Brewer Fanatic

Jose Quintana Signs With Angels, 1 Year, $8 Million

RollieTime

He always seemed to do well against the Brewers, and the I think Cubs set their rotation so he'd always face the Crew. I wish him well, but I'm glad he's out of the division.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

He definitely had the Brewers number in 2018, holding them to a 196/256/324 line in 162 PAs over 7 starts, though the Crew fared a little better in 2019, posting a 262/324/500 line in 137 PAs over 6 starts.

Quintana had a couple flukey injuries in 2020, but from 2013-19 he made the most starts & threw the 5th most innings in MLB. Hopefully Jose can get back on that track & help solve the Angels pitching woahs (27th in runs allowed WAR during the Trout era).

Just for fun:

Quintana gave the Cubs 5.4 WAR (per Fangraphs) over his three seasons there.

Eloy Jimenez is 24 years old, and has already given the White Sox 3.6 WAR. They have him for four more years.

Dylan Cease is 25 years old with one year of service time and has given 0.3 WAR. He doesn't hit arbitration until 2023.

The other two prospects in the trade have been released (Matt Rose) or elected minor league free agency (Bryant Flete).

Now that a few years have passed, and Quintana's tenure as a Cub is over, who do you think won the trade?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

who on earth is going to be pitching for the Cubs this year? Hendricks and Mills and what else?

I believe Adbert Alzolay is going to get a big shot, and they just signed Shelby Miller. Alzolay has shown he can miss bats. Brewers apparently didn't think enough of Miller to keep him around. There's back end guys out there they can afford. Maybe they'll go with the Andersons, Chase and Brett and have a real Brewer look to their rotation.

who on earth is going to be pitching for the Cubs this year? Hendricks and Mills and what else?

Zach don't call me Kyle Davies

Totally forgot about him. So Hendricks and Davies as your 1 and 2 isnt awful. Mills and his 4.48 era isnt a great number 3. And then a rookie who was solid not spectacular in the minors as your number 4. They will need a lot of veteran fliers to fill out the rotation because Mills and Alzolay are more likely to struggle than to succeed.

I am thoroughly enjoying the Cubs offseason

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Just for fun:

Quintana gave the Cubs 5.4 WAR (per Fangraphs) over his three seasons there.

Eloy Jimenez is 24 years old, and has already given the White Sox 3.6 WAR. They have him for four more years.

Dylan Cease is 25 years old with one year of service time and has given 0.3 WAR. He doesn't hit arbitration until 2023.

The other two prospects in the trade have been released (Matt Rose) or elected minor league free agency (Bryant Flete).

Now that a few years have passed, and Quintana's tenure as a Cub is over, who do you think won the trade?

White Sox and it's not even close.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Creep can roll, man.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived