career has been spent at SS, I would imagine he'd be able to make the switch to 3B.

I don't think it's that La Stella is all that great so much as the free agent 3B market is a poo-poo platter of mediocrity. He's the best of a pretty sorry bunch, unless you are convinced that a 36-year-old Justin Turner can still put up solid numbers, or, perhaps more importantly, stay healthy. There are also teams looking at Marcus Semian as a potential 3B, but I have to think he's looking for SS money.

One name I haven't heard a whole lot is Didi Gregorius. He turns 31 next month, is coming off a solid season, and while the bulk of his career has been spent at SS, I would imagine he'd be able to make the switch to 3B.

My god I would love his bat in our lineup.... But would he be willing to move over??? That is the million dollar question... He has played 10 innings at 3B in 2014.

Weren't we interested in him last offseason? I seem to remember some report about that.

Yeah, he can play first base, but he wouldn't add much value to the team if he did. If I had to guess after looking at what he's done, he'll have a slightly above average bat for a 1B/DH, but his defense if used as a first baseman negates that offensive value. Put him on the same side of the infield with Hiura, and we probably have the worst right-side-of-the-infield defense in baseball.

My question is, if we only have enough money to upgrade one position, do you upgrade first base to replace Vogelbach, or do you upgrade third base which would probably move Urias to SS and Arcia to either a utility role or a trade candidate?

My first choice all offseason (of people who have a realistic chance of being signed by the Brewers) has been Tommy La Stella, so I hope they can sign him to a 2-3 year deal to be the regular third baseman who can also play first base when needed. I'd still like to see a first baseman signed as well, but with La Stella, when they need defense late in games, they can either go La Stella at 3B, Arcia at SS, Urias at 2B (replace Hiura), or Urias at 3B, Arcia at SS, La Stella at 1B (replacing Vogelbach). He seems to be "plus defense" at 1B/3B and "negative defense" at 2B.

Edit add: I don't see anyone who really "knocks my socks off" as an everyday first baseman, and I don't want two 1B/DH only guys on the roster unless they announce that we will have a DH this year. I guess if we don't have a DH, I'm okay with Vogelbach as the LH option and a multi-position guy (like a Gyorko re-signing) as the RH option. Two guys who can only play 1B really limits the team, which is not something Stearns seems to like to do.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived