Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign UTL Jace Peterson to minor league deal

With Urias able to cover for Shaw and SS would probably go with Jace Peterson. Peterson isn't a good option but at least has shown the ability to get on base and can cover for OF if Taylor is indeed optioned. I hope they don't go with the depth move and option Urias while keeping both Peterson and Robertson..

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst our eyes are understandably focused on today’s expected call-up of Keston Hiura, I think the team also faces a decision on Jace Peterson today or tomorrow, as his rehab is not meant to last more than 20 days.

Since Jace Peterson and Daniel Robertson are both out of options, this may be a tough decision for the club.

Assuming Taylor is optioned to make way for Hiura. D Rob is likely the odd man out.

Robertson really doesn’t play outfield, and infield playing time will be limited with Urias now getting regular time as a utility player. But for Robertson’s homer this weekend he’s been virtually an automatic out at the plate as well. Not to mention they’re covered with HP in the organization if they need another right handed light hitting versatile defender

urías never saw time at any other position besides short in spring training. even though he has a regular season start at second and some innings at third, part of me thinks that he's going to be groomed as a utility player with class aaa nashville for the time being.

I disagree, I think Robertson is the more likely to remain out of the two. He had 850 PAs of being a roughly league average bat (97 wRC+) before joining the Brewers, that still carries more weight than 40 poor PAs with inconsistent playing time. Peterson has been a 77 wRC+ hitter before 2021. There's also the aspect of what will happen when the players are exposed to waivers. Peterson has signed minor-league deals the last two years and already passed through waivers once this year.

incorrect on the latter part. jace peterson has yet to be placed on outright waivers in 2021.

urías never saw time at any other position besides short in spring training. even though he has a regular season start at second and some innings at third, part of me thinks that he's going to be groomed as a utility player with class aaa nashville for the time being.

Between all levels of play, Urias has 3300 innings at 2B, 700 at 3B (Including 176 with the Brewers last year). He doesn't need to go to Nashville to work on that. Urias is also (most likely) the best bat of the three. I think the chances that he gets optioned are very, very slim.

And my bad on Peterson and waivers, forgot he went straight to the IL. Point still stands about their relative standing in the offseason though.

Verified Member
Not sure if salary matters. Minimum for Peterson, $900,000 for Robertson. Lopes should also be wrapping up a rehab assignment too. Plus if Fisher ever gets healthy, there are likely going to be 3 DFAs.

Not sure if salary matters. Minimum for Peterson, $900,000 for Robertson. Lopes should also be wrapping up a rehab assignment too. Plus if Fisher ever gets healthy, there are likely going to be 3 DFAs.

If they’re making roster decisions over $400,000, they shouldn’t be a major league team

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Milwaukee Brewers

@Brewers

· 4m

INF Keston Hiura recalled from Triple-A Nashville.

RHP Alec Bettinger optioned to Triple-A Nashville.

INF/OF Jace Peterson reinstated from the 10-day injured list and designated for assignment.

I'd be surprised if this is the last we see of Jace Peterson this year. Just isn't any room for him with Urias moving to a utility role, and Robertson back. I expect him to clear waivers and stay in Nashville, and he'll likely be an injury replacement again at some point down the road.

I'm guessing Perez was signed as AAA depth to supplant Peterson as the jack of all trades guy in the system who can fill in if needed on the big league roster at some point.

While Perez can't walk to save his life, Peterson can't hit to save his. Give me the guy who can at least swing it a little over the guy who has to rely on pitcher wildness.

if he is placed on outright waivers and clears them, jace peterson reserves the right to refuse the assignment (voiding his contract) and become a free agent.

jace peterson has cleared outright waivers. it appears that he has accepted the outright assignment with class aaa nashville.

• 2 weeks later...
Seems kinda ridiculous not to bring up Green just because Jace is on 40 man. Haven't looked at jaces numbers in minors but I know what they were in MLB.

Peterson wasn't on the 40-man, had to be re-added. Interesting that they went with another left-handed bat. I thought for sure Hernan was the favorite to get the call.

Peterson wasn't on the 40-man, had to be re-added. Interesting that they went with another left-handed bat. I thought for sure Hernan was the favorite to get the call.

Why they can't just let Peterson go is beyond me. He can take a walk, other than that he is useless. At least Hernan can swing it a little. The end of the bench with Reyes and Peterson is just so bad...

I'm guessing they picked Peterson over Perez because they aren't likely to face a LH starter for a while and they have more faith in Robertson.

My guess is that, I think it is obvious that the everyday 1st baseman is not on the roster as of now. Bring up Peterson until you acquire that guy and you can DFA him, no harm done and probably stays in your organization anyway.

Last year Jace took 61 of the Brewers 2,188 PAs, which comes out to about 2.8% of the team total.

I'd expect him to get a similar percentage in 2021.

UPDATE!!!

Jace has taken 36 of the Brewers 2,194 position player plate appearances so far, or about 1.6% of the team total.

Archived