Brewer Fanatic

Joe Musgrove traded to Padres in 3-team deal

Eye Black

Pirates are reportedly trading starting pitcher Joe Musgrove to the Padres. Musgrove just turned 28 in December and is from San Diego.

The Pirates will be receiving multiple prospects in return including outfielder Hudson Head according to Jeff Passan.

Pirates are receiving 5 prospects total in return also including Omar Cruz.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Musgrove must be one of the happiest guys in the world right now. Gets traded from what could be one of the all-time worst teams to a team that can certainly contend for a title. Cherry on top is that he's from the San Diego area.

According to Dennis Lin...

Full return for Joe Musgrove, per sources: Joey Lucchesi, Hudson Head, David Bednar, Omar Cruz, Drake Fellows.

UPDATE: Apparently it’s a 3-team deal and LHP Joey Lucchesi is headed to the Mets.

Update on the Pirates return from Ken Rosenthal:

Pirates’ haul will be Hudson Head, David Bednar, Omar Cruz and Drake Fellows from Padres and Endy Rodriguez from Mets.

I really like Hudson Head, but overall the deal seems underwhelming for the Pirates despite the quantity of players they are receiving in return.

Update on the Pirates return from Ken Rosenthal:

Pirates’ haul will be Hudson Head, David Bednar, Omar Cruz and Drake Fellows from Padres and Endy Rodriguez from Mets.

I really like Hudson Head, but overall the deal seems underwhelming for the Pirates despite the quantity of players they are receiving in return.

I thought the same thing at first glance but getting one top 10 prospect and three guys in or near the mid-teens is probably not too bad overall. It's not like Musgrove is some kind of stud. Certainly a decent pitcher who isn't making a lot of money the next couple of years either, however.

Seems like good value for Musgrove, He is basically a backend starter and they got quite a few prospects for him. I would have expected more in return for Joey Lucchesi though. Honestly, Musgrove and Lucchesi are not that far apart in terms of talent. He had a bad year last year, but otherwise he was basically a cost controlled league average starter. I would have been in on him if all it would cost is a young C like P.Henry, Kahle, Warren, or Quero. We have quite a bit of depth at C.

I guess some of it depends on what you think of Joe Musgrove. I consider him to be a better than league average starter, not a back of the rotation piece, so I am slightly underwhelmed for the Pirates. That being said, I would be excited to have Hudson Head if I was a Pittsburgh fan.

Yeah, Musgrove is kind of tricky to pin down.

Out of 75 pitchers with at least 300 IP from 2018-20 Joe ranks 29th by FIP- (86) but has been essentially league average with a 101 ERA-, making him the fourth worst FIP under-performer in the sample.

ZiPS projects Musgrove for 140 IP with a 92 ERA- for 2021 (2.4 WAR), which makes him kind of a slightly souped up version of Houser, who's projected at 123 IP / 96 ERA- / 1.7 WAR.

Other than Bednar all the players going to the Pirates haven’t played above A-ball. Musgrove isn’t a difference maker, and the Pirates will be lucky if one of those players makes an impact on their big league roster.

• 2 months later...

Joe Musgrove just threw a no-hitter for the Padres, the first in their franchise’s history.

Acquiring former Pirates starting pitchers may be the ultimate market inefficiency.

I was at the game in Arlington tonight. What an experience that was. I cannot wait until we see another no-hitter in Milwaukee. Hard to imagine a more dramatic game in April.

I feel like we're going to see one at some point this year. I know the odds are against that, but Woody and Burnes are so nasty when they're on(Peralta as well).

Of course we could see a couple in Milwaukee that aren't quite so favorable to the home team...

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I was at the game in Arlington tonight. What an experience that was. I cannot wait until we see another no-hitter in Milwaukee. Hard to imagine a more dramatic game in April.

That’s awesome you were able to attend it!

Apparently with the Padres getting the no-hitter the Brewers now have the second longest drought without one. Only Cleveland has gone longer without a no-hitter.

Apparently with the Padres getting the no-hitter the Brewers now have the second longest drought without one. Only Cleveland has gone longer without a no-hitter.

Without looking, would that be the Len Barker perfect game (1980, I believe)?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Without looking, would that be the Len Barker perfect game (1980, I believe)?

Yes, Large Lenny Barker

May 15, 1981..

Ron Hassey catching the 1st of 2 perfect games in his career (91 with Dennis Martinez was the other). Only catcher with 2 perfectos.

If you look up the box score there is an interesting name (& mainstay in a different sport) starting at 3B for the Blue Jays...

Hint: Mother F'n Celtic

The game happened to be live broadcast locally (WUAB 43, announced by Joe Tait of basketball fame & Bruce Drennan) so everyone acts like they were at the game in person although the live crowd was under 10k.

I saw the Ericson no-no versus the Brewers at the Dome and was very torn. I wanted to see the no hitter but I also did not want to be no-hit. I do remember I had two very good tickets for the game and called literally every Twins fan I new and none of them would go and boy were they all mad that night.

Archived