Brewer Fanatic

Burnes to White Sox rumors

There might not be a player in the entire major leagues who it would make less sense to trade right now than Burnes. He clearly has ace upside but no team is going to give you an ace package for him (or even an above-average starter package for him) going into 2021.

Obviously made up by a White Sox fan, but hey there's nothing else out there about the Brewers right now so I get the three page thread.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a price for everyone. And when one of the few rumors we heard about the Brewers popped up about them willing to listen on SP, it’s understandable teams would call. I love Burnes, but let’s be honest he hasn’t been a model of consistency so far in his career.

There might not be a player in the entire major leagues who it would make less sense to trade right now than Burnes. He clearly has ace upside but no team is going to give you an ace package for him (or even an above-average starter package for him) going into 2021.

Obviously made up by a White Sox fan, but hey there's nothing else out there about the Brewers right now so I get the three page thread.

I agree with this. It only makes sense to trade him if someone values him as a young ace or close to it. Which is why as you noted, it makes little sense to move him and he probably wont move

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the situation. Every player has a price, Burnes included. However, it is imperative for small market teams like the Brewers to develop homegrown Aces because they simply aren't available to them in FA. Because of this fact alone, trading Burnes and the potential that he becomes an Ace, would require such a ridiculous overpay from another team that it becomes extremely unlikely, nearly impossible.

Vaughn, Madrigal, and Kopech would be mandatory if I were Stearns and that isn't happening.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the situation. Every player has a price, Burnes included. However, it is imperative for small market teams like the Brewers to develop homegrown Aces because they simply aren't available to them in FA. Because of this fact alone, trading Burnes and the potential that he becomes an Ace, would require such a ridiculous overpay from another team that it becomes extremely unlikely, nearly impossible.

Vaughn, Madrigal, and Kopech would be mandatory if I were Stearns and that isn't happening.

I agree with you in general, but I would say moreso that trading Burnes only happens if a package is offered that values him as if he'll be 2020 Burnes going forward. Obviously that would place a massive value on Burnes, and a fair price based on that valuation would be a pretty insane package. If a team tries to look at his career numbers and offer a package based on that...use it as toilet paper.

One thing I'll add, I saw Robert mentioned earlier in here. Even the very highest possible valuation for Burnes...and Robert isn't happening. There's just no way, he's way too good and too valuable. He's a guy that if I was the White Sox, I would firmly pull him off the table.

Archived