Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Daniel Robertson- 1 Year Deal, $900,000

markedman5
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robertson's ZiPS projection is .235 BA / .333 OBP / .336 SLG with a 1.0 WAR projected over 289 at bats.

His Davenport projection is .238 BA / .344 OBP / .359 SLG with a 1.6 WARP projected over 375 at bats.

I assume this signing makes Mark Mathias' path to a spot on the 25-man roster more difficult.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I certainly may be misunderstanding what I'm reading but the way I interpreted it is that it's a guaranteed contract, but pending he passes a physical, and his ability to pass the physical is what's not guaranteed. Again, just the way I read it.

Tom Haudricourt: It is my understanding it is not guaranteed. Pretty confident of that.

Robertson is still Arby's eligible, so I'd guess his contract is guranteed to the same extent as any other Arby's deal.

Cut him by x-date & you only have to pay him 30 roast beefs sandwiches, cut him after x-date but before opening day & you only have to pay him 45 roast beef sandwiches.

Contract does not become fully guaranteed unless he makes the OD roster.

The brewers keep up their offseason signing players they hope to find lighting in the bottle.They must corner the market in utility Players. Going to be fun this years bench.

Do you like that philosophy better than the "reclamation projects" that you've been so critical about?

Remember ... a utility player is is only a utility player until he proves to be good enough to shed that label. Not saying guys like Robertson, Lopes and Reyes are good enough, but if you hit on one, there is the possibility of a cheap everyday player. If you squint hard enough, you could perhaps see Robertson taking Gyorko's role as the RH side of a 3B platoon, and perhaps spelling Hiura at 2B and getting some time at 1B as well.

This is one of those things where if he is the utility guy, okay, not a terrible signing.

If he is getting 400+ ABs and hitting like 2019...umm...nope.

One would hope, though, that if he's hitting like he did in 2019, there's no way he'd see 400+ ABs. They are certainly not obligated to give him those. The only way he sees those kind of numbers is if he's effective ... or I suppose if the wheels fall off somewhere.

Remember, this is the same team that only gave Travis Shaw 270 plate appearances in 2019 – when he was coming off a 32 HR, .825 OPS season – because he was struggling mightily. If Robertson doesn't show anything, they'll simply drop him before he makes too much of a negative impact.

Remember, this is the same team that relentlessly sticks with guys even when they are sucky, crappy, and ineffective.

It is not a given that a guy like him doesn't get a lot of at bats even if he is terrible.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Remember, this is the same team that relentlessly sticks with guys even when they are sucky, crappy, and ineffective.

It is not a given that a guy like him doesn't get a lot of at bats even if he is terrible.

All guys with either a history with the team, guys signed to a big deal, or guys who they consider future cornerstones, though. When was the last time they gave a minimum-wage guy who they just picked up 400 ABs? Dontcha think there is maybe a bit of hyperbole in that claim?

I mean, who? Who are you talking about that backs this claim up?

Kind of disappointed by the defensive numbers.

2 innings as a pitcher, 2 innings at 1B, 2 innings at RF...not enough data for any of those spots.

2B = 778 2/3 innings, +5 DRS, +4.1 UZR/150

3B = 526 1/3 innings, -5 DRS, -2.8 UZR/150

SS = 511 2/3 innings, -1 DRS, -10.4 UZR/150

LF = 36 1/3 innings, 0 DRS, +54.7 UZR/150 (small sample size)

It's pretty unlikely he'd see many LF innings unless Yelich has a significant injury. So considering the guy will probably be a high .600's OPS guy, or maybe be in the very low .700's, it looks like he's only a real asset playing 2B (solid late game defensive replacement for Hiura).

Kind of surprised it took a major league deal in order to sign him.

Hand and wrist injuries can really hamper a hitter. My guess is that Stearns thinks the thumb injury is the reason his numbers fell off, so if he's now healthy he can regain his lost form.

I agree with those of you who are surprised it took a major league deal. This looks like a guy who would be worth a look in Spring Training on a minor league deal. He could be a nice surprise, but there's a lot of risk that he's not worth the MLB deal... even if it is only $900,000.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Seems to me like Stearns is accumulating a bunch of cheap options for 3B and will throw them all against the wall and hope one sticks. Robertson, Green, Urias, Mathias all figure to get looks there in spring. The question is does this mean funds will be used for a more established sign to cover 1B or are they content to let Vogelbach make all the starts there against RHP and go with another cheap platoon player to face tough lefties? will that allow something leftover for a more established 4th starter? Maybe all their resources will be used to bring back Braun and let him be the platoon option at 1B?

Contract is not guaranteed.

Also, he doesn't check the "Played For The Mariners" box for Stearns.

Club announced the deal, one year major deal for $900,000... Not sure if that changes anything with guaranteed or not.

Archived