Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Daniel Robertson- 1 Year Deal, $900,000

markedman5
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Contract is not guaranteed.

Also, he doesn't check the "Played For The Mariners" box for Stearns.

Club announced the deal, one year major deal for $900,000... Not sure if that changes anything with guaranteed or not.

No, it does not. It is not guaranteed.

Ok got it, thanks.

This link does a pretty good job breaking down the guarantee structure for players like Robertson who are still arbitration eligible...

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/guaranteed-contract

Pertinent text...

Arbitration contracts are not guaranteed either, as a club can release a player on or before the 16th day of Spring Training and be responsible for only 30 days worth of pay. Players cut between the 17th and the final day of Spring Training must be compensated for 45 days worth of pay (at the prorated version of their arbitration salary). But if a player that agreed to an arbitration salary breaks camp with the club, his contract is fully guaranteed.

I haven't seen much in the way of other compelling 3rd base options, which should factor into how the move is judged as well. That 2018 WAR number is duplicated might well equal or exceed any of the free agent options this year.

This link does a pretty good job breaking down the guarantee structure for players like Robertson who are still arbitration eligible...

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/guaranteed-contract

Pertinent text...

Arbitration contracts are not guaranteed either, as a club can release a player on or before the 16th day of Spring Training and be responsible for only 30 days worth of pay. Players cut between the 17th and the final day of Spring Training must be compensated for 45 days worth of pay (at the prorated version of their arbitration salary). But if a player that agreed to an arbitration salary breaks camp with the club, his contract is fully guaranteed.

I liked your roast beef explanation better though

Robertson said he considers 3B to be his best position, I bet Stearns agrees and he's our move at 3B.

I won't be surprised if Robertson is 2021 3B.

That's possible. If that happens, it probably means money is really tight, and the owners lost a lot of money last year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

There will be a LHH 3B acquired at some point in addition to this, of that I'm (almost) certain. This front office has always wanted balanced lineups, and to take advantage both of Miller Park and the simply fact that most pitchers are righties. Right now, there's Vogelbach, Narvaez, Yelich and perhaps McKinney on the roster who hit lefty. There will be more added, and I don't think it'll be Cozens, Ray or Erceg. They did announce Robertson as IF/OF, perhaps that tells us something about his planned role, perhaps it doesn't.

Yeah, they've been quick to dump underperformers like Brad Miller, Saladino, Sogard in 2018, Holt last year, etc.

I mean sure, but at that point the damage is already done and it is just a domino effect after. If you sign some cheap risky option that sucks the replacements are arguably worse and you are just hoping to get lucky. So if he hits like 2019 he may not get 400 ABs, but his replacements are likely to be just as worse making the entire position an utter disaster for 400+ ABs

Yeah, they've been quick to dump underperformers like Brad Miller, Saladino, Sogard in 2018, Holt last year, etc.

I mean sure, but at that point the damage is already done and it is just a domino effect after. If you sign some cheap risky option that sucks the replacements are arguably worse and you are just hoping to get lucky. So if he hits like 2019 he may not get 400 ABs, but his replacements are likely to be just as worse making the entire position an utter disaster for 400+ ABs

Every team has to have utility players, right? By definition, they're inherently lightning-in-a-bottle type guys. Heck, in the 2018 season they rotated guys like Saladino, etc. through and got acceptable production in a way, which included dumping those guys when they stopped performing.

Point is, if he's truly that bad, he won't get 400 ABs.

The crew has a few weeks left to figure out who they are going to add.

If it makes you feel any better, Robertson is the most expensive signing among NL Central teams thus far.

The Cubs, Cardinals & Reds have done even less than us on the player acquisition front while also suffering more impactful losses via non tender (Schwarber, Wong, Bradley), free agency (Lester, Quintana, Molina, Wainwright, Bauer) & trade (Darvish, Iglesias).

No it does not make me feel any better what the other teams have done or didn't do in our division.

I am concerned about what the crew has done or didn't do yet. If that is our one big addition so be it and hopefully he be able to fill a need at 3rd.

They really don't. Moose, for instance, was signed Feb 19 2019. Free agents are regularly signed after the start of Spring Training. Action has picked up, but there are still a ton of free agent options out there.

They really don't. Moose, for instance, was signed Feb 19 2019. Free agents are regularly signed after the start of Spring Training. Action has picked up, but there are still a ton of free agent options out there.

Speaking of Moose, damn I would love to work out a trade with Reds to get him back.

Why the hell didnt we just sign him to a big contract after the 2nd season????

Speaking of Moose, damn I would love to work out a trade with Reds to get him back.

Why the hell didnt we just sign him to a big contract after the 2nd season????

Because he's a 32-year-old corner infielder who, despite the love that a lot of Brewer fans have, is pretty much an average player. He also signed for a guaranteed $64 million, and proceeded to hit .230 with 8 HRs in 2020.

Because he's a 32-year-old corner infielder who, despite the love that a lot of Brewer fans have, is pretty much an average player. He also signed for a guaranteed $64 million, and proceeded to hit .230 with 8 HRs in 2020.

I'll take that over what we have currently at 3B.

of course you would....it's not your 64 million dollars.

I wouldn't at the expense of extending a guy like Woodruff. That deal for an average player would really hamstring the Brewers moving forward. The Brewers are a team that needs to pick and choose on deals like this, and handing a player like Moose $16 million a year over four years is a huge gamble.

I wouldn't at the expense of extending a guy like Woodruff. That deal for an average player would really hamstring the Brewers moving forward. The Brewers are a team that needs to pick and choose on deals like this, and handing a player like Moose $16 million a year over four years is a huge gamble.

With Yelich's salary bumping up to $26M/year in 2022, I don't really see a bigger money deal being added to Milwaukee's payroll until Cain is gone after next year. I could see some extensions to current guys, where the "pay bump" would occur a few years down the road. I could see some mid-tier $5-10M signings like we did with Garcia last offseason. I could even see a one-year "prove it" deal like we signed with Moose and Grandal, but I don't think we'll see another $15-$20M guy being signed for a longer-term deal this offseason or next.

That's why I'm hoping for something like a La Stella signing. It's not that he's a world-beater, I just think that he's about the best we could expect given our current situation.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived