Brewer Fanatic

RIP Don Sutton

DocLuna7
Very sad to hear the news that Don Sutton passed away last night. He obviously spent most of his Hall of Fame career as a Dodger but boy it sure seemed like he provided some great momentum when the Crew acquired him in 1982. RIP Don.

Yeah, I saw this about 20 minutes ago and a lump appeared in my throat pretty instantaneously. He was a good pitcher for the Dodgers and the Angels and A’s.

But I will always picture him as a Brewer. RIP

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Very sad to hear the news that Don Sutton passed away last night. He obviously spent most of his Hall of Fame career as a Dodger but boy it sure seemed like he provided some great momentum when the Crew acquired him in 1982. RIP Don.

Yes, that was the big trade that put them over the top in 1982. Pitched in some big games, including the division clincher in Baltimore on the last day of the regular season, then stayed a few more years. He always said he had the most fun of his career playing for the Brewers. RIP.

The trade acquiring Sutton was huge. I don't remember who the #5 guy was up until then (Medich? McClure?). I believe the finale' against the Orioles was the most important game in team history (until recently) and he was the starter. Also, he wasn't just a rental like nowadays. He stuck around a couple more seasons. However with that said, no one mentions his wretched performance in the WS. If he comes through in just one of his two starts, the Brewers likely take it. But just getting there was half the battle.

However with that said, no one mentions his wretched performance in the WS. If he comes through in just one of his two starts, the Brewers likely take it. But just getting there was half the battle.

True, and if Fingers would have been able to pitch in that World Series, I think we would remember 1982 a little differently as well...

:tired

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

However with that said, no one mentions his wretched performance in the WS. If he comes through in just one of his two starts, the Brewers likely take it. But just getting there was half the battle.

True, and if Fingers would have been able to pitch in that World Series, I think we would remember 1982 a little differently as well...

:tired

Ladd was fabulous in the ALCS. Fingers could have blown one close game in the ALCS and there would be no World Series. Whenever the whatif game is played, this narrative doesn’t get much play.

No Sutton in 82, probably no playoffs or WS in 82.

Archived